BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2014 4:04 pm  #1

Cursing and classes - Sherlock & John

Odd title thread there, but I have two things I would like to disuss. They seem a bit intertwined, and they might be too small in themselves for a whole thread so I'm combining them here.

I know that England is still a class-conscious country, more so than Norway, at least. And I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on what class Sherlock and John might come from?

I always picture Sherlock to come from upper middle class, but I think that is mainly due to Benedict's own posh upbringing and mannerism and Mycroft's high role in soceity in the series. But I do think Sherlock and Mycroft would belong in upper middle class. And for whatever reason, I feel John might be a tad "lower" in the class register.

Which brings me to my second topic - cursing. I don't think I have ever heard Sherlock curse. (Unless you include his often heard "Oh, for God's sake!"). While as John frequently will say things like "Christ!", "hell" and "Jesus!". I think that is also an indicator for me when it comes to class.

I feel Sherlock's upbringing, accent, family, mannerism and clothing speaks of upper middle class. Same does his disregard for money (usually the people who say they don't care about money are those that have never had to). John, on the other hand seemed a bit more laidback and "everyday joe", both in accent, mannerism, and clothing. He is a doctor, so that would put him in middle class anyway.

So, those are my musings, coming from an outsider from Norway. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Vhanja (December 16, 2014 4:04 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 16, 2014 4:31 pm  #2

Re: Cursing and classes - Sherlock & John

I think that John and Sherlock have had comparable middle class upbringings.

Having seen the Holmes parents, I believe that Sherlock and Mycroft try to pass themselves off as 'posh', but they obviously aren't. Mummy was a homemaker, who knows what dad did, but they're still buying lottery tickets. So they're obviously not well off.

John likely has more formal education than Sherlock does. We know from TSOT that Sherlock did graduate in chemistry, but there's no evidence of any more formal schooling than that. John's a doctor, so he's gone well beyond a BA.

You're right that Sherlock doesn't swear much. We did hear him say, "P*** off" in ASIP, but he was quoting other people. He did very clearly to myself, friends, and Ariane DeVere, our beloved episode transcriptionist, very clearly exclaimed "F***!" when he hit the roadblock with the motorcycle in TEH and it's also implied that he quoted John as saying "F*** off" in the same episode. He does say shut up a lot, which irritates me to no end.

As for John, I can't believe that the BBC allows the word s*** (as in defecation), which John says in ASIB when Mycroft says that Sherlock took the cigarette at the morgue.

I find it interesting that Sherlock uses the word 'toilet' while John uses the word 'loo.'

I've caught Sherlock making making grammatical mistakes, most notably in ASIB ("Did you know there were other people after her too, Mycroft, before you sent John and I in there?"). I can't even think of one instance off the top of my head that John has. This is likely just a writer's error, but it bugs me to no end.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 16, 2014 4:37 pm  #3

So it seems it goes both ways? John curses more than Sherlock and uses more slang words, but Sherlock makes more grammatical mistakes?

Why does "shut up" irritate you? 

I didn't know the s-word was a big thing to let through, I thougth was one of the mildest curse words around?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 16, 2014 5:52 pm  #4

This is interesting and not something I know a lot about, but here's my opinion anyway (and I'm sure there are details I can't remember or have missed!).  I think they're both some form of middleclass, but class isn't as clearcut in the UK as it used to be. 

John's ex-army and I've met ex-army officers who have a "posh" accent, regardless of their background.  It seems to be more of an "army officer" background.  And of course, they often don't stay around in the town they were brought up in, and they mix with people from different backgrounds, so I suppose the native accent is more likely to go.   So it's possible that he could have come from a working class background originally.

Mycroft and Sherlock come across as being public school (i.e. a school that charges fees rather than a free state-run one - I'm just mentioning that because I think the phrase "public school" must sound like the opposite of what it is to anyone not in the know!), but it's not a given. 

Sherlock's mum seems to be highly educated - middle class.  The cottage doesn't look like council/social housing - middle class. (And depending on where it is, it could be a very expensive dwelling!)  Both his parents are "well spoken" - likely middle class. 

John would be social class 1 (used to be A) by occupation.  I don't know if there's a class for consulting detectives, but he's probably a 1 too. 

December 16, 2014 6:00 pm  #5

Vhanja wrote:

So it seems it goes both ways? John curses more than Sherlock and uses more slang words, but Sherlock makes more grammatical mistakes? 

Perhaps. I don't know if it means anything. Just something I noticed.

Why does "shut up" irritate you? 

I find it incredibly rude and hurtful.

I didn't know the s-word was a big thing to let through

I remember reading something about an American TV show (one of the older medical dramas, probably ER) on a regular cable where language is monitored and there was a huge kerfuffle about the S-sword being said. Every country's different.

Mary

December 16, 2014 6:11 pm  #6

There is a time and a place,...but they are just words!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 16, 2014 6:12 pm  #7

I always thought that toilet was posher than loo, but apparently it's the other way round?

I never wanted to say loo, thought it was too rude, preferred to use the more polite word toilet. I thought saying loo would be similar as to saying dunny in Australia. I also thought that restroom was a place where people could sleep. It makes sense when you think about it. 

December 16, 2014 6:15 pm  #8

'Bog' is one of the more polite Brit slang terms for a toilet.
I also don't like 'bathroom', unless it actulaly HAS a bath in it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 16, 2014 6:21 pm  #9

Bog as in swamp? The English language never ceases to amaze me. Yesterday I learned that you can't call a penis a penis because that's weird somehow. 

Bathroom is more an American thing, isn't it? I learned about the word 'restroom' when I was in Australia, on long busrides. When they stopped at service stations there were 'restrooms' and I just assumed that's where people would sleep, since the distances are soo long, travelers might need some rest. Only in search of a toilet I finally dared to open one of those restrooms, very quietly. Imagine my delight. I still don't understand why people call them restrooms, though. They're not for resting. 

December 16, 2014 6:30 pm  #10

Oh, I don't know.  You can have a bit of a sitdown and a read of the paper - sounds like a rest to me!

No, I'm kidding - it does seem incredibly coy.   Although I suppose even "toilet" and "loo" are kind of euphemisms originally. 

December 16, 2014 6:37 pm  #11

I don't know what loo means. But toilet is French for washing or putting up makeup or something. Lavatory is related to the French word se laver: washing oneself. 

December 16, 2014 8:41 pm  #12

Wow, I'm confused. If I were to politely ask an Englisman to use their facilities, I would probably ask "where's the bathroom? Loo seems to be as a very informal slang word that I wouldn't use in front of someone I don't know well. And I would never use a word like bog!

And thank you for clearing up the bit about public school. Public school is to me the state school, as opposed to private school, which is non-state and costs a fee.

Not easy being a foreigner in England and know all the nuances...

To my foreign ears, Sherlock speaks more "posh" (in lack of a better word) than John. Is that just me hearing hallucinations, or does anybody else hear the same?

Team Hudders!

December 16, 2014 9:10 pm  #13

Vhanja wrote:

To my foreign ears, Sherlock speaks more "posh" (in lack of a better word) than John. Is that just me hearing hallucinations, or does anybody else hear the same?

It's the same to me. Sherlock even sounds 'posher' than Benedict. I keep waiting for the interview where Benedict talks about his Sherlock voice because the actor and the character sound absolutely nothing alike.

By the way, a loo/toilet/restroom/bog is a washroom in Canada. As if weren't all confused enough.

I'm in a Spanish-speaking country for a few months and still have no idea if I should be asking for the baño or the servicios.

And in my culture (French Canadian), you can ask for the salle de bath (literally bathroom), the toilette (toilet), or, my favourite, the petit coin (little corner)...

Mary

December 17, 2014 6:42 am  #14

I know toilet originally referred to the whole washing processs...but to me it still seems the best term to use for the evacuation process!

December 17, 2014 8:19 am  #15

I am not a native speaker myself but I learned on this board that Sherlock's "laterz" and "blud" are regarded as highly colloquial and not typical for his manner of speaking. Is that right?

And I must say I am very glad that in Germany you can just ask for the "Toilette", be it in a restaurant or at people's homes. No problem whatsoever. Of course we have vulgar words for it and euphemisms but "Toilette" is the one correct term for all occasions. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 17, 2014 10:12 am  #16

Yeah, in Norway "toalett" would be the form word, and it means the ceramiic thingy itself. The informal use is "do", which I guess it's the same as "loo".

Hm, I thought Benedict spoke just as "posh" as Sherlock (except he curses more). Sherlock just speaks more... technical/scienc-y.

Team Hudders!

December 17, 2014 1:06 pm  #17

In America one of our other slang terms is "potty."  Usualy used by mothers and children.  As in "Mommy, I have to go potty."  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2014 4:59 pm  #18

I know and I hate using 'potty' for adults!

December 17, 2014 5:12 pm  #19

besleybean wrote:

I know and I hate using 'potty' for adults!

Sorry BB.  I use it all the time.    I think it's just a hold over from when the kids were small.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2014 6:34 pm  #20

Funny, in my original country, we still use WC (is the informal to the toilet), especially when is not a whole bathroom. Does any english country use WC as a name anymore? 

I find funny that in Germany some women say " i have to go for the little girls" . It does sound weird translated in english thought (and is very informal, like potty i supose). 

Question: Is Jesus! or Christ! seen as cursing in UK? In my original country is just a sign of surprise or upset, but not cursing or seen as vulgar (or my grand grand mother has cursing a lot without me knowing it , lol).

As for Sherlock vs John: from the show we see that Sherlock has no anxity that he won't have the money for the bills or rent and gives his credit card very easy to John, while John is plagued by worries about money. Sherlock doesn't work for money with the police and perhaps start to get money from clients when is pushed by John (as we see at the Bank).  So it seems to me that Sherlock, despite having a job in which money doesn't come regularly has some savings, while John has not. While in army for so many years, John should have earn quite ok, he doesn't seem someone who would spend easily his money, so perhaps he had to pay back his uni /school. In HLV we get the information that he has 10% debt - what does this mean? If John parents are dead like is implied by their absence at the wedding (plus the deleted scene in the Chronicles), he didn't inherited too much, so i suppose his parents were not very well-off.

It might be that Sherlock gets money from Mycroft, which is very clearly very well-off. 

Last edited by A lovely light (December 17, 2014 6:36 pm)

Board footera