BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2012 7:07 pm  #21

Re: Third Star

Jepp - the problem is: He is so often at home! LOL

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 1, 2012 7:23 pm  #22

Poor things, if they knew what we are discussing in here …

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 7:33 pm  #23

He knows!  .............well, not in detail   

July 1, 2012 7:35 pm  #24

Same goes for mine. Well, there's nothing wrong with little secrets  .

Last edited by SusiGo (July 2, 2012 6:53 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2012 7:38 pm  #25

And soon we'll have to open a new thread: What does your boyfriend/husband know and how does he manage all this? 

July 2, 2012 2:55 am  #26

Um-m-m, I have the subtitles as a separate file, though I watched the film without them, as they always distract me from what is going on the screen. But don't know whether they will go with your film or not.
I had an experience of watching similar films and being not understood by my friend, so now I watch such films only while being alone and I feel free to roar with laughter or burst into tears whenever I want)).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

July 2, 2012 6:56 am  #27

221B, thanks for the offer but I watched "Third Star" on Youtube, not on DVD *clear throat'. I usually buy films but I couldn't wait and wanted to have a look and then I couldn't stop. You know what it's like. But I understood quite a lot of things and if I understood everything I'd probably cry even more  .

July 2, 2012 7:28 am  #28

He knows...but very little. He does like the series though but cannot remember Benedict's surname!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2012 8:15 am  #29

221B Baker Street wrote:

Um-m-m, I have the subtitles as a separate file, though I watched the film without them, as they always distract me from what is going on the screen. But don't know whether they will go with your film or not.
I had an experience of watching similar films and being not understood by my friend, so now I watch such films only while being alone and I feel free to roar with laughter or burst into tears whenever I want)).

Hm... I have the DVD so the file could be quiet interesting....
Have no idea HOW it could work, though. Maybe hubby can help.   

July 2, 2012 8:27 am  #30

I hope Matt(hias) won't be disappointed if you just need him to fix your technical problems so you can fully enjoy BC  .

July 2, 2012 11:21 pm  #31

SusiGo wrote:

I usually buy films but I couldn't wait and wanted to have a look and then I couldn't stop. You know what it's like. But I understood quite a lot of things and if I understood everything I'd probably cry even more  .

I know what it's like . I'm just the same: I'll only have a look... one little look....oh, that's interesting.... and what's further....Don't bother me, I'm busy watching the film!  

Mattlocked wrote:

Hm... I have the DVD so the file could be quiet interesting....
Have no idea HOW it could work, though. Maybe hubby can help.   

Well I don't know really how to do it technically, but at least you can try. So, if you want, send me your email in private message and I'll send you the subtitles .

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

July 17, 2012 9:02 pm  #32

Third Star will be released on the 14th August on VOD in the USA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 21, 2012 3:59 am  #33

Gosh, after we received a cancer diagnosis of a good friend someone made me watch this movie. Not a very good choice.. sigh.

And I couldn't stop thinking all night.

“If you should happen to remember it’s the anniversary of my birth, remember that you were loved by me and that you made my life a happy one, and there’s no tragedy in that.  —     Third Star

Words are obviously important and language expresses so much.. in this case, the emphasis is on the tragedy. As humans drop negatives first thing from their memory, the quote that will stick in one's brain is

“If you should happen to remember it’s the anniversary of my birth, remember that you were loved by me and that you made my life a happy one, and there’s tragedy in that.  —     Third Star

I wonder if the film makers meant it to be that ambivalent? Because obviously, while even a life cut short is worth living, there IS still tragedy in that.

Your thoughts?

July 21, 2012 8:14 am  #34

At the beginning of the film he said something like: "I have the sickness, they have the tragedy" If I remember right.
I understand it like: When he is gone, for him the pain is over; but they'll miss him and suffer for the rest of their lifes.
I think the real tragedy for him would have begun later, if he didn't end his life "in time".
But his family and especially his friends helped him so it wouldn't come to that.
Same time I understand the last sentence as a try to help the audience to "come down" after what they just've seen. And for his friends and family, like "Hey, it's alright, you did it well, I'm fine now."

Anyway I agree with you: There is tragedy in that, for both sides. No doubt. You could clearly see his tragedy in several scenes.
AND I don't really understand how someone could recommend that film to you right after the diagnosis of your good friend. My sister suffered from cancer two years ago and that film would definitely not have helped any of us at that time!

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 21, 2012 8:15 am)

July 21, 2012 8:26 am  #35

I absolutely agree with you, it's not the film I would recommend at this point. I was deeply shaken after watching it although I was not personally concerned the way you are. Of course I don't know about your friend's illness but the film portrays a man for whom there is no hope of surviving the cancer whereas for many people there is a cure or at least the chance of having time left to enjoy their lives. Two years ago a good friend of mine committed suicide. At that time I wouldn't have been able to watch a film like that, no way.

July 21, 2012 8:35 am  #36

Well, I deal with cancer and last stage illnesses quite a lot but yeah, sometimes it hits a deeper nerve: children, selfless people, close friends who have already been through so much etc.. thinking back this is actually probably the first time I happen to notice how many cancer movies there are out there. Then again, probably good seeing that 2 out of 3 Australians will get cancer.. more at http://www.bom.gov.au/uv/  maybe there are simply more movies out there nowadays..

July 21, 2012 10:46 am  #37

The quote is also set as a contrast against the life of those who have not been loved and have not loved and for whom no one has made their life a happy one. How much worse would it have been for him if he had not had the love and support of his friends and family and if he had never had felt love for anyone else.

July 21, 2012 10:54 am  #38

Yes, I think the quote is meant to be a sort of comforting epilogue to the film.

July 22, 2012 4:48 am  #39

"think the quote is meant to be a sort of comforting epilogue to the film"

Obviously..

... which is why I wondered if there was intent in using a negation.. anyway, I understand what point of view you are coming from, so happy to leave it at that.. 

July 22, 2012 5:28 am  #40

Davina wrote:

Third Star will be released on the 14th August on VOD in the USA.

Thank you so much for the info. I'll get it then.

Board footera