BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2014 9:23 am  #221

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

Yes, the commentary threw me, I have to admit.   It seemed so clear that Mary was being set up as a villain, possibly even the main villain of S4, especially as so much was unresolved (there is never any open and honest conversation with her).  They compare Mary to Callan, and say that she's done bad things but only because she had to (or something like that) - they talk about her almost killing Sherlock as if it was a mistake (although I'm not sure about that one) and the reconciliation scene as if it's genuine (i.e. John is sincere).   There's still a bit room for maneouvre and I think they could still make her a villain and be consistent with those comments, but I'm definitely less sure that they will. 

I think that either way, losing her is going to be difficult for John.   It doesn't matter how villainous she is - she's the mother of his child and he loved her. 

Mary, I've seen some really strange and irrational stuff about Mary out on the internet (remind me to avoid tumblr).

December 20, 2014 9:39 am  #222

maryagrawatson wrote:

The hate for Mary on this forum is frankly frightening...

I think that's an exaggeration. The "hate" word is quite overused here.

Last edited by Harriet (December 20, 2014 9:41 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 20, 2014 10:08 am  #223

I don't see Mary as a villain, and I do believe John love her deeply. (If he didn't, he would have dropped her l ike a hat after the revelation). 

Even so, I don't like the direction the show has been going now. John getting settled with Mary, a baby on the way. Everything that takes him further and further away from Sherlock and 221B. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2014 11:04 am  #224

Again another certainty is that the boys are not going to stop their adventures.
So the options are: Mary disappears...somehow.
John goes on the adventures and leaves Mary at home.
Mary joins them on the adventures.
I'm fairly certain it's going to be the middle one...
So how do we solve a problem like Mary?
I tend to think the team will stick to canon(they have with Mary being the love of John's life), so I do think she is going  to die.
The baby may just be to throw us...
But I am really keen to see where they go with this.

Last edited by besleybean (December 20, 2014 11:06 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2014 11:17 am  #225

And they've said that Mary can go six months without an adventure, but not seven (or something like that).  So, it wouldn't quite fit to have her continue to work part-time at the surgery and look after the child while John went out and had fun with Sherlock all the time.  That means option 2 might be out.

I have a feeling at the moment, that Mary will be redeemed, but die.  If they don't want an actual baby, that could happen before the baby is born.    If they don't want to dwell on grieving John, there's the possibility to do something like:

Special: just after HLV while Mary is pregnant (or a flashback or something)
S4 Ep 1: Mary still pregnant and dies
S4 Ep 2: Two years after ep 1 - John has moved back in with Sherlock, no longer dealing with the immediate grief.  

December 20, 2014 11:21 am  #226

Hmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2014 12:35 pm  #227

maryagrawatson wrote:

I just don't get the insane vitriol against Mary because I don't think her shooting Sherlock (for reasons that are perfectly clear to me) is in any way as bad as the way John has treated Sherlock in series 3. The hate for Mary on this forum is frankly frightening. After first viewing HLV, I expected her to come back as a villain, but upon further analysis, it would be surprise me if her role gets any darker. I've covered a lot of those thoughts in other threads, so I won't get back into it again, although I look forward to the comments I get about these thoughts.

Mod's note:
We are still talking about a fictional character here, not a real person. I cannot accept expressions like "insane vitriol" and the much overused "hate" directed at members of this forum. People are free to say so if they do not like a fictional character or his/her actions. This applies to Sherlock and John as it does apply to Mary. 
Btw - I love series 3 but I deeply regret the obvious division it caused in the fandom and by extension in this forum.   

Last edited by SusiGo (December 20, 2014 12:38 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2014 1:16 pm  #228

The elephant in the fandom is Johnlock, It's always been there and perhaps it always will be.
Some either are or they're not, hence the division.
Though there are those like me who love the concept of Johnlock,  but only in the fandom.
For many of us, the team has made it clear this is simply not a part of their show.
For me, all S3 did was allow Mary to be used as a Johnlock pawn, for good or ill.
Wonder what S4 will bring.
I know one thing, the BBC team intended Mary to be a positive force.

Last edited by besleybean (December 20, 2014 1:16 pm)

December 20, 2014 1:26 pm  #229

This is not what my post was about. It was about inappropriate words directed at members of this board, words which I find offensive and cannot accept being used around here. We are all adults and should be able to discuss in here without using words like "hate". 

As to your view of Mary as a character - it was the decision of the writers to turn her into a morally grey ex-assassin, not the idea of the Johnlockers. As a character she was widely accepted and liked until HLV. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2014 1:33 pm  #230

Ok, so Mary is divisive too...
And by association the baby.

December 20, 2014 1:59 pm  #231

Exactly. 

December 20, 2014 1:59 pm  #232

besleybean wrote:

The elephant in the fandom is Johnlock, It's always been there and perhaps it always will be.
Some either are or they're not, hence the division.
Though there are those like me who love the concept of Johnlock,  but only in the fandom.
For many of us, the team has made it clear this is simply not a part of their show.
For me, all S3 did was allow Mary to be used as a Johnlock pawn, for good or ill.
Wonder what S4 will bring.
I know one thing, the BBC team intended Mary to be a positive force.

"Elephant in the room" really does not apply to Johnlock.  An elephant in the room is something large and right in front of you that no one  acknowledged or talks about.  Johnlock, pro or con, has been discussed at length not only in the fandom but also in popular media.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 20, 2014 2:20 pm  #233

While the desire between John and Sherlock appears to be the Elephant in the Room between them two. It's there but they would not yet let it show. In this perception Johnlock would be the elephant 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 20, 2014 2:59 pm  #234

I love elephants.

December 20, 2014 3:24 pm  #235

Harriet wrote:

maryagrawatson wrote:

Says the person who felt necessary to scream at me in all capitals that Mary shot Sherlock.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 20, 2014 3:30 pm  #236

Excuse me? I don't scream here. I sometimes stress some words so that it's clear what I focus on.
Perhaps you think everything that happens here is directed personally at you?
That everything that does not agree 100% with you is meant to express hate?

EDIT: After checking the facts: It wasn't even me then who dared to use capital letters, it happened 4 months ago, and the person apologized immediately 

Last edited by Harriet (December 21, 2014 11:58 am)

December 20, 2014 3:31 pm  #237

Harriet wrote:

maryagrawatson wrote:

Says the person who felt necessary to scream at me in all capitals that Mary shot Sherlock.

I find it amazing that it's perfectly okay for some people to say absolutely terrible things about what they want to have happen to a character and tell another poster it's not okay to have a different opinion, but when that poster with a different opinion does the same, she is chastized. Nice double standard.

I knew this was the topic that was going to lead me to this point and I've avoided responding to it as much as I could, but some of you really need to go back and read some of your comments about Mary and take a good hard look at them because hate and insane vitriol are facts, not opinions.

I've had a lot of fun on this board, but I'm done. I won't be back.

Mary

Last edited by maryagrawatson (December 20, 2014 3:31 pm)

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 20, 2014 4:29 pm  #238

Liberty wrote:

Special: just after HLV while Mary is pregnant (or a flashback or something)
S4 Ep 1: Mary still pregnant and dies
S4 Ep 2: Two years after ep 1 - John has moved back in with Sherlock, no longer dealing with the immediate grief.  

Then it makes more sense, I believe, to have Mary die in the special and set S4 Ep. 1 two years or so after that. Sort of a ret-con.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2014 5:34 pm  #239

What's a ret-con?

December 20, 2014 5:52 pm  #240

retcon(shortened form of RETroactive CONtinuity; first made popular in the comic book world) 

1. (original meaning) Adding information to the back story of a fictional character or world, without invalidating that which had gone before. 

2. (more common usage) Adding or altering information regarding the back story of a fictional character or world, regardless of whether the change contradicts what was said before.

Board footera