BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2014 8:32 am  #281

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2014

The taste of Cornish wines

So many feelings, cleverly interwoven with a case fic. A really sad story with a very comforting and hopeful ending. My favourite quote: 

"What if this will never feel like before again? Living here, Sherlock, living with you, at Baker Street?" "I will have you anyway" answered Sherlock quietly. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 3, 2014 10:02 am  #282

The taste of Cornish wines

Awww.... little Willie's death made me tear up.
I liked the atmosphere of autumnal Cornwall - made me want to go there right away.
Well done for making this a bit of a casefic as well! Poor Mary. Poor John. Poor everyone!!! So much angst.
And either you, unknown author, are a true connoisseur or you did a hell of a lot of research on wine for this. Either way, well done!

P. S. Ssssh, Schmiezi - the formatting is off...

Last edited by La Jolie (December 3, 2014 10:03 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

December 3, 2014 10:14 am  #283

A taste of Cornish wines

So.... where's the cat?

Nice story, loved the beginning and the fact that it was then explained in a flashback. It really makes you wonder WTF has happened. Poor John and poor Mary though. I can totally see Moftiss pulling something as evil as that. ;) Pity about the formatting, surely it'd been even better with proper line breaks but we know what was meant. 

Last edited by silverblaze (December 3, 2014 10:15 am)

December 3, 2014 10:30 am  #284

The Taste of Cornish Wines

Where's the cat, indeed? 

I'm not a fan of Mary (as most of you probably know), so I was quite surprised that I ended up liking this fic a lot. Which undoubtedly has to do with the fact that we get an insight into John's emotional state - and a reunion, a real reunion, in 221B.
My favourite quote is as simple as it is heartbreaking, it's Sherlock saying: "I just don't want to be alone anymore, John." This just made me go I don't want you to be alone anymore, either, Sherlock, so go and get him! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 3, 2014 10:31 am  #285

silverblaze wrote:

So.... where's the cat? 

The cat is on the gravestone at Sherlock's grand-mere's grave in France, at the very end, and I thought it was a lovely touch!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

December 3, 2014 10:53 am  #286

Oh yes, there's the cat. God, stupid me... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 3, 2014 11:11 am  #287

Gorgeous fic,and I really adored the  cat on the grave!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

December 3, 2014 11:54 am  #288

Found the cat hidden in the unfortunate formatting. I must confess I kinda just skimmed the denouement on the first read but now, in search of the cat, I read it properly and was pleasantly surprised. 

December 3, 2014 1:38 pm  #289

I am so so sorry for the formatting, dear author. I will try and fix it as soon as I am home tonight. :'(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 3, 2014 6:08 pm  #290

The Tast of Cornish Wines

Dear unkown author,
no reasons to apologies! Thank you very much for the lovely fic ! Thank you for creating a case fic, I know how difficult to write those are. The parts of the baby’s death and Mary’s funeral were so emotional . The description of Sherlock’s feelings felt very authentic. I also like the way you resolved the Mary issue. I actually believe in Mary as a good character and that her death will somehow have the purpose to save John/Sherlock. So I am very happy about that part.
I was so engulfed in the story that I almost forgot about the cat and just before reaching the last paragraphs I remembered my prompt and was wondering about that. Brilliantly solved! The ending is my favorite part of the story. On the one hand, the story begins with Sherlock’s thoughts about his grandmother’s grave and the story end’s just there (and so the circle is complete). The other thing I loved about the ending is the way Sherlock’s and John’s relationship developed; that they didn’t fall for each other head to toe immediately but it’s a slow process from deep friendship to more. The boundaries of platonic and romantic love are slowly melting. Loved that ! Thank you very much for putting so much effort into it!
Now I really have a bad conscience because my fic is still not finished, but almost done, almost done…

Edit: Sorry, I don't know, why there is a line break after every emoticon.

Last edited by stoertebeker (December 3, 2014 6:13 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 3, 2014 6:31 pm  #291

I did some editing now and still don't understand what went wrong.
I've deleted each and every formating sign like [ and b and ], but some still show up in the post. Needless to say that I cannot delete those that don't appear in the writing window.

Is there a tech wizzard out there who can explain that to me?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 3, 2014 8:18 pm  #292

I rather liked the idea of the French grandma and that John and Sherlock went to her grave in the end. The bit about the still birth was very sad and emotional, and the name Willie Elizabeth is very cute. And of course Sherlock's scent would be "Egoiste".

Schmiezi: The program sometimes does that, I've had similar troubles only recently when I wanted to post something in the Games section.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

December 3, 2014 10:07 pm  #293

I really want to know if the unknown author is a canon buff, because parts of this really reminded me of some ACD canon stories, probably why I liked it so much.

The explanation of Mary's death was great. I'm pretty sure it will be something like this in reality too - something from her past catching up with her.

And the development of Sherlock & John's relationship was heartwarming and gave me a pleasant gooey feeling in my chest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 4, 2014 5:20 am  #294

I liked the nice way the fic started and ended with Sherlock's grandma, and IMO you found a clever way to include a cat into a fanfic.

Thanks to Harriet the formating of the fic is improved again, BTW. It should look all right now. 

December 4, 2014 7:27 am  #295

Thanks for the lovely pic in the fic thread. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2014 8:06 am  #296

Aaawwww, that pic is so sweet, Schmiezi. Thank you! 

Last edited by mrshouse (December 4, 2014 8:07 am)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 4, 2014 8:16 am  #297

Sherlock and John are havin' such a good time... and I'm sitting in the office. Life isn't fair. But those two are sweet. 

December 4, 2014 11:06 am  #298

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I really want to know if the unknown author is a canon buff, because parts of this really reminded me of some ACD canon stories, probably why I liked it so much.

The explanation of Mary's death was great. I'm pretty sure it will be something like this in reality too - something from her past catching up with her.

And the development of Sherlock & John's relationship was heartwarming and gave me a pleasant gooey feeling in my chest.

Yeah, isn't the French grandma a canon nod? I vaguely remember that Holmes was related to French painters or something. 

December 4, 2014 11:10 am  #299

The pic is really cute!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 4, 2014 11:23 am  #300

silverblaze wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, isn't the French grandma a canon nod? I vaguely remember that Holmes was related to French painters or something. 

Here is an answer to your question:

ACD, "The Greek Interpreter":

In your own case,” said I, “from all that you have told me, it seems obvious that your faculty of observation and your peculiar facility for deduction are due to your own systematic training.”

To some extent,” he answered, thoughtfully. “My ancestors were country squires, who appear to have led much the same life as is natural to their class. But, none the less, my turn that way is in my veins, and may have come with my grandmother, who was the sister of Vernet, the French artist. Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms.”

Last edited by nakahara (December 4, 2014 11:24 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera