BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2015 10:17 am  #261

Re: Benedict's Engagement

ancientsgate wrote:

I don't think it's "negative" to observe that Sophie doesn't have the (20-something, blonde, stacked) appearance of a woman one might expect to see on the arm of an A-lister.

And thank heavens she doesn't! I would actually be a bit disappointed with Ben if he came up with a trophy wife.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2015 11:05 am  #262

Yes, indeed. And I really do not see him with a partner who is not least as clever as he is himself. Btw, Sophie Hunter has a lovely singing voice. I listened to a French language CD she recorded some years ago. She seems to be a woman of many talents. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2015 12:33 pm  #263

I guess some people would be better off with paper dolls or image software so they can design their favourite characters according to their likings and match them with the partners they believe suit best.
(Even better, those dolls won't be able to contradict.)

Nobody is able to meet everybody's expectations. Not even a beautiful and bright lady as Sophie.

But I'm glad that it seems at least Benedict is able to meet Sophie's expectations.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 9, 2015 12:37 pm  #264

Harriet wrote:

I guess some people would be better off with paper dolls or image software so they can design their favourite characters according to their likings and match them with the partners they believe suit best.
(Even better, those dolls won't be able to contradict.)

It's called The Sims. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2015 1:16 pm  #265

Right. Plus, the mere fact that Sophie seems to be willing to put up with all this misogynist stuff for the sake of Benedict shows what an extraordinary strong and loving character she must be.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 9, 2015 1:26 pm  #266

Well, hopefully they won't be aware of it too much. I don't think any of them spends too much time on Tumblr and Twitter (thank God!).

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2015 1:32 pm  #267

I think that still the impact on her private life must be rather big.

January 9, 2015 2:04 pm  #268

Vhanja wrote:

And thank heavens she doesn't! I would actually be a bit disappointed with Ben if he came up with a trophy wife.

Exactly! And I think Sophie is pretty and I like her.

And honestly have you seen most of the so-called attractive/sexy people without make-up ?! I think it's very comforting to see those pics.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 9, 2015 6:09 pm  #269

ancientsgate wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Dear kaye,
being a bit fangirlishly jealous is alright, but please stop with this negative stuff about Sophie. This forum is very proud on being a nice, friendly place. Please help us keeping it this way. Thank you.

Kaye was just keeping it real.      . I don't think it's "negative" to observe that Sophie doesn't have the (20-something, blonde, stacked) appearance of a woman one might expect to see on the arm of an A-lister.

What.the.what? Really? Su you're telling that it's ok to think that if you don't fit the media created standard of long legged,silicone breasted,stupid etc. bimbo, then there's no chance that some celebrity might find you attractive? Are you that vain? I'm sorry,but my opinion of you went clattering downstairs. Whatever.

Thank god that Sophie is simple looking and real down to earth woman.If Benedict had showed up with  one of those forementioned bimbos,I would've been extremely dissapointed in him.

January 9, 2015 6:51 pm  #270

While I have sympathy for your opinion, Edgeucated, to me both posts have a sexist element.
Both reduce women to their appearance in the eyes of someone else. Only the ideals and standards differ.

January 9, 2015 7:59 pm  #271

I'm happy for Benedict and Sophie. They are engaged and having a baby. I think its lovely. I also think some people need to calm down, there is no point being jealous or nasty because none of us will ever meet/ have a chance with him so let's just enjoy his work and relax.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

January 9, 2015 8:40 pm  #272

Harriet wrote:

While I have sympathy for your opinion, Edgeucated, to me both posts have a sexist element.
Both reduce women to their appearance in the eyes of someone else. Only the ideals and standards differ.

Thank you very much, Harriet. Even a woman some people might consider to be a 'bimbo' might have far more to offer than her blond hair and breasts and whatever else seems to make a 'bimbo' a 'bimbo'. God forbid that a 20-year-old, blond, beautiful (by whose standards whatsoever) woman might be clever, smart, educated, funny...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 10, 2015 12:09 am  #273

Edgeucated wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

....... I don't think it's "negative" to observe that Sophie doesn't have the (20-something, blonde, stacked) appearance of a woman one might expect to see on the arm of an A-lister.

What.the.what? Really? Su you're telling that it's ok to think that if you don't fit the media created standard of long legged,silicone breasted,stupid etc. bimbo, then there's no chance that some celebrity might find you attractive? Are you that vain? I'm sorry,but my opinion of you went clattering downstairs. Whatever..

I have no idea what my observation that most male A-listers pick supermodels to hook up with would have to do with my own vanity. ??? Except I will say that, yes, I believe no celebrity would find me attractive. *bends over at the waist, guffawing at the very thought*  Hardly. OMG.

Of course, I agree with you, we would expect nothing less from Ben than to pick a quality woman who will suit him, not the first pretty face attached to someone barely old enough to vote. *smile*  Quality picks quality, at least, almost always. I do think Ben was waiting for someone just like Sophie to come along, so he could finally have the children he's said he wanted for years now. I know next to nothing about her, but just judging by her looks, her age, her career, etc, she seems custom made for him.

January 10, 2015 9:22 am  #274

Good that she also has a word in it, being custom made and all that. At least she accepted him.

January 10, 2015 9:33 am  #275

Harriet wrote:

Good that she also has a word in it, being custom made and all that. At least she accepted him.

And he hopefully was (is?) custom made for her! I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

January 10, 2015 8:30 pm  #276

Ben on his fiancee:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 10, 2015 8:31 pm  #277

Love that shy little smile at the end. Gorgeous man!

Team Hudders!

January 10, 2015 8:35 pm  #278

Aw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2015 10:50 pm  #279

That's love, that is! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 11, 2015 7:32 am  #280

Aaaaaww..

Board footera