BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2014 3:29 pm  #341

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

Guardian

That was a very interesting perspective and the turn with the third brother was cleverly done. No wonder you did not want to have the prompt at the beginning. 
And as Solar said, this was a take on the third Holmes I have not seen anywhere else. You also had me with the title because at first I understood it as an allusion to Sherlock's deductions about Mary. Great showdown in the clock tower which Sherlock probably knew well as according to Mrs Hudson it is one of his hiding holes. 
Congrats on a highly original fic, unknown author. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 9, 2014 3:30 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 9, 2014 8:35 pm  #342

GAURDIAN

What a clever and well written story!  Hard to believe it is the author's first fic.  I was so gripped and drawn into this story, I couldn't do anything else until I finished it.  One of the many things I really was impressed by was how strong Mycroft's voice was- i recognised it before he even revealed his name.  I also loved the microphone on Sherlock's coat!  Just absolutely adored this one! I agree with La Jolie- unknown author, please write more fics!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

December 9, 2014 9:20 pm  #343

Wow, unknown author, you've done a really good job with my somewhat awkward prompt, thank you SO MUCH. I absolutely loved it and was gripped from the beginning right through to the end, especially when they got up to the clock tower.

Even though I obviously knew what the prompt was, I still didn't know that Sherrinford was going to be the psychopathic killer of the five students, so I really thought this was going to be a Dark Mycroft fic where he ended up pushing Sherlock down the stairs and killing him because he knew too much! Glad that didn't happen and the moment at the grave at the end was really heartwarming and beautiful. I love the Sherlock/Mycroft friendship.

I loved the way you wrote and constructed the case, it was genuinely interesting and I was so intrigued about why Mycroft didn't want Sherlock to investigate it.

Also, bit of a canon reference there...Three Students/Five Students. Love it.

Thanks again! :DD

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (December 9, 2014 9:21 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 10, 2014 7:58 am  #344

Schmiezi, thank you for the lovely Baker Boys. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 10, 2014 8:36 am  #345

Hurrah for the Baker boys!!!
A comment about "Guardian" will follow as soon as I was able to read it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 10, 2014 9:44 am  #346

Guardian

I find it very interesting to read a fic with Mycroft's point of view. Never had that before. And the theory about the third brother also is something special.

Love that quote about Big Ben:
"'You know what those chimes sing every quarter of an hour?'

He shook his head.

'All through this hour,
Lord be my guide,
And by Thy power,
No foot shall slide.'"

Well done, unknown author.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

December 10, 2014 9:55 am  #347

Those Baker Boys are lovely.
I see that they currently investigate the case of gingermen with missing limbs and heads... cool!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 10, 2014 12:31 pm  #348

Yes, they are  ... and they are careful with the oven as they don't want their results burnt to crisp 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 10, 2014 1:40 pm  #349

Guardian

I can´t believe that this is the first completed fanfiction of the author, it was soooo good! And yet during the reading I shivered with suspense and with a sense of foreboding due to highly chilling, ominous athosphere that was masterfully crafted here. I too was one of the people completely tricked by the clever structure of the story into belief that Mycroft would be revealed as a sinister, cruel, psychopatic mastermind at the end. Kudos to a very cunnig wording of the introductory scene which completely threw me off the right scent into the direction the author wanted, I appreciate that. I also enjoyed the way in which a tiny clues pointing at the resolution of the case were sprinkled into an innocent sounding dialogues throughout the story.

The characterisation of Holmes brothers was an absolute gem and a touch of genius! I was in stitches reading about Mycroft´s bug sewn into Sherlock´s Belstaff, Mycroft having a list of Christmas evasions and the way in which Sherlock was torturing Mycroft with inane Christmas songs. Mycroft´s cynical inner voice seemed very IC in this and so was the Sherlock´s gradual realisation that Mycroft was spying on him. Beautiful nod to Orwell with that thirteenth strike of a bell and a nod to canon with Sherrinford too.

But the thing that got to me the most was a showdown between brothers at Big Ben (or should I say Elisabeth Tower?) and the scene that followed. It wonderfully escalated the action into a scary, sinister intensity through which I was holding my breath and then, suddenly, with its surprising ending, it turned the story into a touching, tear-inducing but warm (and relieving) sea of feelings.

You should definitely write more, dear author!   

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 11, 2014 5:45 am  #350

Something Precious

Dear unknown author

A S3 fix-it fic. I cannot express how happy I am about my fic. It is everything I hoped for when writing the promot, and more. Where can I start telling you why I love it so much?

- It is so romantic. The first holing hands at the hospital bed, how much they care for each other, John sitting on the floor when Sherlock is eating, the sweet kisses ...
- The changing POV is intriguing. Using just one of their POVs would have left out too much.
- The scene at Appledore broke my heart.
- I love your Mycroft. Especially the subtle caring.
- And I love your Harry.
- The end of chapter 12 is absolutely perfect and touching and hurts in a good way.
- And the end of the fic. 'sigh'

Some of my faourite lines:
- " John has a unique way of standing aggressively."
- "And then he is there beside the sofa, on his knees, and I feel his hand on my chest, very careful and soft not to hurt me. And then suddenly he is so close that I cannot see anymore, just feel. And it is enough."
- "I can solve cases. I cannot solve what John Watson is doing to my heart."
-"I don‘t shave for Mary Watson, he thinks"

Thank you so much!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 11, 2014 10:49 am  #351

Something Precious

A precious fic indeed, dear unknown author. I love how you filled in the blank spots we were left with after S3, and what I loved even more is the fact that you turned this into a really wonderful Johnlock fic.
What you say about Mary in the very beginning - The danger she provides is deadly and destructive, not life-affirming - really says it all for me. This is what makes her so different from Sherlock, and this is why I never was happy with what Sherlock is saying to John during the scene in 221B in HLV. You fixed it - perfect! 

I'm a sucker for hurt/comfort, so I probably don't have to say how much I loved those parts of your story. 

Schmiezi has already mentioned one of my favourite lines, too:
- I can solve cases. I cannot solve what John Watson is doing to my heart.
Another one I loved very much and which made me laugh out loud:
- You have a curious mixture of personal bodyguard, annoying pain in the arse and desperately worried boyfriend out there in the hallway.
And there are many more, so I'll just leave it with that.

Thanks for this wonderfully romantic and heart-warming fic on a grey and cold Thursday morning! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 11, 2014 12:00 pm  #352

Whoa, I'm behind. I read all the fics, somehow forgot to comment. Anyway.

Nothing is going to change?
Loved the villains, especially the clever one, really frightening. 

Guardian
Now I want a drawing of the two brothers in silouette behind the clock face of Big Ben.

Something precious
Liked Mycroft and a really clever way to solve the baby issue. 

Loved the little pictures in between. 

December 11, 2014 5:07 pm  #353

Something precious

Wow, I'm done. This fic hurt and healed my heart at the same time.
Dear unknown author, you know exactly, how to get me. I love what and the way it is written. The different points of view show every feeling in this story.
And my favourite quote, as mentioned here before, is:
"I can solve cases. I cannot solve what John Watson is doing to my heart."
Something worth to put on a t-shirt ... if I'm allowed to.

(Tony Hadley)

December 12, 2014 7:28 am  #354

This is a comment from besleybean regarding today's pic. I moved it here because the other thread is just for the fics and the pictures:

For Sherlock?  "What a load of pointless tat"?!

December 12, 2014 7:29 am  #355

Sherlock's dreamy looks tell me that he is not thinking about the decoration at all. 

December 12, 2014 8:25 am  #356

Maybe he's thinking about some things he and John could do while the decoration just looks... decorative. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 12, 2014 9:04 am  #357

He thinks about ... sentiment.

(Tony Hadley)

December 12, 2014 9:06 am  #358

He thinks about... another Christmas without a John. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 12, 2014 9:13 am  #359

Mattlocked...!!!! 

December 12, 2014 9:39 am  #360

Mattlocked, what are you doing???

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera