BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2015 10:49 am  #121

Re: Golden Globes 2015

SolarSystem wrote:

TwoSouls, I pretty much agree with you on the Oscar campaign for TIG. But it's not Benedict's fault at all, I would think it has a lot to do with Weinstein and how he approaches such things. Yes, Weinstein is always searching for excellent movies, at the same time he is a business man and has to think about money as well - and awards mean money. So his promotional campaigns are quite in-your-face.
The fact that Benedict talks a lot (and quite often more than others)... well, that's Benedict. I admit that by now I've heard a couple of things he has to say about TIG and Alan Turing one time too often, but let's not forget that we are fan girls who watch and read practically every single one of his interviews. So of course a lot of things seem repetitive to us, while the normal viewer or reader doesn't come across Benedict's promotional speeches again and again.
What I worry more about though are things like his photobombs. I know that his fandom loves him for stuff like this, but people in the business might think he's a snob who's trying to get even more attention through a photobomb. And I know that everyone should just be him-/herself and not care too much about what other people think of him/her. And as long as Benedict feels comfortable with the attention, it's all fine. I just hope it doesn't backfire on him eventually.

Hi Solar
Interesting to read what you say about the photobombs; when he did it at the Oscars last year, I got a sort of "oh no!" feeling about it, but felt that I was the only one here who didn't enjoy it so didn't comment on it much.
At the time I felt that it could be seen as hypocritical (he doesn't like the limelight but then appears to be grabbing it), and, as you say, he could create an image of himself as an over excitable character who is always clowning around, which could affect people's view of him when casting.
He's having fun, yes, and to an extent he can't win because if he's not clowning around, conspiracy theorists claim that he's unhappy/changed.
But he doesn't have to be a court jester, and he does send out mixed messages at times, imo.
While I'm being brave I'm also gonna say that I'm sure Karon does a fantastic job and works tirelessly, but sometimes, in my personal opinion, she's far too "obvious" - she stands out in all his red carpet appearances - I never notice anyone else's publicist - and while I know fans appreciate her steering him in all the right directions when he's signing autographs, and that's great, when she's pushing and pulling him about to get into photographers shots, I think she makes the wrong impression; it should seem like photographers are trying to get a shot of her client, not the other way around.
Just my opinion.
Fingers crossed for the Oscar nominations today.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 15, 2015 11:27 am  #122

I've never seen him as the court jester, far from it. He is one of the most well-spoken and serious in interviews. He comes across as classy and intelligent, but also able to have fun. I see no harm in it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 11:29 am  #123

Hi Tinks, nice to see you're back! 
Well, it might get a bit repetitive, but: I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Let me just say:
@Karon: I suppose we notice her and don't notice other actor's publicists simply because we don't know them and don't pay any attention to them (at least I don't). But you have a point, I notice that she's very often visible in the pics that get published and that you can't really miss her when Benedict is giving red carpet interviews. Problem is, I suppose, that she has to stay pretty close to him at all times... and maybe other publicists are just better when it comes to melting into the background, if you know what I mean.
@photobombs: I didn't have a problem with his photobomb last year, quite on the contrary, I loved it. And I still do. It seemed very spontaneous and very Benedict. I just think he should have left it at that and not have repeated it at the Golden Globes. That's just my personal taste. The moment you repeatedly do stuff like that, it doesn't feel natural anymore, at least that's my opinion. It feels as if he was seeking the attention - and seriously, he doesn't need to, people are paying attention now anyway. Finally. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 15, 2015 11:34 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 15, 2015 12:26 pm  #124

I agree on both points: Karon is a bit annoying sometimes, always plastered inches from him. And let's say her hairdo and fashion sense are not... ekhem, very discreet (she is a bit better lately, though).
And photobombing: it is rather innocent in itself and I was amused last year, but by repeating it he just gives another excuse to the presenters to bring up stupid topics during interviews (they seem to have finally dropped otters)

January 15, 2015 5:00 pm  #125

I like him having fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera