BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2014 7:03 pm  #21

Re: Andrew Scott in Pride

Awesome!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 11, 2014 7:55 pm  #22

That's great news!  I don't suppose I really understand the classification (it has music in it, but I wouldn't say it's a musical, and it has comedy in it, but also very serious subjects).   But maybe putting it in that category allows it to win without having to compete with the heavy hitters.

Are there really only a couple of us here who have seen it?  Maybe it's one of those films that more people will watch on DVD/Pay-per-view.  I hope so.  I don't think it's a film that needs a big screen so will be a good one to watch at home (with tissues handy).

I'm tempted to buy the album - maybe one for the Christmas list!

Last edited by Liberty (December 11, 2014 7:56 pm)

December 11, 2014 8:04 pm  #23

Andrews acceptance speech from BIFA

He's such a sweetheart.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 11, 2014 9:41 pm  #24

Thank you! I've been searching for it all the time.
That speech is a disaster. But so cute! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 13, 2014 1:13 pm  #25

Liberty wrote:

I'm tempted to buy the album - maybe one for the Christmas list!

Me too, I loved the soundtrack,it includes most of the bands I listened to constantly 30 years ago and when I came home from the movie I instantly put my Best of Jimmy Sommerville into the cd player and danced through my appartment!

And I´m very glad the film is getting so many awards and nominations, I really hope it helps to attract a larger audience!

December 13, 2014 1:22 pm  #26

Love Jimmy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2015 8:24 am  #27

I am… so confused.  And annoyed.  And… mostly annoyed.  I like my country, but there's still a lot of idiocy when it comes to decently handling LGBT stuff.  And unfortunately 'Pride' got caught in that radar.
Please take a look at this article-  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/06/cbs-films-pride-gay_n_6423384.html

Apparently the US distributors for the film are 'straight-washing' the cover of it.  Yeah.  There's a pic in the link, with the 'after' image showing their gay banner deleted out, and some wording changed.  I just…  wha?  How does that even…?  *throws up hands*  I don't even know.  If you know what the film's about (and for people buying it, they probably would), what's the point?  If you don't know what it's about, then what the darn heck is the point?  They'll think 'oh, a nice lovely film about activists helping the ignored miners… oh wait, they're gay??'   

There's an interesting updated statement on there from CBS saying they're looking into it, and from Warchus, the director, basically saying it sucks, but he kinda understands, from a marketing standpoint.  If I may play devil's avocate (just for a second!), I kinda see why… trying to get the biggest audience possible to buy it, and market it to uncertain stores by having the cover be more neutral.  Also not have to 'label' and 'spotlight' only the LGBT aspect of everything that contains that stuff, but have the story and people be the most important.  That said, it's still ridiculous.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 9, 2015 4:55 pm  #28

I apologise in advance, I'm just going to have a little interjection here!
My pal sent me 2 texts overnight.
She'd been at some celeb party and Andrew was there.
She went into great detail on how he commanded the room and the effect he had on people!
But the best part of the story was that he mouthed 'hello' to her across the room- as he remembered meeting her before!

Last edited by besleybean (January 9, 2015 4:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2015 5:31 pm  #29

It does seem ridiculous to change the marketing.   The whole film is  ABOUT these two groups supporting each other.   If you're going to take away the LBGT aspect, you might just as well take away the miner aspect and have no film at all!    It's not as if the DVD cover is even controversial in any way, surely? 

May 7, 2015 2:56 pm  #30

Yeah, I was appalled by the US DVD cover.  I got the film from my local library and the Canadian DVD cover is toally different and it doesn't delete anything about gays and lesbians.  Only in America I guess.

But I liked the film.  It was funny but also touching, and lots of good performances.  Andrew was good, of course.  I'm not saying I don't like Moriarty, but it was nice to see him playing a "good guy" for once, though I had to ajust to him being on the good side.  His character, though not the most important, did have a touching storyline and I thought he was good in it.  I also recognized Russell Tovey, who was in The Hounds of Baskervile.  Did you guys catch that?

Clueing for looks.

May 7, 2015 4:01 pm  #31

Yes, I recognised him. 

I liked the film very much. Wonderfully heartwarming and courageous story. And do not miss the featurette onthe VDV where many of the surviving real-life people are interviewed. Very impressive. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 7, 2015 7:43 pm  #32

I recognised him too. And loved the film.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 4, 2016 3:43 pm  #33

OMG.
I suddenly remembered this dvd was still sitting on my shelf, a year after I bought it.
I have just sat and watched it.
I laughed and I cried.
The most wonderful film I have seen  for a very long time.

August 4, 2016 4:46 pm  #34

Oh wow, you've just seen it now?!  Isn't it fantastic?  I haven't seen it since it came out.  Maybe time to rewatch it. 

August 4, 2016 4:48 pm  #35

Yes, as I said...I just forgot all about it.
Quite perked me up for the afternoon...and of course I kept bopping around the living room, dancing to the bangin' toons!

August 4, 2016 5:45 pm  #36

You haven't seen it before, just now? It's one of my favourite films ever, so funny (when the Wales women found the dildo! or them in the gay club) and sooo sad too. When Andrews character Gethin goes back to Wales and visits his mother. Andrew is so sweet in that film.
And Bill Nighy and Imelda Staunton are just marvelous in it!
I love Bill Braggs "There's Power in a Union" at the end of the film and the information you get how the gay and lesbian rights got into Labour Party's manifesto.

I knew a bit about the miner strikes and what a "lovely" person Mrs Thatcher was, but I've never heard of this.

----------

August 4, 2016 5:56 pm  #37

I can only repeat: I was so excited about the project, ran out and bought the dvd...took it to my parents last year, hoping to see it- we didn't.
Then forgot all about it!
So it was an absolute treat this afternoon, really set me up for the day!
I cried at 'Andrew' visiting his Mum

Last edited by besleybean (August 4, 2016 5:57 pm)

August 4, 2016 6:31 pm  #38

Ivy, it wasn't really publicised much at the time, so easy to miss.   I was involved at the time (striking and fundraising for miners, etc.) and didn't hear about it, or at least I don't remember.   I remember reading something about the making of the film - that it came from somebody coming across the video (possibly the one I posted on the last page) and only managing to track down the people because one had an unusual name.    It's a wonderful piece of history and I'm so glad it was "rescued". 

August 4, 2016 6:34 pm  #39

Me too and Andrew must be so proud of Stephen's screen play.

August 4, 2016 7:07 pm  #40

Liberty wrote:

Ivy, it wasn't really publicised much at the time, so easy to miss.   I was involved at the time (striking and fundraising for miners, etc.) and didn't hear about it, or at least I don't remember.   I remember reading something about the making of the film - that it came from somebody coming across the video (possibly the one I posted on the last page) and only managing to track down the people because one had an unusual name.    It's a wonderful piece of history and I'm so glad it was "rescued". 

Yeah I saw a documentation about the real people in the film, very interesting. And all of the actors said they didn't know about the involvement of the Gay/Lesbian community either.

----------

Board footera