BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2014 10:40 pm  #21

Re: Doctor Strange (spoilers)

I was really excited to read that it's official now. I like all these movies. I'm sure Benedict will do a great job. And why not make a movie that gets this much attention? He's known for choosing his roles carefully. He knows what he does, and if this is what he wants to do: fine! And maybe some of his other projects will get more attention.

Last edited by Miss Sherlock Watson (December 6, 2014 11:23 pm)

"It's this - or Cluedo."
"No! We are never playing that again!"
"Why not?"
"Because it is not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock! That's why."
"It was the only possible solution!"
"It's not in the rules."
"Then the rules are wrong!"

December 6, 2014 5:15 pm  #22

Yay! I saw this on Facebook yesterday... before my mum apparently read about it on the text-tv thing and all excitedly told me...

I can't wait! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 7, 2014 2:34 am  #23

Both EW and MTV want everyone to realize that Benedict as Doctor Strange is awesomeness: 

4 reasons why Benedict Cumberbatch is a perfect Doctor Strange (EW) 

Benedict Cumberbatch Is Doctor Strange: 9 Reasons To Celebrate This Magical Casting (MTV) 

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 7, 2014 5:11 pm  #24

Oh, Benedict Cumberbatch as an arrogant hero who will do absolutely everything to save the world.. It's Christmas!

December 7, 2014 5:14 pm  #25

Tee Hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2014 10:37 am  #26

Dr. Strange, the trailer:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 8, 2014 6:44 pm  #27

Surprise! Benedict is pleased and excited to be cast as Doctor Strange:

ComicBook.com
MTV
EntertainmentWise

(There are more, but they say the same thing.)

And then there's this video (also found on the pages of several of the links). It's at BIFA, and he starts talking about the Variety award he got, but Hey U Guys (and the links above) focus on the Doctor Strange thing:

Last edited by REReader (December 8, 2014 6:47 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 9, 2014 7:25 pm  #28

This is definitely going to be cool to watch.  Already liking how Marvel's branching out their line-up, and like those articles said, perfect for the kind of personality's he's good at.  May need to brush up on that character's history.  Now he can stop being all mysterious about the (one of many) rumors, yes?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 9, 2014 10:50 pm  #29

I will have to ask some of the geeks from my group tomorrow... Most of the guys are comic nerds... 

I knew being a geek would come in handy 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 5, 2015 12:59 pm  #30

REReader wrote:

Both EW and MTV want everyone to realize that Benedict as Doctor Strange is awesomeness: 

4 reasons why Benedict Cumberbatch is a perfect Doctor Strange (EW) 

Benedict Cumberbatch Is Doctor Strange: 9 Reasons To Celebrate This Magical Casting (MTV) 

And in a very similar vein:

Doctor Strange: 10 Reasons Benedict Cumberbatch Is Perfect

Last edited by ukaunz (March 5, 2015 1:02 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 6, 2015 4:46 am  #31

ukaunz wrote:

And in a very similar vein:

Doctor Strange: 10 Reasons Benedict Cumberbatch Is Perfect

But of course he is….  just look at him..!  0:-)

(yes, yes, I know… old pic and arrogant intelligence, gravitas, and depth with the mystique not pictured.)     

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 6, 2015 9:16 pm  #32

It's an interesting career progression..

First Sherlock, then Khan, and now Dr. Strange. It's like Zoe Saldana, who went from Avatar, to Star Trek, to Guardians of the Galaxy.  

I guess Benedict is the actor to go to if you want someone to play a quirky, arrogant character.  I don't know if that is good or bad.

The other day I was watching a film review show, and the critics were discussing the Oscars, and one of them said that you sort of knew what you were going to get with Benedict Cumberbatch. Hs performances were great, but it was sort of always the same.  I don't agree with that, but I can see how doing certain type of roles again and again can typcast you.

Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing him in the role.

March 6, 2015 9:46 pm  #33

kaye wrote:

The other day I was watching a film review show, and the critics were discussing the Oscars, and one of them said that you sort of knew what you were going to get with Benedict Cumberbatch. Hs performances were great, but it was sort of always the same.  I don't agree with that, but I can see how doing certain type of roles again and again can typcast you.

Well, if you only look at the surface, it might seem that he tends to play certain types of roles again and again, but look a little closer and you'll see that it's just not true.
Just take his 'arrogant characters' that get quoted so often. So, they're all arrogant to a certain degree: Sherlock, Alan Turing, Julian Assange, Khan, Christopher Tietjens, Bernard ("Small Island"), Paul Marshall... but is that all? They aren't just all arrogant, are they? There is so much more to every single one of those characters, they are arrogant and lots of other different things, as well. And it's Benedict's tremendous talent that makes arrogance look so different with each of these roles... Sherlock and Alan for example, yes, they both are arrogant, but not in the exact same way, right?
In my opinion you're always in for something different when you watch a film with Benedict. Although one thing always stays the same: that he'll be giving a brilliant performance.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 6, 2015 9:56 pm  #34

I agree, Solar. And there is Little Charles and the Creature and Christopher Tietjens and James …

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2015 12:42 am  #35

They see but they do not observe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 7, 2015 4:51 am  #36

I am just saying that I don't think Dr. Strange is a role that will get an Oscar nomination.  I just found out Eddie Redmayne is in another role that has Oscar written all over it - he plays a transgender woman:
https://ph.news.yahoo.com/eddie-redmayne-gunning-second-oscar-061400134.html

you gotta admit - he looks pretty stunning!  These are the types of roles that generate serious Oscar talk.  Ben used to do roles like that early in his career - Steven Hawking, Vincent Van Gogh, etc.  I am not saying Ben should dress like a woman, I am just saying that aside from Turing, he has had mostly bit, supporting parts in major movies, and major parts in Trek and now Dr. Strange. 

Last edited by kaye (March 7, 2015 4:52 am)

March 7, 2015 8:43 am  #37

But if you look at the number of new released films against the number of rewards that surely doesn't mean only the rewarded movies are worth the attention? I would be disappointed in an actor whose only point in selecting his parts would be how many awards he can gain.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 7, 2015 11:03 am  #38

It is a simple fact that Benedict has not played in many films. Full stop. He did most of his (brilliant) work for television. There are only two feature films with him in the lead - TFE and TIG. The parts kaye has mentioned were all for television. 

And I really would not like him to choose "showy" parts just for the sake of getting awards. I think he will do so if he is really interested and that part is offered to him but to try and get the attention of juries at any price does not seem to be his way of doing things. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 7, 2015 11:04 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 7, 2015 11:58 am  #39

I agree, Susi. And seriously, there will always be other actors who play parts with 'award potential' while Benedict might chose roles which don't. So what? They can still be good, interesting, entertaining roles. And if Eddie should get a second Oscar next year for that role, then so be it. That says nothing, absolutely nothing about Benedict's talent. He might grow old and grey without ever winning an Oscar, this has happened to lots of other (brilliant) actors before.
And let's be honest, we will see Benedict in "Hamlet" and "The Hollow Crown" and "Sherlock" next, which will be wonderful. And which won't win him an Oscar (or any other movie award for that matter), simply because it's theatre and tv. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 7, 2015 11:59 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 8, 2015 8:46 am  #40

Benedict can do much more than the arrogant, hyper intelligent type of guy. I cry every time I see Third star (nobody mentioned it here, so I have to). I was blown away by his performance in Frankenstein - both parts. He was so wonderful in Osage County though it was only a small role. And he adds so much humanity and vulnerabilty to Alan Turing an Khan... So I'm sure he will do a good performance as Dr. Strange!

"It's this - or Cluedo."
"No! We are never playing that again!"
"Why not?"
"Because it is not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock! That's why."
"It was the only possible solution!"
"It's not in the rules."
"Then the rules are wrong!"

Board footera