BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2014 8:49 pm  #201

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

Based on John's reaction to Sherlock's 'death' and Mary's betrayal, losing Mary and the baby is going to destroy him. I cannot imagine him undergoing that kind of loss and just moving back in with Sherlock and carrying on as if nothing happened. I can't think of a single scenario posited in this thread that wouldn't leave John an emotional wreck. The only thing I think could work would be that he and Mary agree to split up and she has the baby full-time with John being a part-time dad. That scenario would work for me while effectively getting Mary out of the picture.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 19, 2014 8:52 pm  #202

Oh I can't see that at all...no John is going to be devastated whatever... and possibly Sherlock too
I'm hoping they find solace in each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 19, 2014 8:59 pm  #203

Maybe John will never know. Maybe Mary moves away, with baby, and we get to know via Sherlock that she died, or the baby...
I'm thinking of John and Mycroft trying to keep Sherlock in the dark about Irene's fate. Of course Sherlock worked it out, but I'm not sure if John could work out such a thing. If someone told him Mary was save somewhere... maybe that could be it.
Also, I'm thinking, Mary could become involved in another shooting, maybe becoming a murderer in front of witnesses, and how high would her chances be to keep the child with her then? Mary in prison... maybe that would be alright for John. After all, she wasn't honest with him, and he was really pissed of with her. It would be tragic, but something that't not final and something maybe acceptable for John.

"It is what it is."

December 19, 2014 9:04 pm  #204

Mary is the love of John';s life and she carries his child.
Anything that happens to her will break him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 19, 2014 9:09 pm  #205

This is your opinion. Lots of people regard her as a villain or at least a morally grey character and cannot believe that John forgave her for shooting Sherlock. 

And after watching the deleted scene I am even more convinced than before - Magnussen is indisputably a villain and the scenes with him and Mary entering Sherlock's room in hospital and threatening/humiliating him are very similar. This cannot be a coincidence. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 19, 2014 9:11 pm  #206

Anything that happens to Sherlock will break him.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 19, 2014 9:17 pm  #207

Well the one thing we know for certain.
Shetlock ain't gonna be bumped off.

December 19, 2014 9:24 pm  #208

Canon-Watson lost his two wives within four years (1887 and 1891) and yet didn't give the impression of being broken. In 1894 he returned to 221B.
Just saying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 19, 2014 9:28 pm  #209

BBC Mary is a different deal to Canon Mary, though,.

December 19, 2014 9:31 pm  #210

That is my only worry if Mary (and/or the child) dies. What it will do to John. We've only seen glimpse of his grief for Sherlock, and he's still in a mess two years later. He might not react as harsly to Mary dying, but I can imagine it will be pretty damaging anyhow. And especially if the child is involved. And that would cloud him completely.

I just don't see how Moftiss can write themselves out of thiss mess, but I am sure they have.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 19, 2014 9:51 pm  #211

besleybean wrote:

BBC Mary is a different deal to Canon Mary, though,.

Canon Watson lost two wives. TWO. And he didn't turn into a mourning mollycoddle .
ACD didn't consider wives and girlfriends being that important for his main protagonists.
Though BBC Mary is different I'm sure she won't be written being that essential for John in the long run.
Sherlock is the only one who matters to him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 19, 2014 9:56 pm  #212

I just don't see this...
I feel they've written her as a really important character.

Last edited by besleybean (December 19, 2014 9:56 pm)

December 19, 2014 9:59 pm  #213

besleybean wrote:

I just don't see this...
I feel they've written her as a really important character.

Maybe just for the moment.
But certainly not in the long run.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 19, 2014 10:19 pm  #214

And the creators have always stated that Sherlock and John are at the heart of the show. IMO there is no room for a crime-solving trio in the long run. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 19, 2014 10:24 pm  #215

Possibly not.
But we were also discussing the impact of Mary and/or baby Watson.

December 19, 2014 10:36 pm  #216

Of course. At least they have managed to start many lively discussions by writing Mary like that and including a baby and thereby by changing the dynamics at least for the time being. 

December 20, 2014 12:02 am  #217

maryagrawatson wrote:

Based on John's reaction to Sherlock's 'death' and Mary's betrayal, losing Mary and the baby is going to destroy him. I cannot imagine him undergoing that kind of loss and just moving back in with Sherlock and carrying on as if nothing happened. I can't think of a single scenario posited in this thread that wouldn't leave John an emotional wreck. The only thing I think could work would be that he and Mary agree to split up and she has the baby full-time with John being a part-time dad. That scenario would work for me while effectively getting Mary out of the picture.

Mary

And this is one of the reasons why I want Mary to die a villian.  I want her to act and die in such a way that John is DONE with her.  I want him filled with fury.  Hell, I could even go for a scenario where John has to shoot her himself to save Sherlock.

But that's just me. 

Note:  Also why I would prefer the pregancy to either be fake or not John's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 20, 2014 2:23 am  #218

This is about the 10th time I write this post and I think I'm actually going to submit it even though I know I am going to get so much flack for it. But here goes.

I just don't get the insane vitriol against Mary because I don't think her shooting Sherlock (for reasons that are perfectly clear to me) is in any way as bad as the way John has treated Sherlock in series 3. The hate for Mary on this forum is frankly frightening. After first viewing HLV, I expected her to come back as a villain, but upon further analysis, it would be surprise me if her role gets any darker. I've covered a lot of those thoughts in other threads, so I won't get back into it again, although I look forward to the comments I get about these thoughts.

I don't want anything bad to happen to Baby Watson and I would welcome the growth of character that would come from BW being on the show in whatever capacity (I think Sherlock would be fantastic with her, for one thing). ACD John had a dog, so it's not a stretch for me that the dog would be turned into a baby for this incarnation of the stories. If BW were to die, then the only way I can imagine the series moving forward is by flashing ahead to the future after John has had time to grieve.

Mary
donning her flack jacket

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 20, 2014 3:52 am  #219

I fully appreciate your points about how you feel about Mary. 

I like her too - a lot.  And I would feel bad about if she were to be viewed as a villain (which I don't think she is at all despite the shooting which took place in HLV).  All the prior issues of trust/anger/insecurity, etc. that those 3 adults had with each other seemed resolved by the time they were on the tarmac before Sherlock got on the plane ready to go into exile.

But I differ with you on the idea of the baby.  Dogs in adult dramas aren`t the same as adding a baby into the character mix.  And in the books the Watson's dog was virtually ignored and wasn't utilised as a device to develop the characters. 

How long do you think it would be, if the baby came on board before folks would be asking  "When will we see the little tyke?"  and other such questions.  Don't show a pet and it just fades into the background, like Sherlock's skull or the Persian slipper, but don't show John being a father, connecting with his child and his character suffers greatly IMO (he would look uncaring).  It would change the dynamic of the show. 

And yet if you do show such things then that too changes the focus of the show as well.  Suddenly it isn't about John and Sherlock - it is about how BW affects their relationship. And it never goes away unless the child goes away.

I do agree with your point that character development would result from the addition of BW - but it isn't that type of character development that I want to see on this particular show. 

I don't really want to see Sherlock being great with a baby.  He has plenty of ways to explore his humanity in ways that suit the purpose of the stories and the show better. The focus should always be how John is Holmes' chronicler and willing partner in solving crimes and how two very different personalities balance each out to form a indelible friendship.  

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 20, 2014 8:41 am  #220

Chiming in to agree, too.
Whatever we feel about Mary, the team seem to be making clear she is the love of John's life.
John and Mary were reconciled on Chritmas day.
By the time we get to the tarrmac scene (and yes this did happen, we did leave 221B and move on)...all three are resolved to one another.
It is made clear on the commentary that Mary has a past, she did bad things, but she is now trying to move on.

Last edited by besleybean (December 20, 2014 8:42 am)

Board footera