BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2014 3:40 pm  #1

Christmas traditions

I was reading up about Dutch christmas traditions because my guy mentioned he would be doing some special Christmas stuff on the 5th for the kids he helps twice every week...

And I thought, why not have a place to discuss Christmas traditions

(I realize not everyone celebrates Christmas, but please share any Holiday tradition too)

In Denmark we celebrate Christmas eve on the 24th, with a pine tree that we decorate during December, usually with real candles and after a dinner where some families have pork roast; my family has roast duck and sausage and for desert Ris ala Mande (rice porridge with whipped cream, vanilla and chopped almonds topped with cherry sauce)... we all hold hands and walk around the tree singing Christmas songs. (in my family we stand or sit around the tree...)

When all that is done the presents kept under the tree is given out... and that is the end of Christmas eve.

We have chocolate advent calendars here, and most kids get presents every Sunday in December; advent presents we call them... 

As a kid Santa would give me a little present every morning.

4 Sundays up to Christmas eve we light a candle in a pine reef (similar to those some people would hang on their door)... the first Sunday we light one candle the second we light 2 until all 4 candles are lit. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (November 30, 2014 3:43 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 1, 2014 12:40 am  #2

Re: Christmas traditions

Neat.  Yeah, there's certain ones that are well known depending on the country/culture you grow up in… a Yule log, advent calendars, leaving cookies for Santa, candle/menorah lighting, those british holiday 'crackers' (which I always thought were kinda cool), certain foods/plants/lights/music/decorations…  neat how many variations there are with such similar things, and kind of curious about variations or ways your guy's families personalized those… I must admit I can't think of too many we started of our own! 

Oh, except for how our Christmas Eve usually goes.  Instead of, as when we were kids, trying to sleep and excitedly waking up early in the morning of Christmas Day to see what 'Santa' left under the tree, we changed that around when we were teenagers.  After our big holiday Eve dinner, we were having a great time just hanging around, games, and holiday movies on tv, didn't want to go to bed.  Brother and I cajoled dad that technically, midnight was 'Christmas Day', so could we just wait a bit longer and do the gift-sharing then?  He relented, and the next year we brought it up again, and it stuck ever since, everyone getting to relax after dinner and share all the treats and goodies (although usually earlier than right at 'midnight', now), then just sleep in and have the morning for sharing breakfast.    Although it sounds like the time gifts are shared is similar over there, Phantom?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 2, 2014 9:56 pm  #3

The funniest part about xmas in Australia us that it's summer here but they still sell xmas merchandise with fake snow on it. The shopkeepers just ignore the fact that most Aussie kids who will be getting the winter themed xmas toys have never seen real snow before

December 2, 2014 9:57 pm  #4

I'm fairly certain it wasn't snowing when Jesus was born.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 4, 2014 10:33 am  #5

Jesus wasn't born at Christmas anyway. Christianity just stole/misappropriated the pagan festival of Yule. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 4, 2014 5:45 pm  #6

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 23, 2014 11:31 pm  #7

I have a personal tradition, that I am going to continue for the rest of my life... especially if I have kids one day. 

When I was 17 this thing started... After Christmas dinner the dog usually wants his walk, and to get away from washing the dishes like I used to do every day I volunteered to walk him. Honestly I needed air... I was having an awful Christmas because well... life wasn't super. 
I just suddenly felt such a calm, there was complete silence as everyone in the country were inside celebrating... frosty air and clear black sky with twinkling stars. I just took it all in and as I was admiring the stars I saw a huge shooting star. 

My heart just decided that it was santa... 

When I came back from the walk I sat in front of the tree and mum started to light the candles... I just felt like I was filled with so much joy suddenly. The spirit of Christmas really came to me.

Ever since, I have made it a tradition to walk the dog after the Christmas dinner and I keep my eye on the sky as much as I can. 

I know technically it was nothing more than a meteorite burning up in our atmosphere but honestly I like the fairytale. And I still believe in santa today even I'm 24... Only 'my' santa doesn't give toys to kids and flies around in a sleigh pulled by rednosed reindeer... he grants the true Christmas spirit to those who needs it most. 

And yes, before you ask. My family laughs about it... a lot... but mum is just glad I am so eager to do a chore... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 23, 2014 11:39 pm  #8

Oh, Phantom, you're Danish? Now I felt like writing Norwegian to you, but I guess that would be a bit exluding. ;)  (And love your Christmas story!)

In Norway the traditions are similar to Denmark. We decorate a pine tree (although with electrical lights), and put star-shaped lights and hanukkah-like lights in the windows, lights on trees outside, light-decorations on the walls of the houses... It is kind of like a light festival in the darkest of times.

24th is the biggest day in Norway. Tradition vary somewhat, but we visit the graveyard to put a light on the grave of our dear ones during the day, then we eat rice pudding with our closest family. The rice pudding contain one single almond. The one who gets the almond, gets a present, usually some kind of Christmas candy.

Later in the afternoon it's Christmas dinner, usually pork or lamb rib, served in  traditional way. After dinner and dessert it's opening of presents. 25th and 26th are also usually family days, with either a really big Christmas breakfast or another traditional Christmas dinner. 

Last edited by Vhanja (December 23, 2014 11:40 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 23, 2014 11:53 pm  #9

I had heard about visiting the graveyard. That is a gorgeous tradition... in a way I wish we did that here. 

We do most of the same with the lights; most of the country is lit up with lights in windows and on bushes and trees outside... one of my favourite traditions really. I like the roots from the Winter Solstice...

Another very Danish tradition is Christmas work parties that always go bad... people drink too much and say stuff they don't mean to people they have to work with... if they don't do something worse. Apparently divorce rates soar in January and it has been linked to those office parties 

I was in Oslo btw a month ago. The Christmas decorations there were gorgeous even if we were only there during the day. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (December 23, 2014 11:56 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 24, 2014 12:04 am  #10

LOL, the Christmas work party is the same in Norway! There will always be one who get too drunk, and there are always fun made out of who shag who at those parties.

Never been to Oslo at Christmas time, so you've seen more than me there. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 24, 2014 12:29 am  #11

And an early merry xmas to orthodox Russians who won't get to celebrate xmas until January 6th.

December 24, 2014 8:00 pm  #12

Here the big da is tomorrow. We have a had a pine tree in the house for a couple of weeks now and it is decorated with electric lights and other decorations. It has an angel on top (some people have a star on top). Tomorrow is the day for opening presents: from  Santa, or Father Christmas (although that name is much less used than it used to be), plus presents from relatives etc.

There will be a big Christmas dinner with (for meat eaters) turkey, or maybe goose, ham, stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce (again a relatively recent arrival), gravy, pigs in blankets (which are small sausages wrapped in bacon and cooked), brussel sprouts, parsnips, potatoes etc. Years ago we also always had a cooked tongue and something called brawn (made from a pig's head) but these are not common nowadays.

There is usually a starter before that (varies what that is) and for pudding/desert traditionally a Christmas pudding. This is a rich, dark pudding with lots of dried fruit and spices. Years ago we always had a silver sixpence cooked inside the pudding and if you were lucky enough to find it in your helping (and didn't choke on it) you got to keep it. The pudding is often brought into the room flaming, having had alcohol (brandy) poured on it and then set alight. This is eaten with custard, or cream and sometimes with brandy butter (which is butter with brandy mixed into it). We also have mince pies. These are made of pastry with dried fruit, spices and beef suet (vegetarian varieties available). This year I made some with a German friend of mine, who lives locally, and we added some chopped up tangerines. We put pastry stars on top. I believe the average calories for Christmas Day here is 6,000! Plus often plenty of alcohol is drunk.

After that people tend to fall asleep! The next day many people eat cold meats (left overs) with mashed potato and pickles. Bubble and squeak is also popular which is patties made from the left over brussel sprouts and mashed potato which are fried. They get their name from the sound they make while cooking in the frying pan.

Tomorrow we are visiting my brother- and sister-in-law for a brief while and then we are going to good friends for the feast!

Anyway, that is just to give you an idea of what Christmas is like here, for us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 24, 2014 10:40 pm  #13

Christmas traditions at my place includes going out and about to see the Christmas lights.  Every Christmas Eve my dad and mom would bundle up the kids in the car and we would go out to the industrial area of our city where the different plants would change all the lights on their buildings over to coloured lights.  This included huge cracking towers and large buildings too.  They also would put out displays in front of their establishments and hold a contest to see who had the most colourful display. 

Sadly with harder economic times they have discontinued this practice so we now go to a park where there is something called a "Celebration of Lights" that has displays from various clubs and businesses.  It is really lovely (especially if there is new snow on the ground) but it can't compare to a whole section of the city being "Christmas-fied". 

We usually go to a family friend's place to have a party as well on Christmas Eve but this year I am not feeling well so we had our best friend come over and exchange gifts and then they went off to the party. 

Christmas day is turkey and all the fixings (mashed potatoes, gravey, veggies, and cranberry sauce).  Both my parents are dead and Dan's Dad died many years ago so we are having his Mom over to have Christmas dinner with us. 

Boxing Day my sister and her husband are traveling from their place to spend the day with us and stay overnight.  We will exchange gifts with them at that time.  We have a beautiful balsam fir for our tree this year and each one of the decorations on it have an individual special meaning to us.  We have a handmade wooden Santa at the top of our tree.  I also decorate up the mantle of our fireplace and outside pots on our porch with boughs from all the different everygreen trees on our property.

When we were kids on Christmas day our whole family would have a huge marathon of playing board games after we opened our gifts while my mom made dinner.  Those are treasured memories. 

Even though I am not religious I still regard the feelings of peace, love and family very important to celebrate at Christmas.  And besides I still believe in the spirit of Santa!! 

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (December 24, 2014 10:41 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 25, 2014 8:17 pm  #14

The Christmas tree adorned with decorations is a tradition in my homeland also. At Christmas dinner we usually wash our faces with water into which coins were submerged - it brings monetary luck to you in the year that follows. The luck in your money affairs is also brough fort by having money and lentils hidden under your festive tablecloth  - fails on me, but is probably effective when other people are doing it. 

Christmas dinner consist of:

Mead and garlic and a light Christmas "cracker" to bring health to the people consuming it.

Sweet bread lupms richly sprinkled with poppy seed and sugar (in ancient times, people still fasted during Christmas Eve and this meatless food was the main course - now it´s a kind of entree).

The next course is a very good soup made from sauerkraut, meat, sausages (mostly quite sharp and peppery), mushrooms and sometimes even sour cream. It´s incredibly good, so of course, I can´t have even a lick of it - my gallbladder would explode immediately.

The last course is a fried fish fillette and potato salat made from cubed potatoes, carrots, peas, pickled gherkins, shredded onions and mayonnaise. Once again - good and unedible for me in my current state. But at least the pictures look delicious. 

After eating all this, you are supposed to stuff youself with cakes until you faint, but people mostly realise by themselves that they are so full they are almost bursting, so they move next to a Christmas tree where presents magically appeared during dinner. Then they observe the children of their family going through presents like small bulldosers and tearing the wraps with abandon. 

Quite funny holidays, all in all.

Last edited by nakahara (December 25, 2014 8:18 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 26, 2014 2:27 am  #15

Oh boy that soup does look good! 

Don't you hate it when your body betrays you and won't let you eat the things you really like...

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 26, 2014 8:37 am  #16

Well we know Benedict celebrated Christmas in the most traditional way possible...
He was photographed in Church with Sophie in Edinburgh.

Last edited by besleybean (December 26, 2014 8:38 am)

December 26, 2014 11:08 am  #17

besleybean wrote:

Well we know Benedict celebrated Christmas in the most traditional way possible...

Wow, that´s nice. It seems he really respects traditions.
Do you have a link to the photos?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 26, 2014 11:31 am  #18

What's your homeland again Nakahara? In Eastern Europe somewhere? Those dishes look lovely. 

Christmas tradition here: 
24th Dec. Christmas eve with presents under the tree.
25th and 26th: visiting family. The 25th is the biggest day, we usually prepare a lovely dinner. I don't think there are specific traditional foods, but we do make something elaborate. Deer was really popular in our family for a while, but now we had a lovely fish platter. 

December 26, 2014 11:37 am  #19

silverblaze wrote:

What's your homeland again Nakahara? In Eastern Europe somewhere? Those dishes look lovely. 

Slovakia. 

We generally consider ourselves to be a part of Central Europe, because you can find elements of both Western and Eastern European culture in our land - we stand nicely in the middle of it. 

December 26, 2014 11:55 am  #20

nakahara wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Wow, that´s nice. It seems he really respects traditions.

It could also mean that Sophie or/and he enjoy going to church.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera