BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2014 4:02 pm  #41

Re: Martin's press appearances generally

Very funny - thanks!

December 21, 2014 4:50 pm  #42

For some reason I really like Andy. 

December 21, 2014 5:06 pm  #43

Andy Serkis is awesome, and the two of them giggling together is just too cute.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 21, 2014 5:28 pm  #44

Vhanja wrote:

I LOVE watching his interviews because of his sassy comments. The guy is hilarious! Benedict puts on this politically correct and diplomatic face when he talk in interviews - Martin does NOT.

Just a question - do you think Benedict adopts a public attitude that does not reflect his true opinions for the sake of appearing politically correct? To me it seems that he is politically aware and therefore mentions these things in interviews and I always feel he is being honest in this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 21, 2014 5:39 pm  #45

Benedict says different things at various occasions.
But yes, he's generally very clued up and honest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 21, 2014 7:11 pm  #46

Well, he's a good actor so how could we possibly know? 

December 21, 2014 7:28 pm  #47

Sorry, but I really do not understand the direction this whole discussion has been taking. For me it is very simple: 
We have two actors. They are colleagues who are working very well together but no close friends. They are very different in character and behaviour.
Why does this have to turn into a "he is better/more honest" discussion? 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 21, 2014 7:29 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 21, 2014 7:32 pm  #48

I share your puzzlement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 21, 2014 7:37 pm  #49

Thank you, besley. 

December 21, 2014 7:45 pm  #50

You started it Susi. We were just answering your question. 

December 21, 2014 7:50 pm  #51

silverblaze wrote:

You started it Susi. We were just answering your question. 

Well, no. See here:

SusiGo wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I LOVE watching his interviews because of his sassy comments. The guy is hilarious! Benedict puts on this politically correct and diplomatic face when he talk in interviews - Martin does NOT.

Just a question - do you think Benedict adopts a public attitude that does not reflect his true opinions for the sake of appearing politically correct? To me it seems that he is politically aware and therefore mentions these things in interviews and I always feel he is being honest in this. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 21, 2014 7:54 pm  #52

Really, no.
Just the opposite:

SusiGo wrote:

....And as you say, it is very unfair to compare two actors/men who are so different in every way, .... 

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 21, 2014 7:54 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 21, 2014 7:54 pm  #53

Yes, that's Susi starting it. Vhanja was talking about his facial expression, not his attitude. Susi started the discussion about the attitude. 

Honestly, this isn't really worth pursuing is it? I just thought I smelled some irony. 

Last edited by silverblaze (December 21, 2014 7:56 pm)

December 21, 2014 7:57 pm  #54

Well, I was not sure how Vhanja meant it and was glad that Susi asked to clarify.

But if nobody wanted to start that discussion it will surely die soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 21, 2014 7:57 pm  #55

I was in no way implying that one is "better" than the other. I don't think Benedicts lies in interviews. I think the two of them handle awkward questions in different way - Benedict by answering very diplomatically, Martin with being sassy or sarcastic. They are just different persons. I love listening to Benedict and the way he replies to questions, but I equally love to listen to Martin for the same. 

Last edited by Vhanja (December 21, 2014 7:59 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 21, 2014 7:59 pm  #56

So, to get back to topic:
I loved the interview about the Hobbit in which Martin talked about the end of the film. The interviewer said simething like "No spoiler please". And Martin went on talking about how old that book is and that you can barely call it a spoiler nowadays, at least not if you read books.

December 21, 2014 8:04 pm  #57

I agree with him.

December 23, 2014 9:55 am  #58

Here's a video of a Hobbit interview. I'm posting it because - look! He's wearing a cuddly Dr. Watson-jumper! 

(Also, it sounds like he got a bit of a cold).

Last edited by Vhanja (December 23, 2014 10:02 am)

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2015 4:02 pm  #59

I found this radio interview and thought I'd share it. Here he turns down the sass a few notches (which seem to be tied with how annoyed he is with the interview, I think) and portrays a very thoughtful and grounded side that I loved.

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2015 4:11 pm  #60

I love his interviews.

Board footera