BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2014 3:34 pm  #1

Songs that make you cry

Everyone has songs that make them cry or teary-eyed because of the lyrics or the melody.

For example, for me it is "Nightswimmg" by REM, that melody gets me every time for some reason.

Or the song "Philadelphia" by Neil Young, he wrote it for the film "Philadelphia". OMG 
The song is played when Andy (Tom Hanks) has died and all of his family and friends meet and watch old home videos of him as a child.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 7, 2014 4:01 pm  #2

Re: Songs that make you cry

There's not enough room on the internet for all the songs that make me cry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 7, 2014 4:13 pm  #3

Laurie Anderson - Strange Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQ-Al7ijk4

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 7, 2014 6:33 pm  #4

Always makes me sad

Evanescence - My immortal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

December 7, 2014 6:53 pm  #5

Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRKZFR5imM&spfreload=10

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 7, 2014 6:56 pm  #6

Just about anything by Canadian singer Sarah MacLachlan. Arms of the Angel especially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8 Also, Possession. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itydwcyywBc

If you're not depressed, just about anything by MacLachlan is guaranteed to make you suicidal. She has such a beautiful voice, but her songs tend to be so dark and depressing!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 7, 2014 10:34 pm  #7

maryagrawatson wrote:

Just about anything by Canadian singer Sarah MacLachlan. Arms of the Angel especially. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8 Also, Possession. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itydwcyywBc

If you're not depressed, just about anything by MacLachlan is guaranteed to make you suicidal. She has such a beautiful voice, but her songs tend to be so dark and depressing!

Mary

Oh I love Sarah, but yes, she will cut you deep.   I sang "I Will Remember You" at my mom's graveside service and haven't been able to listen to it again since.

A new one that rips me to pieces is "Afire with Love" by Ed Sheeren from his latest CD.  It's so beautiful but it hurts so much.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 7, 2014 11:01 pm  #8

Almost every song of the French singer Mylene Farmer is able to cast you into a clinical depression. But this song takes the cake both for the melancholy and for the beauty. She describes a suicide of a loved one in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCu3H-hymk8

Si J'avais Au Moins Revu Ton Visage (If I only saw your face again)

Qui n’a connu / He who never knew
Douleur immense / immense pain
N’aura qu’un aperçu / would never have more but a draft
Du temps / of time -
L’aiguille lente / that needle that stabs slowly…
Qu’il neige ou vente / No matter if it snows or rains,
L’omniprésente / that which is omnipresent
Souligne ton absence / only underlines your absence
Partout / everywhere.

Qui n’a connu / He who never knew
L’instable règne / unstable reign,
Qui n’a perdu / he who never went through a loss -
Ne sait la peine / he doesn´t know sorrow
Plus de réserve, du tout / without reserves, at all,
Ni dieu, ni haine, s’en fout / nor God, nor hatred, it doesn´t matter…
Plus de superbe, j’ai tout / I more and more gain everything
D’une peine… / just from the sorrows…
Un enténèbrement / from falling into darkness.

Si j’avais au moins revu ton visage / If I only saw your face again,
Entrevu au loin le moindre nuage / could glimpse the beginning of clouds far away…
Mais c’est à ceux qui se lèvent / But this belong only to those who raise themselves
Qu’on somme « d’espoir » / when one summons hope
Dont on dit qu’ils saignent / which is mentioned when one bleeds…
Sans un au revoir, de croire / To believe, without saying „goodbye“.

Et moi pourquoi j’existe quand l’autre dit je meurs / And me, why do I exist when the others say I´m dying?
Pourquoi plus rien n’agite ton cœur … / Why nothing more troubles your heart…?

Tous mes démons / All of my demons
Les plus hostiles / most hostile
Brisent les voix / break off the voice,
Les plus fragiles / the most fragile
De tous mes anges / of my angels
Les plus dévoués / are the most devout….
Et moi l’étrange paumée / And I, the strange wreck,
Fiancée à l’enténèbrement… / I´m betrothed to the darkness.

Si j’avais au moins revu ton visage / If I only saw your face again,
Entrevu au loin le moindre nuage / could glimpse the beginning of clouds far away…
Mais c’est à ceux qui se lèvent / But this belong only to those who raise themselves
Qu’on somme « d’espoir » / when one summons hope
Dont on dit qu’ils saignent / which is mentioned when one bleeds…
Sans un au revoir, de croire / To believe, without saying „goodbye“.

Et moi pourquoi j’existe quand l’autre dit je meurs / And me, why do I exist when the others say I´m dying?
Pourquoi plus rien n’agite ton cœur … / Why nothing more troubles your heart…?

Last edited by nakahara (December 7, 2014 11:10 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 7, 2014 11:13 pm  #9

tonnaree wrote:

Oh I love Sarah, but yes, she will cut you deep.   I sang "I Will Remember You" at my mom's graveside service and haven't been able to listen to it again since.

That was the last song my ex-fiancé and I danced to after we agreed to go our separate ways some months after his brother's suicide. I haven't sat through it since that night. You're not the only person I know for whom that song marks a profound emotional moment. I'm sorry for your loss.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 8, 2014 1:17 am  #10

Lots and lots of songs can make me cry... even songs that seem unlikely 

My guy has a habit of finding songs that seem to be exactly about me, and they always make me weep... it's so strange. 

I remember a few songs that has made me cry like a baby the first time I heard them and they still make me sob.

'Father In You' by Mary J. Blige... (I never knew my father and at the time I heard it I was having a really hard time with it)

'F*cking Perfect' by P!nk (practically the video is my life's story)
(I won't post the video as it may be triggering...)

'Beam Me Up' by P!nk (I heard it when dealing with a lot of deaths)

Pink has always had an ability to tell my story... it's so strange... 

Don't Jump' by Tokio Hotel (from my depressed Emo teen days...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTwYdiuQa34

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (December 8, 2014 1:18 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 8, 2014 8:14 am  #11

Oh, no kidding on the McLachlan and R.E.M. swirling you up!  Ditto on Sarah's "Angel" and R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts".  So many songs that very deeply nudge or can feel the weight of beautiful melancholy with (especially various instrumental/classical pieces), ooh.. and can't forget Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" for feels like that, but not too many I've actually teared up for, and very much correspond to mood or a moment of the time. 

I'd like to throw in "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls, "Crash and Burn" and "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden, "I'll Be Okay" by Amanda Marshall, and "Don't Cry" by Seal (yes, the irony ;D)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 8, 2014 8:17 am  #12

Ivy, "Nightswimming" is wonderful...! 

And like most of you have already said, there are far too many songs out there that can make me cry in an instant.
A pretty obvious choice probably is Coldplay's "Fix you". 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbJuEFs7-kU

And lots of songs by "Elbow", like for example these two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdqToKw2ueE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipaDJq7XCSM

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 8, 2014 9:08 am  #13

MartaSt wrote:

Always makes me sad

Evanescence - My immortal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

oh yes, especially the unplugged version

SolarSystem wrote:

A pretty obvious choice probably is Coldplay's "Fix you". 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbJuEFs7-kU 

Absolutely, I love the live version when all the fans sing the last line "Lights will guide you home and ignite your bones and i will try to fix you"

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

'F*cking Perfect' by P!nk (practically the video is my life's story)
Pink has always had an ability to tell my story... it's so strange... 

P!NK is a great songwriter and a very honest one, I like "F***ing Perfect a lot, too.

----------

December 8, 2014 4:31 pm  #14

I have to agree with Russsel on "Iris."   That song connects me to a deeply emotional period in mh life and it always gets me.  Saw GooGoo Dolls live last year and I ended up on the grass at the venue just sobbing.  Good think it was dark.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 8, 2014 5:27 pm  #15

It's certainly stupid but because it's the time now.
"Do they know it's Christmas?" the original version, I have to swallow when it comes to this line."And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life". Always.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 8, 2014 5:42 pm  #16

I love "Do they know it's christmas" too, gently (the original version)  Also a great line is "Well, tonight, thank God it's them instead of you" or "There's a world outside your window, and it's a world of dread and fear "

----------

December 8, 2014 5:42 pm  #17

Snow Patrol...Run.
Mainly because it was what was played on Radio 1 after it was announced John Peel had died

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2014 7:09 pm  #18

I have to agree about 'Iris'

And 'Wild World' by Cat Stevens 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (December 8, 2014 7:11 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 8, 2014 7:55 pm  #19

tonnaree - Yes.   Admit at first felt awkward, but with some amusement, to reflect that I see these 'sad' songs listed that fit the bill in a classically 'soft/sad tune' kind of way… and racking my brain for ones that teared me up, they're all more… not 'bouncy', but strongly rhythmic or 'loud'?  Heh.  It's the melancholy and depth of emotion the song speaks about, plus the pulse of it, that gets me more…  'Iris' really hits that, doesn't it?
Although the same can be said for some deeply beautiful instrumental… I remember thinking it was sweet my pianist friend said Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, Op. 11 always makes her cry.  It really is beautiful, if you haven't heard it.  Which also reminds me of the feels I always get with a similar swell of notes in 'Le Halelela', a song inspired by the Lion King (and a version of it is in the musical) --

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 8, 2014 7:58 pm  #20

Russell wrote:

tonnaree - Yes. Admit at first felt awkward, but with some amusement, to reflect that I see these 'sad' songs listed that fit the bill in a classically 'soft/sad tune' kind of way… and racking my brain for ones that teared me up, they're all more… not 'bouncy', but strongly rhythmic or 'loud'? Heh. It's the melancholy and depth of emotion the song speaks about, plus the pulse of it, that gets me more… 'Iris' really hits that, doesn't it?
Although the same can be said for some deeply beautiful instrumental… I remember thinking it was sweet my pianist friend said Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, Op. 11 always makes her cry. It really is beautiful, if you haven't heard it. Which also reminds me of the feels I always get with a similar swell of notes in 'Le Halelela', a song inspired by the Lion King (and a version of it is in the musical) --

All true Russell.  It's not necessarily the lyrics that make you cry.  There is a very happy song from my childhood that makes me cry now because it reminds me of things that are lost and can never be found again.

If Adagio for Strings doesn't make you cry you are not human.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera