BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2014 9:40 am  #1

could Sherlock have fallen for Mary

-First word when recovering : " Mary"
-"give Mary my love"
-Killing Magnussen who blackmails Mary

Of course, all that can be seen as made in the name of friendship, for John.

But, did it cross someone else's mind that Sherlock fell for john's wife, and that's a reason why he's accepting exile?

October 1, 2014 10:09 am  #2

Re: could Sherlock have fallen for Mary

Well... nope.

You've said it yourself, the way I see it, he did all these things for John Watson. It's more than obvious to me that he said "Mary" in hospital as a warning and certainly not because he's in love with her. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 1, 2014 12:08 pm  #3

"Could Sherlock have fallen for Mary"?

Only if she tripped him.

Last edited by tonnaree (October 1, 2014 12:09 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 1, 2014 4:48 pm  #4

He says "Mary" when he wakes up in the hospital because his last memory is of Mary trying to kill him .

To be honest, I'd never even thought of him falling for Mary, and I find it really difficult to see it.  I think he initially likes her as an extension of John (and she does come across as likeable initially).   That would be a really, big unexpected suprise for S4 if it happened!  I hope not. 

October 1, 2014 5:19 pm  #5

I always understood "Mary" as a kind of "Rache-l" - a one-word-hint to find the murderer.
Not a declaration of love - the opposite

"Give Mary my love" - a common and not necessarily committal phrase. Isn't it, native speakers?
Not a declaration of love either.

Last edited by Harriet (October 1, 2014 5:43 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 12, 2015 1:17 pm  #6

I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect, but I'm laughing really hard. I'm sorry.

January 12, 2015 3:38 pm  #7

I think he don´t like her anymore after she shot him and put him through all that incredible suffering.
He puts up with her because he must.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 12, 2015 3:43 pm  #8

Ozma wrote:

Sorry? About what? The suggestion that it could be or the other opinions?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 12, 2015 4:00 pm  #9

nakahara wrote:

I think he don´t like her anymore after she shot him and put him through all that incredible suffering.

I feel the same. The scene with both of them at the tarmac never seemed sincere to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2015 4:17 pm  #10

gently69 wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Sorry? About what? The suggestion that it could be or the other opinions?

About the suggestion that he could have fallen for Mary just because he said her name when he woke up.... I mean, he came back for life to save John Watson, and yet what gets noticed is that he said Mary's name... it's absolutely insane to me.

January 12, 2015 4:18 pm  #11

Schmiezi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I feel the same. The scene with both of them at the tarmac never seemed sincere to me.

Likewise. Sherlock does NOT say things like 'that's my girl' - unless that's Moffat making his character go OOC just to try and convince us that they've forgiven Mary and are BFFs now.

January 12, 2015 4:24 pm  #12

I do not agree with the above theory either but laughing hard at other members' theories could indeed be regarded as disrespectful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 12, 2015 4:34 pm  #13

SusiGo wrote:

I do not agree with the above theory either but laughing hard at other members' theories could indeed be regarded as disrespectful. 

That was exactly why I asked, Susi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 12, 2015 4:38 pm  #14

Well, I thought it was aimed at me. One never knows ... 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 12, 2015 4:40 pm  #15

SusiGo wrote:

I know, you are right. I honestly didn't mean to be respectful. I just chuckled when I thought about the idea of Sherlock falling for Mary, I wasn't laughing at the user.

January 12, 2015 4:42 pm  #16

In such cases it might be best to have a good laugh but don't write about it?

January 12, 2015 4:45 pm  #17

Harriet wrote:

In such cases it might be best to have a good laugh but don't write about it?

Why? It's my reaction to that idea? I did say I didn't mean disrespect, and I don't. I just imagined it and chuckled, that's all. I never said I thought the OP was stupid for having posted it. I thought I could say it, but yeah, I won't next time.

January 12, 2015 5:24 pm  #18

But the question was not if he likes Mary but if he falls in love with her. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 12, 2015 5:32 pm  #19

You are right mod. I doubt that he falls in love with her because I don't see a single thing that would hint at that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2015 6:17 pm  #20

Swanpride wrote:

If Sherlock had really disliked Mary after the shooting he would have had an easy time to get rid of her. And his first words after shooting Magnussen are "Tell Mary she is safe now". Not "You and Mary are safe now". He is also smiling at her on the tarmac.

Sherlock is also an excellent liar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera