BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2012 7:26 pm  #21

Re: POLL: Would you watch Sherlock if ........

But would you say Sherlock was plot driven or character driven?

There's a hell of a lot of drama and plot but at the same time the character stuff between Sherlock and John is pretty essential to the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 21, 2012 7:54 pm  #22

I think you would have to look at each episode individually to ascertain this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 22, 2012 2:27 am  #23

Well I am glad many of you saw my point in asking this question. It does give you a moment of reflection on what you REALLY like about the show, past the drooling over actors doesn't it?

I haven't commented much, as I wanted to see other opinions, just my usual 'sit back & watch how others perceive my pondering' study really.
But I saw the title just now & thought I'd peek in again.And I'd like to add this now:

IF Benedict couldn't do the show, who would be a good stand in? Now that could either mean as a 'one off' or as a continuation of the series somehow. I don't think Matt Smith could do a one off or continuation; he is too 'insipid' too fragile looking for me.
I do think as a continuation character, they could move forward in time; Sherlock having learnt more & started becoming more like the canon Holmes & Hugh Laurie could be a more mature version.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 23, 2012 4:32 am  #24

I have seen shows that did amazingly well after the lad character changed, and sometimes even improved.. however, having heard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNzeuzYPiLc&feature=related I realised how elementary Benedict's vocal intonation is. I am a quite auditive person, and I really revel in this somewhat Victorian voice!

July 23, 2012 6:50 am  #25

That is a good question, really. My answer is yes, if the circumstances are right.
As many others have said, for me it strongly depends on who "someone else" would be, and whether he would have played Sherlock from the start instead of BC, or replaces him after, say, S4.
If it was the former, then I'd say it would be fairly easy to imagine a different actor for the role. Obviously, the fan base would be slightly different, but I guess I would still be a fan, if the actor was as believable in the role as BC.
If the writers replaced the actor after several seasons, I don't think it would go down well with many fans, myself included. I am not saying it is completely impossible, but I personally never liked the idea of multiple versions of one and the same thing. I would prefer Moffat and Gatiss to move on and make a new, different show (maybe using some of the Sherlock cast), and someone else have a try at Sherlock Holmes (as so many have successfully done in the past).
Like most of you, I would not compare such a swap to Dr. Who, as there would not be a plausible "in-universe" reason for him to change appearance.It would be more like James Bond I guess, and I have always found that a little irritating as well.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 23, 2012 11:00 pm  #26

I voted yes, but it is dependent on the circumstances. I love the show itself- the script, the camerawork, everything. As others said, if, from the beginning Sherlock was not Benedict, I would still develop the same interest. However, I would be disappointed if he was replaced with another actor now, simply because I enjoy his portrayal, how well he and Martin Freeman work together, and I am already accustomed to it. If the actor was talented and fitting for the role, I would be satisfied, yet slightly disappointed until I watched a few episodes/ became used to the new actor as Sherlock.

July 24, 2012 4:39 am  #27

hypergreenfrog wrote:

Like most of you, I would not compare such a swap to Dr. Who, as there would not be a plausible "in-universe" reason for him to change appearance.It would be more like James Bond I guess, and I have always found that a little irritating as well.

Oh, not being a Dr Who viewer I often wondered how they did that & kept fans happy. I figured Dr Who fans must be so fanatical that they really don't care/notice.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 24, 2012 6:19 am  #28

I suppose Doctor Who fans also know it is definitely going to happen sooner or later so are mentally prepared for it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 10:55 am  #29

Oh, Kazza, trust me, we notice when Doctor (never Dr) Who regenerates, it is just so much a  part of the show's mythology that we expect it. And the new Doctor usually ends up being as popular as the Doctor he replaces.

As for your question back on 22nd of June as to who could theoretically replace the actors, I'm surprised that no-one had answered that. My first reaction is NO-ONE.   

But when I calmed down and thought about it, I came up with a couple of ideas. There is an actor from Law & Order UK called Ben Daniels who would make a great Sherlock. I haven't seen him in anything else, but he has an air of eccentric authority about him. Well, thats my best description of him.

As for John, I actually think Tom Hiddleston would make a good Watson, and no, I'm not crushing on him! I've only seen him in Wallander and War Horse and he has a supporting role in each. He comes across as dependable and vulnerable in these two roles.

They are both so different to Benny and Martin and would give a totally different vibe to the show.

There are probably many others who would do a good job, But lets hope things stay as they are now. After all, John Thaw played Morse for a long time, as did John Nettles in Midsomer Murders. So maybe our boys will be able to make a series every few years around their other committments.

Ok, now shoot me down in flames!

Last edited by hepzibah (July 24, 2012 11:10 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 24, 2012 11:19 am  #30

Ah! The village of Midsomer. Not a place I would want to live.

July 24, 2012 11:39 am  #31

Joyce Barnaby was the worst serial killer in Britain and no-one ever suspected (except Tom, who had to cover for her), 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 24, 2012 8:01 pm  #32

I guess it would be smarter to choose someone quite different from Benny so as to give the poor new guy a chance.

(An aside to Americans who watch reruns and anyone else who gets it: Darrin Stevens. How weird was that?)

Last edited by veecee (July 24, 2012 11:22 pm)

July 24, 2012 10:00 pm  #33

The problem I see with this is that the writers wanted Benedict to pay the part of Sherlock from the off. They saw him as uniquely appropriate to the part. I do, however think that there are many, fantastically talented actors out there, most of whom we haven't even seen on stage or screen, who would be able to do the role justice. What makes Benedict special is not just his emotional range, voice etc. but the fact that the camera loves him. This cannot be taught it is an innate 'ability'.

October 21, 2012 4:03 am  #34

I didn't vote either way because I still haven't figured out why I like it so much. Actor or character? I think that's too hard to decide.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 10, 2012 9:23 pm  #35

Definitely yes. I did not know Martin Freeman at all and not much Benedict Cumberbatch - when told, I remembered his performance in "Atonement", so I would watch it as I like to watch Doyle´s adaptations on screen. (Well, I seldom find them interesting, but that´s another thing).
Of course, if there was a Series 4, for example, with new actors in place of Benedict and Martin, I am not sure but I  would probably give it a try. I hope this never happens, though.
There´s one British actor who would fit in the role at least physically, Laurence Fox. In addition, he has a beautiful voice.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

November 11, 2012 9:03 am  #36

Funnily enough I posted about Laurence a good while back. He has a very similar voice- they did both go to Harrow which might help explain it (although Laurence managed to get expelled, bless him!)

November 11, 2012 1:33 pm  #37

Davina wrote:

Funnily enough I posted about Laurence a good while back. He has a very similar voice- they did both go to Harrow which might help explain it (although Laurence managed to get expelled, bless him!)

Oh, did you? Sorry then. I am new here and I don´t think being able to read through the entire forum.
I happened to watch him in "Lewis", but it was dubbed. He did make me think about Holmes regarding his physical appearance. When I had the chance to listen to his voice I found it very beautiful (and sexy  ).
I didn´t find his voice similar to Benedict´s, but maybe because the idea simply did not cross my mind. Well, I will search your thread, to be sure!

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

November 11, 2012 4:41 pm  #38

If I wasn't so lazy I would find it for you.  I might yet do that...

November 30, 2012 7:52 pm  #39

I couldn't do it now that I've gotten so used to batchy and grew to love him.
But If there were an other actor form the start I think we could like him as much (maybe).
A change of actor would be, at least I think so, the worst thing possible... o.O
And of course it depends on the other actor...
Although I can't think of anyone who could do it even half as good as batchy...
I would miss his voice, his smile, his glare and his... cheekbones ^^

January 18, 2013 10:51 pm  #40

Yes, I would still watch it as it would be (slightly) better than nothing, but if Benedict left the cast I think I'd go into long-term depression...True, I didn't know him before Sherlock, but I can't imagine anyone else being as mesmerizing as he is.

Board footera