BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2012 10:07 am  #101

Re: What makes you unique?

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

Smoggy, was it also to celebrate his 80th birthday? I'd think they celebrate him in many countries. The concert here was a couple weeks before his actual birthday though.

It was to celebrate his 80th birthday. Either way, even if it wasn't strictly speaking the same concert I think we can agree the music was great. Schindler's List especially. Did they play that at yours?

Yes, and that performance really moved me. It was such a beautiful moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 25, 2012 1:01 pm  #102

Just an observation but have you noticed that this 'What makes you unique' thread is actually showing how many things some of us have in common. It may not have been its original intention but I think it's great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 25, 2012 1:10 pm  #103

That only proves no one's very unique, no one's THAT special.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 25, 2012 5:32 pm  #104

Sherlock is.

June 25, 2012 5:58 pm  #105

True, but he's fictional.

June 25, 2012 6:42 pm  #106

What?!

June 25, 2012 6:45 pm  #107

I'm kidding of course.

June 25, 2012 7:22 pm  #108

Don't scare us like that :O

Hm... unique... well, I guess there is something unique in all of us. It's quite complicated to name it, though, since we don't know enough about each other to know which things are unique.

June 25, 2012 8:01 pm  #109

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Very brave of you to admit that, SP. I admire your courage on that. It probably took even more to come out in real life, not only because it's a face-to-face experience, but also because people aren't always accepting.

Here's a list:
I play the viola (although everyone already knows that)
I love math.
I text wayyyyy too much but almost never call people.
I am fixated on trains. I will go out of my way to ride them.
I once played five separate parts in a spectacularly bad production of Number the Stars: The Musical.
I speak French.

Thanks SLA. Yes I sacrificed a lot to be true to myself but ultimately don't we all? I think the viola is such a lovely sounding instrument. I'll bet you play beautifully!

SP, I don't know if you get Time magazine, but I recently picked up an issue about people "coming out" as illegal immigrants. It's obviously a very different kind of coming out but it makes you think. And a similarity is that there are no national laws (at least in our country) protecting gender identity or immigration status as it relates to being hired for a job.

If you haven't read the article, I would highly recommend it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 25, 2012 11:28 pm  #110

We should remember that "unique" does not mean the same as "unusual" or "different." At least, it didn't used to.

June 25, 2012 11:29 pm  #111

Dramagod wrote:

I'm kidding of course.

Thank you. I can start breathing again.

June 26, 2012 1:46 am  #112

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

SP, I don't know if you get Time magazine, but I recently picked up an issue about people "coming out" as illegal immigrants. It's obviously a very different kind of coming out but it makes you think. And a similarity is that there are no national laws (at least in our country) protecting gender identity or immigration status as it relates to being hired for a job.

SLA thanks, For obvious reasons I have a soft spot in my heart and much empathy for any individual or group marginalized or devalued just because they are different from the majority. I will look for this and be sure to read it .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 26, 2012 1:54 am  #113

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

SLA thanks, For obvious reasons I have a soft spot in my heart and much empathy for any individual or group marginalized or devalued just because they are different from the majority. I will look for this and be sure to read it .

The way they use the photographs in conjunction with the article is very powerful. Tell me what you think if you find it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 15, 2012 11:28 am  #114

Nice thread! So nice to read about how different and how similar we all are
I can't think of much about myself but something just occurred to me today:
- I was born premature (only 7 months)
- I am color-blind. Just yellow-green color blindness. Apart from that, I am OK with all the other colors. The nurse that administered the test to me could not believe it and she thought I was just playing with her. According to her, it is very rare for females to be color blind.

July 15, 2012 12:44 pm  #115

Just read this thread from the beginning and was really impressed some time. I appreciate how openhearted some of you are writing here, and I notice again what kind of wonderful and interesting people are around here!

Had to think a bit, what might make me unique but consider myself as an "everybody"; except maybe.....:

I felt "unique" my whole life, because from the beginning I've been taller than all the other girls.
That doesn't sound dramatic at once, but I can tell you: it was problematic. And sometimes still is.
I was a kind of outsider all the time, kids were teasing me, or just avoiding. Of course I had friends, but anyway... it can be difficult, especially as a young girl.
Later on I had problems to find a boyfriend, find clothings, shoes....

I always wanted to be shorter. In school, with my friends, in my job....
I have never been good at sports, no idea where to put my arms and legs. The others laughing. So I often pretended to be sick. From doing no sports later on I got sick.

Mum wanted me to join a group of "tall people" when I was a teenager, but I refused and told her: "I'm not handicapped!"  In a way she always gave me the feeling that I might be. I think she suffered in a way, but should have been more humorous; that would probably have helped me.
Later as an adult I tried this "tall people group - thing" and it was interesting to meet women even taller than me. Suddenly I was almost the smallest.
On the other hand I noticed quite quickly that being tall was the only commonality we had, so I skipped it. It was BORING! 
Finding a community with the same interest is much more interesting - I notice here and in "my" clay-forum.

Some men still have problems being shorter than I am. But today it is their problem, no longer mine. I think they have to work on their self-confidence.

Regarding everything else I am quite common I guess, there are even more and more tall girls to see today and clothing is not that problem anymore - thanks internet.

If anyone's wondering now: No, I'm not 2 meters tall - it's "only" 188  -  5 cm more than Ben, I guess. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 15, 2012 12:46 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 15, 2012 2:47 pm  #116

Mattlocked wrote:

Some men still have problems being shorter than I am. But today it is their problem, no longer mine. I think they have to work on their self-confidence.

Regarding everything else I am quite common I guess, there are even more and more tall girls to see today and clothing is not that problem anymore - thanks internet.

That's the spirit!

And, yes, I think the girls today are really tall. I'm 170 cm (or 5 ft. 7") and never felt small but my daughter and her friends are much taller than me.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 17, 2012 2:20 am  #117

I'm a tall girl, too...although I'm only about 182 cm (6 ft for us Americans) 

Let's see... What makes me unique... Well, a lot of the things I can think of that makes me unique have already been taken by other people (I suppose we're just alike here  ), but oh well. I'll try to come up with a few new things....

I play oboe.
I'm currently attempting to crochet a quilt.
I've been trying to write a novel for about 5 years now, but I came up with the storyline when I was about 8, so it's really just a convoluted mix of cliches 
I'm trying to teach myself how to use 3-D design programs on the computer (anyone else out there know what blender is?  )

July 19, 2012 7:14 pm  #118

I have been following the topic, I guess  I will pipe up... I raise llamas, and spin yarn on my spinning wheel.  I am so glad to see that this group is so  warm and accepting.  I will have  to write some more  comments, however,  I really don't want "Wrong!" to keep coming up!   

July 19, 2012 8:09 pm  #119

Hey Mattlocked - that's actually really interesting, and I find the fact that you're tall really cool! Now for the burning question, how tall are you compared to Sherlock? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 19, 2012 8:13 pm  #120

Well, it's not really cool for me... and the question, my dear: I already told you. You see, but you don't observe! 

And a warm welcome to knitcat! Be sure, you aren't wrong here!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera