BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2014 9:57 pm  #1181

Re: The Imitation Game

Yes, I think it would be better. For once, not everybody knows his story in detail and his story is not identical with the script either. So if the script is discussed in here, I would count it as a spoiler. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 8, 2014 9:58 pm  #1182

Liberty wrote:

Some of the reviews do sort of have spoilers (like the one I didn't spoil, above!). Depending on what you mean by "spoilers", of course (given that it's a story that we know) - the above ones do mention what parts of Turing's life are included, for instance.  I suppose we could post and discuss them on the other thread if that's better? 

Since there's a specific TIG spoiler thread, yeah, for those of you who've seen the movie already, that actually sounds like a fun place to go chat about what you guys thought.

December 8, 2014 10:16 pm  #1183

OK, I'll take it that if the review is posted here, it's not too spoilery to discuss here and if it's posted in the other thread, to keep it there!   But don't worry, I haven't given away any spoilers which aren't in the reviews (and even avoided some which ARE in the reviews).  I'm assuming people here do know at least what's in the first post in this thread - there's a lot of spoilers already here (not that that's a bad thing).

I think ALL the reviews do spoil a little bit.  And Benedict's interviews too.   I think it's difficult to hear anything about the film without finding out about Turing's story.  Which is interesting because it seems that although team are happy to talk about the story when promoting it, it's actually aimed at people who DON'T know the story. 

Last edited by Liberty (December 8, 2014 10:22 pm)

December 8, 2014 10:23 pm  #1184

My idea was that people who have seen the film and discuss it on this basis should post in the other thread. This also goes for discussions of reviews based on people's own experience. This should be quite easy. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 8, 2014 10:35 pm  #1185

That's why I was wondering if it might be an idea to post the reviews over there (they're by people who have seen the film, after all!).   I suppose people understandably aren't so interested in discussing the reviews until they've actually seen the film. 

December 8, 2014 10:43 pm  #1186

Yes, good idea. So please post reviews (your own and others) from now on in the other thread. Thank you all. 

December 8, 2014 10:59 pm  #1187

I hope people will continue to post links to various magazine and newspaper articles about Ben and the film on this thread.

December 9, 2014 6:41 am  #1188

And people not read them, if they don't want spoilers?

Last edited by besleybean (December 9, 2014 6:41 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 9, 2014 7:45 am  #1189

I just saw several Golden Globe and Oscar predictions online, looks good for him. As well as for "His last vow" maybe he'll get two GG nominations this Thursday

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 9, 2014 8:04 am  #1190

ancientsgate wrote:

I hope people will continue to post links to various magazine and newspaper articles about Ben and the film on this thread.

Ancientsgate: Now this is getting difficult - this would mean people post links in here but may not discuss their contents if they deal with the contents of the film? I think this does not work. So please - personal opinions and published reviews into the other thread, general news about nominations, release dates, etc. in here. 

Ivy: Yes, this is quite exciting. Keeping fingers crossed.  

December 9, 2014 12:55 pm  #1191

I am getting so impatient to see this film!   :-(

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 9, 2014 2:24 pm  #1192

SusiGo wrote:

Ivy: Yes, this is quite exciting. Keeping fingers crossed.  

Since you are a mod. Where should we open a Golden Globe 2015 thread, in the award section or the BC section? In case he gets a nomination for TIG (and maybe Sherlock,too) and "His last vow" also gets a nomination(s) (for Mofftiss or Martin).

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 9, 2014 2:27 pm  #1193

Well, if there are nominations for both, there could be two threads (TIG thread and Sherlock awards section). 

December 12, 2014 8:36 pm  #1194

More nominations - the San Francisco Film Critics Awards:

Best picture, best actor, best adapted screenplay

I it interesting that there are so many nominations as best film but hardly any for best director. 

December 12, 2014 8:50 pm  #1195

That IS interesting - I didn't notice that.  I'm not sure how the nominations are chosen.  Do you think it's because he's a less experienced director?  Or is it suggesting that they see the overall package of the film being greater than it's direction?  (I'm pretty sure I'm saying that the wrong way). 

December 12, 2014 9:17 pm  #1196

Sounds quite plausible.  Not all awards do have a director category. And it may be indeed that the whole is perceived as being better than some of its parts. But of course a best picture nomination is also recognition for the director.

December 12, 2014 10:05 pm  #1197

At the Oscars you often tend to have nominations for Best Film AND the director of the film.
They seem to realize that a film can't direct itself.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 12, 2014 10:08 pm  #1198

SolarSystem wrote:

At the Oscars you often tend to have nominations for Best Film AND the director of the film.
They seem to realize that a film can't direct itself.

And directors are considered cool for some reason. As though they're the raison d'etre for all the good or bad things that any film is. They get way more credit for coolness than the writers do, for instance, but where would any of them be without the dialogue and the action written to move the characters around?

December 12, 2014 10:11 pm  #1199

It seems to be the other way round on TV sometimes - the directors get less credit (Sherlock being an example). 

And then some directors are writers too, just to complicate things .

Last edited by Liberty (December 12, 2014 10:16 pm)

December 12, 2014 11:49 pm  #1200

Not sure if this video has been posted anywhere yet but it's worth seeing more than once.    BC is interviewed by "The Carpetbagger," a reporter from The New York Times who does features about the Oscar race.  He's discussing Alan Turing and the video alternates between talking about The Imitation Game and the new Steven Hawking biopic.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/100000003298134/battle-of-the-british-geniuses.html?playlistId=1194811668553

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera