BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2012 5:49 pm  #81

Re: Find the original & post other nods to the canon (merged topic)

I had to interrupt my posting to this thread so I could get through the canon without jumping up and runnign to the computer every few minutes. Of course, now I've forgotten most of the things I noticed while I was reading since I last posted. But here's one:

In the canon, Watson frequently leaves his medical practice in the hands of another doctor while he goes off to help Holmes on a case. In The Blind Banker, John falls asleep at his job in the clinic because he was up late helping Sherlock, and Sarah steps in to take care of some of John's patients.

July 11, 2012 7:28 pm  #82

Just from ch 1 Study in Scarlet > Study in Pink unless otherwise stated
John: the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers, (Scandal in Belgravia Palace scene Harry shaking hands with John)

Afghan war,

opening shots and mentioned at end of study in Pink >  John: struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet,

medical board determined that not a day should be lost in sending me back to England.

turning round I recognized young Stamford, who had been a dresser under me at Bart's. The sight of a friendly face in the great wilderness of London is a pleasant thing indeed to a lonely man
- - - -
Criterion Bar, > becomes Criterion takeaway cup

John: “Looking for lodgings,  I answered. “Trying to solve the problem as to whether it is possible to get comfortable rooms at a reasonable price.
“That's a strange thing,  remarked my companion; “you are the second man to-day that has used that expression to me.
“And who was the first?  I asked.
“A fellow who is working at the chemical laboratory up at the hospital. He was bemoaning himself this morning because he could not get someone to go halves with him in some nice rooms which he had found   > in series Lab scene. ...line
“Holmes is a little too scientific for my tastes—it approaches to cold-bloodedness. I could imagine his giving a friend a little pinch of the latest vegetable alkaloid, not out of malevolence, you understand, but simply out of a spirit of inquiry in order to have an accurate idea of the effects.
> Becomes Sherlock giving John potentially drug laden sugar in beverage in series Hounds of Baskerville

series Morgue scene
beating the subjects in the dissecting-rooms with a stick, it is certainly taking rather a bizarre shape.

“Beating the subjects!
“Yes, to verify how far bruises may be produced after death.

Series Lab scene
“You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.
“How on earth did you know that?  I asked in astonishment.

“I get in the dumps at times, and don't open my mouth for days on end 
It's just as well for two fellows to know the worst of one another before they begin to live together. 

Stamford: My companion smiled an enigmatical smile. “That's just his little peculiarity,  he said. Becomes > “yeah he does that all the time 

Sherlock - he  put his hand over his heart and bowed > Becomes Sherlock bowing after playing violin in xmas party scene in series episode Scandal in Belgravia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 16, 2012 9:11 am  #83

Sorry for being rather silly, but I just realised that my cam was CANON, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 16, 2012 9:40 am  #84

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 18, 2012 11:12 pm  #85

rob k wrote:

Quote:  Lestrade's first name is never given in the canon. UnQuote.

My reply:

Quite true!  And yet we know that his first name is, in fact "Joseph."

Anybody know how it is that we know this?

rob k

Surprised no one has risen to the bait.   Who is Joseph Lestrade?

July 22, 2012 3:30 am  #86

In the stories, when Sherlock does not deal with Lestrade, he quite often deals with detective Gregson. I wonder if Moftiss have combined the two detectives into Greg Lestrade.

Added- Sorry! - I read the whole thread and of course it has been pointed out already
Finding bits and pieces of the originals scattered and reshuffled throughout the TV series is one of the great joys of that show.

Last edited by deerstalker (July 22, 2012 3:36 am)

July 22, 2012 3:56 am  #87

It is deerstalker, that's why we keep telling people "you have to read the canon". They miss out so much otherwise and cannot appreciate the beauty of the beast.
I'm not a huge fan of 'must read books to make my life complete" but the canon has a special aura about it that not even the BBC adaptation can replicate.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 22, 2012 4:43 am  #88

A lot of the beauty and fascinations comes from seeing how the canon is incorporated into this BBC interpretation - mesmerising for a long term fan like me!

July 28, 2012 8:54 am  #89

I love how they adapted Watson's stories he publishes in the paper to an online blog. That was brilliant in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 28, 2012 10:48 am  #90

Definitely and Joe Lidster does a brilliant job with the blogs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 28, 2012 11:39 pm  #91

I realised how crucial the blog is when we see him typing into a word document in the unaired pilot - not nearly as good as the later online blog!

July 29, 2012 9:44 am  #92

I might be overreading this but it may be part of the casting but Benedict Cumberbatch is exactly 6' tall. This is the height Sherlock Holmes claims to be, though Watson claims he's taller. There's a reference at the beginning of A Scandal in Belgravia when the liaison for the client claims Sherlock Holmes looked taller in his photographs. Also the setup of the interview is reminiscent of Adventure of The Illustrious Client, as I believe Mycroft even remarks the client is most illustrious.

Last edited by Lupin (July 29, 2012 9:46 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 29, 2012 10:11 am  #93

I only now took notice that Sherlock says 'hello' to Billy when they arrive at Angelo's for dinner..

July 29, 2012 8:43 pm  #94

The Doctor wrote:

I only now took notice that Sherlock says 'hello' to Billy when they arrive at Angelo's for dinner..

Omg! How clever.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 30, 2012 7:20 pm  #95

Yeah, good one. I notice the "hello," but didn't make the connection.

July 30, 2012 9:13 pm  #96

veecee wrote:

I think I'm missing something here...not sure I understand the reference. Help? 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

July 30, 2012 9:27 pm  #97

"Dear me, Mr Holmes, dear me" from "The Reichenback Fall" and sent via text to Mycroft is taken directly from "The Valley of Fear", but directed to SH himself from Moriarty. Gave me goose pimples to see it in SHERLOCK BBC. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

July 30, 2012 9:28 pm  #98

Okay, not sure I have the hang of the canon thing yet so I don't know if this will count, but here goes...

Early in chapter 2 of "A Study in Scarlet", Watson writes ...be it remembered how objectless was my life and how little there was to engage my attention. ...and I had no friends who would call upon me and break the monotony of my daily existence.

In "The Reichenbach Fall", at the grave yard, John says, I was so alone.

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

July 31, 2012 3:06 am  #99

ImaSherlockGirl wrote:

veecee wrote:

I think I'm missing something here...not sure I understand the reference. Help? 

Billy is Sherlock's "page." Who knew they still used that term in ACD's time? Anyway, he helps Sherlock after Watson has moved on and doesn't see Sherlock so much any more. At least, that's how I remember it.

July 31, 2012 3:20 am  #100

ImaSherlockGirl wrote:

Okay, not sure I have the hang of the canon thing yet so I don't know if this will count, but here goes...

Early in chapter 2 of "A Study in Scarlet", Watson writes ...be it remembered how objectless was my life and how little there was to engage my attention. ...and I had no friends who would call upon me and break the monotony of my daily existence.

In "The Reichenbach Fall", at the grave yard, John says, I was so alone.

Yes, you have 'the hang of the canon thing".

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera