BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2012 5:54 am  #1

Happy 65th Birthday to a genius

Dr Brian Harold May, CBE was born 19th July 1947.
And aren't we forever grateful he was?!

And now my pictorial tribute to an outstanding man in every aspect.[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Brian_May_filming_for_the_BBC's_'The_One_Show'.jpg/220px-Brian_May_filming_for_the_BBC's_'The_One_Show'.jpg[/img]

Bri playing "God Save the Queen" on the top of Buckingham Palace during the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2002

My Favourite shot of Bri:Brian & his Wife, Anita Dobson

With his very special friend, Freddie

His "Best Friend" - The Red Special, Bri & his dad made this guitar at home:
His guitar was made with his father as a teenager. Beginning in August 1963. The Red Special is also called by another name: Fireplace or The Old Lady.
A guitar that would define May's signature style, the Red Special was purposely designed to feed back. May has used it on Queen albums and in live performances since the late 1960s. The name Red Special came from the reddish-brown colour the guitar attained after being stained and painted with numerous layers of Rustins' plastic coating. The name Fireplace is a reference to the fact that the wood used to make the neck came from a fireplace mantel. The tremolo system is made from an old hardened-steel knife-edge shaped into a V and two motorbike valve springs to counter the string tension.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 19, 2012 6:44 am  #2

Re: Happy 65th Birthday to a genius

He doesn't really look like a pensioner, does he?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 19, 2012 8:09 am  #3

Well, Happy birthday for you too, Brian. Best guitar player ever (in my opinion, of course, and closely followed by some other great ones).

And here one of my favourite May's songs

Last edited by Irene Adler (July 19, 2012 8:11 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 19, 2012 8:21 am  #4

Ahh yes, the exact one I was about to post Irene.

Brian wrote it after watching a first run of the Highlander as Queen was doing the soundtrack for it:
[The film is] about a man who becomes conscious that he's immortal, and he's reluctant to accept that fact, but he's told that if he falls in love he's in big trouble, but of course he falls in love anyway. And the girl that he falls in love with eventually grows old and dies in his arms, and that kind of opened up a floodgate in me – I was dealing with a lot of tragedies in my life: the death of my father, the death of my marriage, and so forth. I could immediately hear this 'Who Wants To Live Forever' in my head, and it was almost complete in the car going home – I remember singing it to my manager as he drove me home, and he was pretty surprised. He said, 'Where did that come from?' and I said, 'I don't even know."

I adore this song; when I drive to see my daughter, I travel up a very steep but beautiful mountain range. The scenery is all rainforest & beauty & I play this as loud as I can.

Mini Quiz : (he he)
"Who Wants To Live Forever" also features the most under rated voice of the group, the 5th member of the group. This voice has been on nearly every song they recorded.  This voice is very narrative, you can tell what feelings are going on in the song just by listening. It can make you cry or it can make you happy; it tells you when the feelings are changing & being uplifted. This voice sings without words. Whose voice am I talking about?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 19, 2012 8:26 am  #5

I just fell in love with another picture.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 19, 2012 1:40 pm  #6

I just uploaded Brian's last week's Hammersmith solo.
It's such a joy to see our today's birthday boy in noisy action…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeDEsRb9_dc

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 19, 2012 2:11 pm  #7

OMG, I always adore that one. He looks so damned busy throughout; and everytime I think 'uh ho, something's gone wrong' because he gets this serious, concerned look on his face. i think it comes from watching the Montreal one too often, where something DID go wrong, lol.

But you can tell, he loves that piece of music, and Red sings it so well.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 19, 2012 2:55 pm  #8

Many happy turns of the day to Brian.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera