BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2012 5:35 am  #1

The Science of Deduction.. and, erm, Induction!

.. so far had an interesting week, including a friendly debate with a philosopher (gotta love the range of people I meet at work) regarding an issue that bugged me for a while.

Basically, the point is:

"Deduction: an argument whose premisses are claimed to provide conclusive evidence for the truth of its conclusion."

"Induction: arguments that establish the truth of the conclusion as probable or probably true. So, informally at least, an inductive argument claims its conclusion follows with some degree of probability. "

.. and a visual comparison at http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/dedind.php

In other words, most of the work we see Sherlock perform is inductive in nature, though some deduction might be thrown in at times/back up certain aspects.

I reckon, the 'Science of Deduction' sounds heaps cooler though!

*shuffles back to the lab*

July 19, 2012 8:13 pm  #2

Re: The Science of Deduction.. and, erm, Induction!

Oh my God, it's weird that you should post this because I'm a member of the Sherlock Holmes Society of London and they have a magazine called the Sherlock Holmes Journal. Basically, there was an article in it this month which said exactly the same thing - that the Holmes method of "deduction" is actually induction.

When I get chance I'll type it out for you cause I don't think they publish the articles online.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 20, 2012 12:56 pm  #3

awesome - eager to read that here Down Under, thanks!

*all of a sudden doesn't feel so far away from London!*

July 21, 2012 7:16 pm  #4

Damnit. Can't find the article anywhere now, typical.

Anyway, there are quite a few things online about this:

http://www.emotionalcompetency.com/sci/sm4.htm - very detailed scientific analysis comparing the two fields.

http://traderpsychology.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/inductive-vs-deductive-reasoning.html - short essay

http://www.ssr.org/Induction.shtml  - detailed study

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 22, 2012 12:36 pm  #5

I thought 'induction' was a type of oven. Truly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 22, 2012 1:06 pm  #6

It's a hob hepzibah 

July 22, 2012 1:24 pm  #7

Does it have nobs? Is it called Bob?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 22, 2012 2:18 pm  #8

Do you have Hobnobs in your country?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 22, 2012 2:29 pm  #9

had to google to check what they looked like! We have something similar, not sure what they are called. Do you have Timtams? To die for!

http://www.arnotts.com/our-products/products/arnotts-tim-tam.aspx

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 22, 2012 3:06 pm  #10

No we don't have Timtams.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 7, 2013 11:17 pm  #11

January 19, 2013 6:34 pm  #12

I thought this was common knowledge, I mean, I learned that in Highschool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

Board footera