BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2014 1:52 pm  #321

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

mrshouse wrote:

I would like to know btw if it's only tradition in Germany that Santa Claus fills the stockings on the 6th of December.

I thought it was shoes/boots in Germany and stockings in the UK/US?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

December 6, 2014 2:59 pm  #322

No stockings here either. We put presents under the tree and we don't get the tree but after St. Nicolas which is the fifth of December. We do something similar with shoes for St. Nicolas, we put them near the fireplace for the helpers to come in and we put a carrot in it for the horse. 

December 6, 2014 8:58 pm  #323

Bump in the night

Wow, what a story! Incredibly engaging and masterfully written. It´s so gripping, it simply sucks you in at the very beginning and holds you to the very last sentence. I absolutely loved the characterisation of Harry, John´s sister, which was realistic and amusing at the same time. If slightly mythical Harry was ever destined to appear in BBC Sherlock, I´d wish she resembled this Harry. Clara and John were fantastic too and it was nice to see how the story didn´t introduced all about them and Harry at once, but more elements about their past and about their persons were added gradually, thus creating an atmosphere of depth and seriousness about them. Really great.

I was very impressed how nothing really scary appeared in the narration and yet from the moment the characters entered 221B Baker Street, an aura of something mysterious and other-wordly started to permeat the text. Arthur Conan Doyle, an awoved spiritualist, would have clapped if he read this, I believe. Then this dark tale suddenly changed into classical Sherlock story with amazing lightness and in a very natural manner and I immediately got the same sense of the beginning of great friendship as I got from the original. That all was then crowned with a wonderful ending that at the same moment opened the possibility for new exciting stories of our strange pair of detectives. And that touch with the Morse code was just lovely. I raise my glass to you, unknown author.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 7, 2014 9:12 am  #324

My dear unknown author, I just saw that it's my turn today, yay!!! Just wanted to let you know that I'm on call today and I'm not sure if I have the proper time to read it till tonight, I want to enjoy it after all! And furthermore forgot to recharge my mobile, so I just hope it will survive till I come home tonight....

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 7, 2014 10:48 am  #325

Nothing's going to change?

"He could see that John was bleeding. This damned fucking arsehole shot John in his leg."
Dear unknown author, that's the spirit! This line made me laugh - and at the same time I just thought 'Oh Sherlock, yes, and you wouldn't let anyone do this to John Watson, right?'.
I love how you went from domestic bliss to a case fic and then back again - and what a romantic ending you gave us! You leave lots of things between Sherlock and John unsaid and for your readers to fantasize about - that's great. And it was fantastic to see Sherlock worry about John so much. And then of course in the bank you have Sherlock standing real close to John and touch his leg... just a little detail but soooo powerful.
Great work!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 7, 2014 11:03 am  #326

Nothing’s going to change?

I really love the combination of action-filled case fic and romance. The idea with the Celtic amulet was lovely and creates a nice frame for the robbery story. And to have Sherlock realise his feelings in this situation, going head over heels into the bank and then going clear-headed again and solving the situation together with John is what I hope to get in the future. The boys being in love and yet being able to do their work. 
Thank you, unknown author, for a lovely Sunday morning read. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 7, 2014 11:36 am  #327

NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE?
Loved the characterisation of Sherlock in this one, and the use of drama to bring out the hidden feelings. Great read!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

December 7, 2014 10:33 pm  #328

NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE?

Dear unknown author, thank you very much for a wonderful read after a tiresome weekend shift! What a nice embedding of the story with the Celtic amulet as a token of their growing and developing feelings. I have a very weak spot for fictions where the two of them slowly, slowly realize their feelings. And since you handled the emotions very carefully and subtle it is absolutely in character that us - the fierce creatures - don't witness their first kiss first hand.
And what a difference in setting and character painting in the hostage situation! Both in spoken language  as well as in your descriptions of persons and the situation everybody finds himself in, it differed between the branch bank and Baker street. Altogether I want a bit of that in S 4, the two of them just realizing that they are and will stay the most important person in each others life. And yes, please, with a bit of suspense to help them...
So, thank you again and kudos to you, my dear unknown author.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 8, 2014 8:31 am  #329

And Santa's little helpers have done it again. Cracked me up! Thanks guys!

NOTHING'S GOING TO CHANGE

Wow, that was gooooood. Nerve-wracking! I think I gulped  when one of the robbers told John he knew he'd texted Sherlock for help... and the moment John looked up at the robber that had just come back from the toilet and he realised... brilliant!

Loved the combination of casefic/action and H/C with subtle Johnlock. And I love the fact that the kiss happens off-screen!

John and Sherlock were totally IC, I thought - John with his famous nerves of steel, trying to work out a solution even under threat of death, and Sherlock going totally monosyllabic and single-minded while planning the rescue. Loved how he kicked the policemen out of their own van!  And then John giving him that idea about the window. I love a John who's more than just an admiring bystander!

It was unusual, by the way, to have Sherlock sitting around for quite a while, unable to do anything to help John, but I totally buy that it was exactly what made him realise his feelings for him so clearly. Every time in the show, so far, when John's been in danger and Sherlock was rushing to his rescue, Sherlock never had a quiet minute to actually think about what he was feeling at the time. Nice to see that in this story!

There are so many little bits of humour in this, too, that I love -

"Feel free to do the dishes" - because it REALLY isn't John all the time who does them, is it?

"Since the ATM hadn't addressed him by name and Mycroft's car was nowhere to be seen, he decided it was for real...."

"Even Mycroft had shown up, probably only to update his files on the attendees with personal information."

Sherlock at uni attending parties only in order to study the effect of alcohol on people...

Lovely little gems, all of those!

Well done, unknown author! Well done indeed!

P. S. By the way - what was the prompt!?

December 8, 2014 8:47 am  #330

The prompt is shown at the beginning of the post.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 8, 2014 9:01 am  #331

SusiGo wrote:

The prompt is shown at the beginning of the post.

Ah. I didn't get that the summary WAS the prompt. Silly me!

December 8, 2014 3:04 pm  #332

That little "in between thing" again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 8, 2014 3:21 pm  #333

Nothing´s going to change?

There´s nothing better on a cold nasty day than a good Sherlock case-fic with the nice touches of canonical „Three Garridebs“ and Johnlock in it. I very much loved how the characters were defined by the dialogues and by their actions in this one and not by the lengty desciptions, yet you could always picture them in your head as if they were parading in front of our eyes. The story had a ingenious structure – the part concerning action was written in a way that really gave you an idea of a frantic, short-on-time, adrenaline filled drama, while the conteplative part at the end wonderfully conveyed Sherlock´s relief and post-case assesment of the situation. It was also quite nice to read, it flowed effortlessly from one scene to another and I liked the plot involving bank robbery and John being caught in the middle of it. Oh, the feels – you could literally sense Sherlock´s anguish between the lines. My only minor quip is that Lestrade allowed Sherlock inside the bank too easily (his superiors would have his head if Sherlock´s interference caused some trouble inside the bank, so it was a bit weird). On the other hand, it´s obvious no force on Earth would hold Sherlock back when John was n danger, so it didn´t bother me a lot.

And the end with John´s clever „proposal“ was just magnificent. The description of the fleeting kiss and the inconspicious way in which Johnlock was taking place in the story felt very warm-hearted and real and quite charmed me. It definitely made me feel good today.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 8, 2014 6:02 pm  #334

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Santa Schmiezies little in-betweens? Hilarious, especially Sherlock's considering face

December 8, 2014 6:06 pm  #335

AGREE, LOLOLOLOL

Last edited by Harriet (December 8, 2014 6:08 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 8, 2014 8:48 pm  #336

mrshouse wrote:

especially Sherlock's considering face

I thought so, too! Do those wonderful people that make all those gems all have a screenshot database arranged by "facial expression", or how do they always find this stuff?

Nakahara, that was another lovely review.

Harriet, I think I just noted that bit about "apparently" in your sig for the first time (the pink bit!). Cracked me up. Fantastic.

December 8, 2014 9:16 pm  #337

Thanks, dear. I keep changing the first part and this one is rather new 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 9, 2014 9:12 am  #338

Guardian
I loved this one very much! What a wonderful and interesting new perspective, a whole fan fic from Mycroft's point of view, there is not too much of that out there in the fanon world. I was hooked by the sentence of "My name is Mycroft Holmes...". His characterisation was forceful and consistent throughout the whole story, a little gem for the fans of Mycroft and the interaction with his stubborn little brother. I loved the twist, that of course you believe till the very end that the murder will include somebody else... As a London fan I enjoyed the final encountering in the tower of Big Bens. And after all a hopefull and warm ending.
I raise my glass to you, thank you, unknown author!

December 9, 2014 10:16 am  #339

GUARDIAN

Oh. my. God.
That was mindbogglingly good. I find it completely unbelievable that this should be the first fic you ever wrote, or finished, dear unknown author. Really? If yes, I hope this will be only the first of many, many, many more!!!

That WAS Mycroft speaking, in every line. I've never yet seen him so well done in fic. There are too many great lines to quote them all here, but literally everything he says, from his opinion on the celebration of births (and he doesn't even know or care about the name and gender of the Watson's child!) to Christmas traditions to saving the world, and what it sometimes takes to do it, was completely and utterly and chillingly IC, I thought. Same goes for the Holmes brothers relationship.

Loved the little dig at the Mystrade shippers, too. Because, really...

The story is very ingeniously plotted, too, I thought, completely logical as well as very original and totally unpredictable in its outcome.

You're probably interested in whether the "I killed my brother" line works on your readers - it worked perfectly on me. I read that whole story holding my breath because I totally fell into the trap of thinking of quite another victim, too. When we got to Big Ben (which is a fantastic scene, with the clock striking thirteen and Mycroft and Sherlock in the tower and Sherlock yelling up at him and then their silhouettes being visible from the outside... goosebumps all over!) where was I? Right, when we got to Big Ben, I totally expected someone to take another spectacular fall... I'm so glad I was wrong! And I was so glad that the story even ended on a conciliatory note. Nice to see Mycroft realise that some painful secrets are easier to bear when shared!

So, to conclude, if this really was your first foray into fanfic, you've GOT to write more.

I'm astounded that we're getting so much good casefic here, by the way - I've always thought it was the most difficult of all genres to write. It's fantastic how many of our participants have a real talent for this!

Last edited by La Jolie (December 9, 2014 12:19 pm)

December 9, 2014 11:31 am  #340

Guardian

That was a very convincing fic! I'm usually not into fics about Mycroft at all, so it was nice to read a fic in which he takes on such a prominent role. I also liked that it was written from his point of view (although I believe that there are some scenes during which it doesn't work completely...).
One of my favourite quotes would have to be "I silently congratulated myself for belonging to a club where no one is allowed to talk" - this is so wonderfully Mycroft!
What you came up with about the other brother also was very convincing and so different from all the fandom theories I read about him so far.

Last edited by SolarSystem (December 9, 2014 11:31 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera