BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2013 1:16 am  #61

Re: SiB questions and answers thread

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

I think you can save messages on sim card or phone machine.

That's correct. If she just used the same sim card all the messages would still be there.
And apart from that: was the camera phone really the phone that she used for everyday business?
I'd assume that she has a phone that she uses for calls and texts and another one where she keeps the secret information on. I don't think she ever used that camera phone for the messages she sent to Sherlock.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 25, 2013 8:55 am  #62

Lily wrote:

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

I think you can save messages on sim card or phone machine.

That's correct. If she just used the same sim card all the messages would still be there.
And apart from that: was the camera phone really the phone that she used for everyday business?
I'd assume that she has a phone that she uses for calls and texts and another one where she keeps the secret information on. I don't think she ever used that camera phone for the messages she sent to Sherlock.

True. Remember when she got out of the car, in her very first scene, she held a blackberry with which she looked at the photos of Sherlock. But her important smartphone was in the safe. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 2, 2013 7:34 pm  #63

Hey
i have a few of questions,too
1) who sent Irene the photos from sherlock right before he went to buckingham palace?
2) when sherlock arrived at the plain neilson stood in front of him and said something like he'd get an      award if he shoot him ... What does that mean?

Thanks in advance! 

---------------------------------------------------

"Nichts ist trügerischer, als eine offenkundige Tatsache"

Sherlock's not dead
Corpses don't go to heaven
And he won't leave the flat
For less than a seven 

April 2, 2013 7:39 pm  #64

1. Moriarty
2. Because Neilson knew Sherlock was in trouble for passing on the plane code to Moriarty...via Irene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 13, 2013 9:31 am  #65

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

ok, I have a question: rewatched ASiB again (stopped counting for how many times) and there´s one thing I consider a mistake: when John meets Irene at Battersea, they talk about messages Irene sent to Sherlock. Irene reads these messages from her phone, but they should had been sent from her first phone, which has been in Sherlock´s hands since Christmas... so she couldn´t read them on her new phone? or am I wrong? maybe it´s already solved somewhere here

Irene Adler's camera-phone, which has the very distinctive goldwork, is not her regular mobile she uses to see Sherlock's pictures or send him flirtatious messages.  That phone she carries with her.  The camera-phone is kept locked up, except when she is going to be with a client of such interest that she wants to photograph or record them.

If you watch carefully, you'll see her phone close-up is much different from the camera-phone.

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (April 13, 2013 9:32 am)

August 5, 2013 2:16 pm  #66

Did they actually film in Buckingham Palace or was it a set?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 5, 2013 2:19 pm  #67

It was Goldsmith's college.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 14, 2013 9:54 pm  #68

Soph wrote:

=13px2) when sherlock arrived at the plain neilson stood in front of him and said something like he'd get an      award if he shoot him ... What does that mean?
=13px 

I've always thought that he means that Sherlock has pissed off so many people that Neilson would get an award for shooting him. Many people would be happy.

August 14, 2013 10:21 pm  #69

Swanpride wrote:

I thought it's because Sherlock basically became a traitor when he revealed the meaning of the mail to Irene.

^This.  The CIA agents, while they are a**hole badguys, are really just trying to get the information back from Irene Adler so that the terrorists don't realize that the British and USA can decipher their code (which is what Mycroft's "Flight of the Dead" plan is depending on).  IE: When Sherlock deciphers it and gives it to Irene, she sends that information to Moriarty who then realizes what the British and US gov'ts have done and passes along that information to the terrorists.  Hence, when the CIA agent sees him, he says "They'd pin a medal on me if I did" because Sherlock has unwittingly helped the terrorists.

Note: I would LOVE to watch a British show that doesn't characterize Americans as gun-toting idiots, just like I would LOVE to watch an American show that doesn't character a British person as a bad guy simply because of his or her accent.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 14, 2013 10:23 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 15, 2013 5:49 am  #70

Yeah, but for CIA to be American is ok!

January 14, 2015 8:39 am  #71

Just bumping a very old thread. 

There seems to be a logical error in the Christmas scene. Sherlock gets Irene's text, walks to the mantelpiece, unwraps the phone, and instantly deduces she must be dead. And (immediately) afterwards he and Mycroft meet at the morgue where Sherlock identifies her alleged body. So she must have been "dead" when she sent the message to him. Of course she could have sent the text immediately before being murdered but then she had already sent the phone to his flat. So why does he not at once deduce that something is fishy? Am I missing something or is it just a plothole? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2015 9:11 am  #72

Didn´t he say something in the terms of "she´ll be found dead soon"?
I just think they immediately cut to the morgue because the rest of the Christmas Party doesn´t matter anymore, not because it happened immediately after Irene´s text.
I figure Sherlock thought about a situation similar to the one actually happening in Karachi - Irene is caught and allowed to send one last text, just this time from one of her other devices..

January 14, 2015 9:25 am  #73

For one thing I do not think they would have continued with the party after that. Sherlock was clearly not in the mood to celebrate. 
And another thing struck me - how did Irene know the present was on the mantelpiece? Did she put it there herself before the party? Did she just assume that this was where presents would go? Or were there cameras in the flat long before Sherlock realises in TRF? Just having a bit fun in speculating. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2015 11:25 am  #74

Well, before TRF was broadcasted, there was a video at John´s blog which proved that it´s not that hard to enter Baker Street when John and Sherlock are not at home. I guess some Irene´s friend took her chance and spied the gift-box in.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 14, 2015 12:08 pm  #75

You mean the video taken by Moriarty? I thought of that as well. It is still available on the blog (and really creepy). So if Moriarty went in there, anybody could have done this before. And Irene and Jim had a connection. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 14, 2015 12:08 pm)

January 14, 2015 2:23 pm  #76

Yes, precisely - Irene could ask even one of Moriarty´s people to do it.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 3, 2015 3:40 pm  #77

Ok, folks, I've watched this episode twice so far - and I still don't get it, well, not everything. Can anybody tell me what it is with this Flight of the Dead People?? What was the exact plan of the British/American government? Did they want to trick the terrorists by allowing them to put a bomb to the plane with only dead people? But how could the Government(s) know WHEN the terrorists would place the bomb - and in which plane?
Ok, this is my first questión, but I think there'll be some more ... This episode is one of the best (maybe THE best), but it is also a little hard to follow and to combine everything ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 3, 2015 3:43 pm  #78

kornmuhme wrote:

Ok, folks, I've watched this episode twice so far - and I still don't get it, well, not everything. Can anybody tell me what it is with this Flight of the Dead People?? What was the exact plan of the British/American government? Did they want to trick the terrorists by allowing them to put a bomb to the plane with only dead people? But how could the Government(s) know WHEN the terrorists would place the bomb - and in which plane?
Ok, this is my first questión, but I think there'll be some more ... This episode is one of the best (maybe THE best), but it is also a little hard to follow and to combine everything ...

The government had managed to get hold of the plans of the terrorists, the crypted mail. With this mail they knew exactly when and where the bomb would be placed. But removing the bomb or stopping the plane from going altogether would have alerted the terrorists to them knowing the plan. Instead they filled the plane with already dead people. Thus there would be bodies found at the crash site and the terrorists would have believed themselves to have succeeded, but no lives would have been lost.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 3, 2015 4:46 pm  #79

Vhanja wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

The government had managed to get hold of the plans of the terrorists, the crypted mail. With this mail they knew exactly when and where the bomb would be placed. But removing the bomb or stopping the plane from going altogether would have alerted the terrorists to them knowing the plan. Instead they filled the plane with already dead people. Thus there would be bodies found at the crash site and the terrorists would have believed themselves to have succeeded, but no lives would have been lost.

The mail on Irene's phone? But I thought nobody had known that she was keeping this mail on her phone, and only Sherlock could decipher it. That means to me, that neither Mycroft nor anyone else from the governments knew anything about it. Where should they have found out about the terrorist's plans?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 3, 2015 4:58 pm  #80

In my opinion Mycroft and his intelligence service were the first ones to obtain this coded message. And Irene Adler (who got intimate with some Mycroft´s employee) then managed to copy the message on her phone but could not decipher it and didn´t understood what she´s got her hands on.

That means Mycroft´s intelligence people´s knowledge about the terrorist attack predated Irene´s - Irene only obtained the information because an unfortunate "leak" occured.

Board footera