BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2014 8:44 am  #281

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

I do tend to wonder if they deliberately introduced baby to wind us all up...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 28, 2014 9:11 am  #282

besleybean wrote:

I do tend to wonder if they deliberately introduced baby to wind us all up...

I am sure they did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 28, 2014 11:41 am  #283

Schmiezi wrote:

Now that is true. To me, it comes down to the question, "Do you believe that Moftiss have a very clever plan, or did they maneuver themselves into a corner?" I'd like to believe that they have a very very clever plan.

I am convinced they have a very clear plan. They are far too professional and experienced to write themselves in a corner like that.

And didn't Mark Gatiss say that he and Steven had a creative strike and wrote down the outline of series 4 and 5?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 29, 2014 2:12 pm  #284

Yes, I believe that is what they said.  They have roughed out two seasons.

- Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 30, 2014 10:16 pm  #285

Yes, I agree, a lame idea can be plotted out brilliantly. On the other hand there are movies with tons of great actors and it doesn't work at all or is frankly boring. Buuuut you can fall in love with one series and it's changed in a way that you just can't follow, which leaves you back as a heart broken fan...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 30, 2014 10:40 pm  #286

And even if an episode or even three episodes are executed brilliantly, it is still possible that they are telling a story or stories which don't work for everyone. In the end all we can do is wait and see what they'll come up with.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 30, 2014 11:10 pm  #287

Main character a disturbed, grieving and angry anti-social little girl, parented by sister, being investigated by social services, befriends a killing machine - loved it .  "It's little and broken, but still good". 

December 30, 2014 11:13 pm  #288

Well, but those things weren´t based on the series of short stories and were not supposed to at least slightly resemble the original canon. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 31, 2014 10:38 am  #289

The cases are one main factor, true, but definitely not what makes this show unique. So for me as a fan there must be more. All critics agree that brain, heart, kidney and liver of this show is the chemistry of Martin and Benedict on screen. And that is very much stretched in S 3 and will be even more with a toddler around. The cases alone do not distinguish this adaptation from others.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 31, 2014 11:23 am  #290

mrshouse wrote:

The cases are one main factor, true, but definitely not what makes this show unique. So for me as a fan there must be more. All critics agree that brain, heart, kidney and liver of this show is the chemistry of Martin and Benedict on screen. And that is very much stretched in S 3 and will be even more with a toddler around. The cases alone do not distinguish this adaptation from others.

I agree with this. I can not fathom how to solve this with a baby around. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2015 5:14 am  #291

Was thinking about how they started S3 with "two years later" and was wondering if it would be possible to pick up S4 after the baby has been born and the characters are a bit more used to her presence. Mary shows up with her (if they keep the baby they sort of have to keep Mary because John can't be a single parent while running around with Sherlock), they say she's cute, and then they move on. I don't want to spend a ton of time at a maternity ward in S4.

Or maybe they'll pick up the next season in 2024, as they're shipping their only child off to boarding school.

May 11, 2015 11:49 am  #292

Still can't wrap my head around a baby in Sherlock. And while I don't agree with everything said ( I wish she had left out Johnlock, I prefer those things to be separated) it provides some interesting thoughts:
http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/80839602370/why-we-may-never-meet-baby-watson

May 11, 2015 12:21 pm  #293

I don't see there being a time jump unless it starts with John back in 221B and then goes back in time to show how he got there without Mary or the baby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 11, 2015 12:51 pm  #294

AA seems pretty certain she will be in S04 so even with a time jump of just a few weeks...we get the baby?
Though I did think the - it's not a gang show it's the Sherlock and John show - quote from the con was a hint we wouldn't get a foursome.
I am thinking Mary@baby will have to go .. but in a not dead way.

Last edited by lil (May 11, 2015 12:52 pm)

May 11, 2015 1:59 pm  #295

I hope not.  I like Mary.  Even though of course the show is mostly about Sherlock and John, I don't think they can get rid of Mary with how much she has been present in series 3.

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 2:19 pm  #296

I like Mary too!  Not a majority opinion around here, though. 

I think she will be around for at least a bit more, but it isn't inconceiveable that the writers might decide to go along with the ACD books some point in time and have her exit (stage left).  I don't think it will be any time too soon though. 

I'll be sad to see her go, when and if it happens.  I think (despite the shooting) Mary and Sherlock are very much the same in many respects and relate well to each other.  And I think Mary and John are great together!

The Baby... not so sure about how it would fit in.  Much less (way much less) enthusiastic about Baby Watson in the mix.  For me, personally, I would hope the writers decide it not to be a part of the story - or if it was, then make it extremely short term and mainly mentioned in passing and not too much more.

But I have lots and lots of faith in the writers/creators that they won't make it a "family/all about the baby" show - I like things in the adult range when it comes to the characters.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 11, 2015 2:22 pm  #297

Think about the topic - the baby!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 11, 2015 2:23 pm  #298

lil wrote:

AA seems pretty certain she will be in S04 so even with a time jump of just a few weeks...we get the baby?
Though I did think the - it's not a gang show it's the Sherlock and John show - quote from the con was a hint we wouldn't get a foursome.
I am thinking Mary@baby will have to go .. but in a not dead way.

Of course AA will be in S4.  Even if the character of Mary dies they still have to show us how she gets there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 11, 2015 2:33 pm  #299

Ah-chie wrote:

The Baby... not so sure about how it would fit in.  Much less (way much less) enthusiastic about Baby Watson in the mix.  For me, personally, I would hope the writers decide it not to be a part of the story - or if it was, then make it extremely short term and mainly mentioned in passing and not too much more.

But I have lots and lots of faith in the writers/creators that they won't make it a "family/all about the baby" show - I like things in the adult range when it comes to the characters.

-Val

Yeah, I doubt we will see much of the baby except to establish that the baby has been born and is part of John's life.  But if they made the baby any more important than that, it would change the show and I don't think they want to change the tone of the show. 
I do wonder if it will mean that there will be more conflict between John going on cases and staying home to take care of the baby, same with Mary.  Mary's smart, though, and I wonder whether she'll find a way to be involved without necessarily having to leave the baby.  Or John for that matter.  Or maybe we'll get a scene where John gets mad at Sherlock for taking him away from his family so much.  But I think Sherlock would reply saying that John likes the excitement and wouldn't be happy just staying home all the time.  Unless of course the writers think that's too similar to the conversation about Mary in HLV.

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 2:41 pm  #300

Yitzock wrote:

Ah-chie wrote:

-Val

Yeah, I doubt we will see much of the baby except to establish that the baby has been born and is part of John's life.  But if they made the baby any more important than that, it would change the show and I don't think they want to change the tone of the show. 
I do wonder if it will mean that there will be more conflict between John going on cases and staying home to take care of the baby, same with Mary.  Mary's smart, though, and I wonder whether she'll find a way to be involved without necessarily having to leave the baby.  Or John for that matter.  Or maybe we'll get a scene where John gets mad at Sherlock for taking him away from his family so much.  But I think Sherlock would reply saying that John likes the excitement and wouldn't be happy just staying home all the time.  Unless of course the writers think that's too similar to the conversation about Mary in HLV.

I think with Mary they did already go very much for a change of tone and every fan has to decide for himself if he likes it or not. But that is OT and should rather be for the Mary-threads. If the baby is born but that's about it, hm, it doesn't make to much sense to set it up first place.

Board footera