BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2014 4:02 pm  #181

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

I wondred if he'd claim self defence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 26, 2014 6:15 pm  #182

My thoughts:

The death of Malvo was a surprise, certainly the way he died and who killed him. I honestly expected him to survive. To me the use of the bear trap is very symbolic. To all intents and purposes Malvo is animalistic in his instincts and behaviours. He is a predator. The shooting of him is, to me,  also symbolic. You expect him to find someway out of it  and for his ultimate killer to be another of his victims.

The build up to the murder of the FBI agents was wonderfully constructed, one could feel the build up of the inevitable, the pressure. This incident worked well as both agents characters had been developed and also emphasised Lester's self-obsession.

That the good guys won out in the end is an affirmation of good vs bad. There was still a lot of tension around the characters involved and I did quite a bit of hiding behind my hands.

Lester is a vile character really, not  as obviously wicked as Malvo (is Malvo wicked?) but calculating and psychopathic. He disposes of people without any conscience. He lies and lies and uses people. He is both arrogant and conceited. He thinks he is clever, he is not. Again, I thought his death was symbolic. He had been skating on thin ice for ages and it is most apt that he finally falls through it.

I loved this series. I keenly await the next one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 26, 2014 7:12 pm  #183

Tho I'll miss the leads.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 27, 2014 4:22 pm  #184

I will too especially Malvo/Bill Bob. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 11, 2014 8:38 pm  #185

I've just finished watching episode 7 (the one that ends with the truly AWKWARD sex scene between Martin and Kate Walsh. You can almost feel the hate o.O).

I LOVE! Bad ass Martin Freeman! And yet somehow, even though he's a dark killer by now, I love how he makes Lester so adorable!

Also, I can't believe how good his accent is. I found out that they didn't want to hear his accent at an audition, they just offered him the part and his accent is so cute. I love the way he says Aw, heck!

I want to know more bout Malvo though! How the hell did he get out of the basement? Where is he from! How did he learn his skills! I think that would be intriguing to explore!

Last edited by ComeAtOnceIfConvenient (August 12, 2014 8:18 am)

September 14, 2014 2:48 pm  #186

September 19, 2014 6:26 pm  #187

There's a long video about the making of Fargo on the Telegraph website, including quite a bit from and about Martin: Fargo: behind the scenes with Martin Freeman.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 2, 2014 6:05 am  #188

Well, I finally finished Fargo. I loved the movie and was eager to jump back into the universe, especially being such a fan of Billy Bob Thornton and of Martin. Thing was, I knew that it would be incredibly violent and I have enough exposure to that at work, so I kept putting it off. After a case dry spell, I finally put on the series and the first episode made me glad I waited until I did... until I had a case come in that gave me proof positive that the makeup in Fargo is veeeery realistic...

At any rate, I correctly suspected that the first episode would be the worst and soldiered on. I'm so glad I did. I loved all the twists and turns of the story, that there were characters I could genuinely care about, and all that dark humour the Cohens do so well. Malvo in full minister mode at the station had me in stitches for hours.

Lester is the kind of criminal that scares the bejeezus out of me, a psychopath who has waited his whole life, not even knowing it, for that one chance to let his monstrous side out. I found him more terrifying than Malvo because it's established from the getgo just what Malvo is willing to do. There were no surprises with him. Lester grew in his malevolence until there was no redemption possible (Linda...). Unfortunately, I found the end of his arc unsatisfying seeing as it's unclear how the heck he wound up in Montana and what he's doing there and how he's been tracked and whatnot. I was really disappointed with the ending, although I'm glad he got his comeuppence in the end!

I did find Lester (well, Martin)'s accent distracting. It did not work for me at all and I consider it a complete fail. He sounds more Irish to me in parts than stereotypical Minnesotan.

I loved Molly, Greta, Gus, and Lou and am so glad that they all survived! I was convinced that Gus was being an idiot at the end and was going to get killed. I did not see that twist coming at all even though I caught several others.

I find it hilarious that the series tries to pass off Calgary and the environs for Bemidji. I'm very familiar with Calgary and I go through Fargo and Bemidji about once a year or so. They filmed in Calgary for monetary incentives, but it actually worked in their favour as it afforded them a setting that looks like what most people who haven't been through northern Minnesota in winter think it must look like.

Graphically violent as the series was, I found it well worth my time and I would definitely watch the second season, which I think is going to be about the 1979 incident in Sioux Falls.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 12, 2014 8:13 pm  #189

Martin got a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a mini-series for Fargo (RadioTimes, full list.)

Last edited by REReader (December 12, 2014 8:13 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 22, 2014 5:54 pm  #190

I haven't read this thread since I just started watching Fargo now. Just seen the first episode. And, wow, I'm - again - impressed with Martin Freeman. Naive as I was, I figured that since I'd seen him in roles like Bilbo and Tim from the Office (and Arthur Dent) and also a more nuanced and serious role as John Watson, I figured I had seen his range.

Which is why I my mind was slightly blown when I saw this. I've never seen in do anything like THIS. Got a whole new respect for the man. I didn't see a trace of Bilbo or John in that performance. Crossing everything I got that he wins that Golden Globe!

It was literally painful to see when his wife abused him and acted so horrible. How can you say something like that to your own husband? 

I love the accent! Lot of Norwegian immigrants in Minnesota, so that has influenced the accent. Cool for me to hear slightly Norwegian-ish words!

Last edited by Vhanja (December 22, 2014 5:58 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 3, 2015 9:15 pm  #191

There, seen the entire series and read the thread. Hubby and I watched the three last episodes today, we both loved it! Sure, some weak plot holes here and there, some stuff felt a bit too convenienct, but apart from that - what an awesome series!

Martin and BB impressed me to pieces. It was amazing to see Martin play such a horrible character. But because it is Martin, I couldn't help root for him a little bit anyhow. I found his accent amazing. Have no idea how the Minnesota accent sounds like, but I couldn't hear any of his regular English accent at all. I could hardly even here Martin, it sounded like had changed his pitch even (I also loved his "Ow, heck!" - so cute!).

BBT was insanely creepy, horribly creepy.The look he gave Lester in the elevator made me cold to the bone. Very, VERY well done! What a random, surreal and horrible series - loved it!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 3, 2015 9:30 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2015 11:00 am  #192

Vhanja wrote:

BBT was insanely creepy, horribly creepy.The look he gave Lester in the elevator made me cold to the bone. Very, VERY well done! What a random, surreal and horrible series - loved it!

Oh yes. And Malvo's last smile before he dies - still give me creeps.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

January 4, 2015 8:49 pm  #193

MartaSt wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Oh yes. And Malvo's last smile before he dies - still give me creeps.

Said 'predator' all over it, didn't it?       So help me, I loved it.  The whole show and all the character's stories intwined was amazing, but the only ones who amused me or fascinated more than our two main boys, were the criminal "brother" like duo.  Weren't they hilarious?     And definitely that great 'Coen' vibe.

You should watch "No Country For Old Men", if you haven't.  After raving about Fargo, showing it to a friend, and enjoying long talks about the acting, production, natures of the characters, and twistedness, he said we had to see it.  Been on my list for the longest time after realizing I somehow missed it, having heard so much about, what with the people in it, story, and perfect bleak mix of Coen filming and McCarthy novel.  Very good.  Javier Bardem's character creeps you out just as much as Malvo and he doesn't even have the 'charm' aspect going for him.  It may just be the genre/type of story (and same filmmakers behind each), but there were so many direct similarities to Fargo.  It's kind of amusing then, and no wonder, that for season two, they've been talking about it going back to a rural Minnesotan story in the 70's, with an escalating Mob/local gang war that's more 'savage', an 'epic' scope to the storytelling, and almost a Western-like quality, hence some of the writers calling it "No Country For Old Fargo".     Can't wait.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 4, 2015 8:53 pm  #194

I just saw the movie Fargo today - I am amazed at how well the series captured the feel and atmosphere of the movie. Some great similarites in the plot and characters too.

Team Hudders!

January 5, 2015 7:18 pm  #195

Vhanja wrote:

I just saw the movie Fargo today - I am amazed at how well the series captured the feel and atmosphere of the movie. Some great similarites in the plot and characters too.

I know, I loved it.  Like the similarities with the law enforcement folk, and the red ice pick! 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 5, 2015 7:19 pm  #196

Russell wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I know, I loved it. Like the similarities with the law enforcement folk, and the red ice pick!

The red ice pick isn't just a similarity, that IS the same money.

Yeah, law enforcment, the pregnant BAMF woman, Jerry/Lester, the stupid couple of criminals, the selfish plot that got out of hand... 

Team Hudders!

Board footera