BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2014 6:24 pm  #1

Vulture Magazine

Vulture has published more bits from their Benedict interview.

(BTW, I think Benedict is dead wrong about Sherlock being a sociopath--what he is is self-centered and willfully oblivious...most of the time.)

I don't see the original interview referenced in the new piece listed here; you can find it here.

Last edited by REReader (December 29, 2014 6:24 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 29, 2014 7:02 pm  #2

Re: Vulture Magazine

I agree, he isn't a sociopath. If he were, he wouldn't care for John, Mrs Hudson and Lestrade. And Molly. (Well, to be more precise, sosiopath isn't a term used anymore at all).

Another confirmation that Sherlock isn't gay as well. 

Last edited by Vhanja (December 29, 2014 7:11 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 29, 2014 7:17 pm  #3

I think he just uses "sociopath" colloquially.   A bit like John uses "psychopath".   He doesn't seem to play him as one. 

He doesn't definitely confirm that he's not gay there, but I do think Benedict seems to play Sherlock as attracted to women (or one woman, once).  It's interesting that he thinks he's been burned in the past.

I like his ideas about the crossover between actors and barristers! 

December 29, 2014 8:51 pm  #4

Nice interview! 

Still, I´m always surprised by the difference between what I actually see on screen in Sherlock and Benedict´s description of it.

Sherlock on screen is surrounded by sweet, attractive, witty and intelligent women like Janine or Molly (who is also loyal and dependable and would accept him with all his personal flaws and would never stand in the way of his work), yet he treats them like dirt in worst cases or like beings from another planet in the best cases. And he is suppossed to be a heterosexual man... weird.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 29, 2014 8:58 pm  #5

Well, being heterosexual doesn't mean you are automatically interested in the other sex just because they are kind and pretty. Especially not when you have made a conscious decision not to include romance and sex in your life.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 29, 2014 9:00 pm  #6

Yes, that´s true, but I´m still puzzled by a complete lack of "interest" from his side.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 29, 2014 9:05 pm  #7

nakahara wrote:

Yes, that´s true, but I´m still puzzled by a complete lack of "interest" from his side.

That's part of his character. Acting a-sexual, deliberately staying away from it.

Team Hudders!

December 29, 2014 9:09 pm  #8

He could at least loook into women´s cleavage from time-to-time as to hint us that he´s supposed to be into women, altrough self-repressed. 

December 29, 2014 9:19 pm  #9

According to Benedict, Sherlock did a lot more with Irene than look at her cleavage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 29, 2014 9:23 pm  #10

besleybean wrote:

According to Benedict, Sherlock did a lot more with Irene than look at her cleavage.

He looked at a lot more than her cleavage, if it comes to that...

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 29, 2014 9:26 pm  #11

Chortle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 29, 2014 9:36 pm  #12

REReader wrote:

besleybean wrote:

He looked at a lot more than her cleavage, if it comes to that...

Hmm, a cleavage was probably a bad example. 

What I meant is - if I watch for example "Elementary" with Jonny Lee Miller, his Sherlock is a weird loner and socially inept man too, yet I don´t doubt for a second that his Sherlock is as straight as an arrow.

I don´t feel the same vibes from Benedict´s Sherlock.

Benedict is a brilliant actor, so... how is it possible that his colleague Jonny can so unambiguosly convey this in his acting for all to see and Benedict can´t?

December 29, 2014 9:38 pm  #13

Because it's not important to BBC Sherlock...
Elermentary Sherlock does relationships, BBC Sherlock doesn't.

Last edited by besleybean (December 29, 2014 9:38 pm)

December 29, 2014 9:40 pm  #14

Elementary Sherlock didn´t do any relationships in an episodes I have seen and yet I never doubted his orientation...

But I digress.

Board footera