BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2014 11:29 am  #301

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

All thanks for pics and jokes between fics go straight to Santa's Little Helpers. I'm only posting them. :-D

I love little John BTW. Don't they look happy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 4, 2014 11:39 am  #302

Thanks Santa's little helpers .

And thanks Nakahara for the reference. It was definately not a coincidence then, our dear anonymous writer knows the canon. Nice touch. There's something of an artistic thingy in Benedict's Sherlock, don't you think? Some artists are a bit Sherlock-like. 

December 4, 2014 12:20 pm  #303

Sherlock and his John are sooo adorable - and does John have dark blue eyes now? 
What a lovely greeting picture!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 4, 2014 12:23 pm  #304

It´s heartwarming to know that little Crochet Sherlock had finally found his little Crochet John.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 4, 2014 3:16 pm  #305

silverblaze wrote:

There's something of an artistic thingy in Benedict's Sherlock, don't you think? Some artists are a bit Sherlock-like. 

Many artists are like that, I believe. And Sherlock himself is an artist - talented violinist.

The Taste of Cornish Wines

Writing Sherlock´s case-fics and successfully managing to describe the mystery and Sherlock´s deductions is probably the hardest task a fanfic writer can take upon him-or-herself. But this story nicely achieved that and at the same time managed to blend the mystery with the sad, emotional story in such a manner that it literally squeezed my heart (I so hope John wouldn´t be afflicted with such pain in S4! It would be unbearable to watch!). Beautiful touches such as canon nods and "a cleverly hidden cat" just contributed to the strong impression this fic has left on me. A very nice contribution to this year´s exchange, indeed.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 4, 2014 8:53 pm  #306

nakahara wrote:

And Sherlock himself is an artist - talented violinist. 

It's not just the violin - it's the brilliant acting as well (Sherlock's, not Benedict's, in this case!). And I tend to think that the kind of genius that is required for the deductions is of a very creative sort, too. There's definitely more to it than "just" being good at chess or having lots of factual information stowed away in your brain.

I really liked the nod to ACD in "Cornish wines", too, with the French grand-mere!

And Nakahara, can I just say that I love your reviews? They're so thoughtful and so well expressed. It's the sort of feedback that every writer dreams of! It's lovely to have you on board for this.

Last edited by La Jolie (December 4, 2014 8:56 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

December 4, 2014 9:07 pm  #307

Oh, thank you, La Jolie, you flatter me so much. 
I like to read a good Sherlock fics so the pleasure is entirely on my side - I love to read this year´s exchanges, they are so delightful. 

And you are right, entire Sherlock´s personality gives out a strong artistic vibe. Moftiss are very consistent with the canon concerning that trait of his. 

December 4, 2014 10:32 pm  #308

La Jolie wrote:

nakahara wrote:

And Sherlock himself is an artist - talented violinist. 

I really liked the nod to ACD in "Cornish wines", too

What was the ACD nod in Cornish wines? Must have missed that one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 4, 2014 10:41 pm  #309

@ SherlockHolmes: the French grandmother is a nod to the fact that canon Holmes had a French grandmother. 

@ Nakahara: it's my suspicion that it was more a Benedict addition, rather than a Moftiss addition. Apparantly Moffat doesn't really do backstories, so Benedict had a lot of influence on that. 

December 5, 2014 8:19 am  #310

Sorry Boss, I edited my post accordingly. What Silverblaze said.

OK, I'm an early bird today -

BUMP IN THE NIGHT

Aaaaaaaargh!!!!!
WTF?????
How crazy was that? I think I have more questions about this than actual comments. What a weird, weird, weird  story. But strangely engaging as well. Once we'd got to the door of 221B, I just couldn't stop reading.

"King's or Imperial?" cracked me up, and so did "Holmes of Bletchley Park" - loved the Enigma reference!

I'm not sure how this ties in with canon, if at all - probably not - but I love all the little bits that we know are a part of adult John that are already there in the teenage John. The scientific approach, the fact that he is certain he wants to be a doctor as well as a soldier (LOVE that bit where his hand goes to "where his gun will be one day"), his loyalty (to his sister, in this case), how he's not one to dodge a fight if he thinks it's for a good cause, and how cool he is even in spooky and strange situations. And the morse code at the end.

Well done, unknown author!

Last edited by La Jolie (December 5, 2014 8:22 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

December 5, 2014 9:01 am  #311

Bump in the night

Oh, I loved this one! It gave me goosebumps and I like goosebumps very much from time to time! And I was hooked although I'm neither into teenlock nor AU, but that was a wonderful new interpretation of John's and Sherlock's first meeting and their immediate deep bonding. Some of my favourite quotes from the show in a whole new setting. And it furthermore reminded me again how much I would love to see Harry introduced in the show.
Very nice nods to TIG, loved that, too.
Thank you very much, unknown author!

Last edited by mrshouse (December 5, 2014 9:04 am)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 5, 2014 9:48 am  #312

Bump in the night

Haha, Sherlock is a ghost, brilliant! What an original idea. Loved the skull and the TIG references. And Clara Oswald. 

December 5, 2014 10:13 am  #313

Bump in the night

Oh, I love this one! Such an imaginative story and all the allusions to Alan Turing, Bletchley Park, Dr Who, etc. A real feel-good story. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 5, 2014 1:00 pm  #314

Bump in the Night

That was... amazing. Wow, really quite amazing! It begins with Clara Oswald and ends with how wonderfully you, dear author, incorporated all those quotes we know and love into your story. The conversation between Sherlock and John really gave me a warm feeling inside... beautiful!
There is something so tragic about your story, because in your universe Sherlock and John as we know them will never actually meet... But I would love to read more about them and the conversations they might have in the future.
And let me just say that I usually don't care for TeenLock or any AU fics... but this one was something remarkably different.

Last edited by SolarSystem (December 5, 2014 1:02 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 5, 2014 3:37 pm  #315

Bump in the Night
I'd like to join the opinions so far. I'm absolutely impressed by this fic. I just love the idea and the way it is written. And all these connections ... Turing ... Doctor Who ... wow!
Congrats to the author.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 5, 2014 7:06 pm  #316

BUMP IN THE NIGHT
Dear KK
I can't explain how perfect your story was for me! I loved its originality and quirkiness and without knowing me you tapped into some of my other interests and passions- I love well written AU, teenlock and all things paranormal - in fact reading it through I started to think you must be psychic !
I just adored this story! it's not that often I read a fic and I think gee I think I would like to read a whole 100 000 words more of this one, but for yours I did.
Congratulations KK great work out of what I know was a demanding prompt xxx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

December 6, 2014 10:46 am  #317

Aaawww, that is lovely, Schmiezi...
I do hope crotchet Sherlock got something nice for himself today...
I would like to know btw if it's only tradition in Germany that Santa Claus fills the stockings on the 6th of December.

Last edited by mrshouse (December 6, 2014 10:50 am)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 6, 2014 11:02 am  #318

Well, no stockings in Slovakia, but Santa Claus indeed gives present to children and many adults today. Mostly chocolates and sweet-meats. 

December 6, 2014 11:14 am  #319

Schmiezi, those pics for the non-fic days are such a lovely idea. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2014 11:46 am  #320

Gorgeous...! So John is already inside and waiting for Sherlock to join him...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera