BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2014 8:44 am  #1

What Christmas?

In the light of news about the approaching "Sherlock Christmas special" (allegedly based on "The Blue Carbuncle") there is one thing that I find very puzzling.

During which Christmas will this Christmas special take place?
Christmas that was in full swing during HLV? But that´s highly unlikely! Sherlock shot CAM during that Christmas and was probably being imprisoned for the rest of it.
Next Christmas? But that would mean a very strange gap in the continuity of things - problems with Mary´s past, with baby Watson, with the mystery of "ressurected" Moriarty...
Which then? Where in the continuity of Sherlock storyline can this story be placed?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 31, 2014 11:38 am  #2

Re: What Christmas?

Does a Christmas special mean the story has to take place during Christmas? Could just mean the show airs sometime December 2015.  I'm hoping there is continuity from the end of HLV.

Last edited by KeepersPrice (October 31, 2014 11:39 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 31, 2014 11:39 am  #3

Not sure if the creators ever called it a "Christmas" special at all? Does anyone know?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 31, 2014 11:50 am  #4

I seem to recall that they did, but I can't find any proof right now. 

KP, if this works the way the Christmas Specials on Doctor Who work, then it will take place during Christmas. But maybe they will do something completely different, after all there has never been a lot of continuity when it came to the DW Christmas Special - but well, it's about time travel. 
I would like it if the Special took place during and around the Christmas we saw in HLV. There are lots of things we haven't seen yet, some gaps could be filled. But I doubt they'll do this, so... let's see.   

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 31, 2014 12:02 pm  #5

Oh, i personally took it being called Christmas special cause it will be screened around Christmas? It is still sooooo long 

October 31, 2014 12:19 pm  #6

I presume that it will take place during Christmas because "The Blue Carbuncle" was a Christmas time story.
Why would they choose this story if they wanted to stick it to the spring or a summer?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 31, 2014 12:31 pm  #7

I would love it happening at Christmas cause i am (unlike Sherlock) such a Christmas fan 

October 31, 2014 1:01 pm  #8

nakahara wrote:

I presume that it will take place during Christmas because "The Blue Carbuncle" was a Christmas time story.
Why would they choose this story if they wanted to stick it to the spring or a summer?

The problem is there has been no official confirmation that it will be based on "Blue."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 1, 2014 8:38 pm  #9

With a special like that they could do anything really... it wouldn't even have to be chronological with the series so far I suppose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 1, 2014 9:18 pm  #10

True ... it could be a flashback.   The original stories weren't all chronological, were they?

November 1, 2014 10:47 pm  #11

Please no more flashbacks. And although I'm excited about specials, I really need them to be continuous, because I do get lost in the timeline otherwise! The last special was good because it fit in, but it wasn't really a big special, more like a teaser really.
Hounds felt already disconnected and when I watch all series in one, it always pulls me a bit out of the chronology. I wouldn't like it very much to have another out-of-usual-timeline (or storyline) special...
just my feeling about this

Last edited by Whisky (November 1, 2014 10:47 pm)

"It is what it is."

November 2, 2014 12:18 am  #12

But would flashback be really possible here?
Wasn´t Sherlock still officially "dead" last Christmas?
And the Christmas before too?
And the Christmas before The Reichenbach Fall - that was when Irene´s case took place, wasn´t it? It is highly unlikely that other important cases took place in Sherlock´s life at that time.
So the "future" Christmas seems like the only possible solution....

November 2, 2014 5:22 pm  #13

I don't think it will be set at Christmas. They have to carry on exactly from where they left off and answer the Moriarty question.

It's never been officially confirmed that it will be based on Blue Carbuncle. And as far as I know, it's never been officially called a Christmas Special either, just "a one off special", "a full length special" or "special" that will be "shown over Christmas."

Technically it could still be "the Christmas period" in the Sherlock timeline. It was Christmas Day when Sherlock shot Magnussen. His death mission could have been arranged within 2 or 3 days. It might not even be New Year yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 28, 2014 6:21 pm  #14

nakahara wrote:

But would flashback be really possible here?
Wasn´t Sherlock still officially "dead" last Christmas?
And the Christmas before too?
And the Christmas before The Reichenbach Fall - that was when Irene´s case took place, wasn´t it? It is highly unlikely that other important cases took place in Sherlock´s life at that time.
So the "future" Christmas seems like the only possible solution....

Actually there was a chistmas in series 3 we haven't seen. TEH is set at the beginning of November whereas TSoT is somewhere in spring. So the Christmas before the CAM desaster Sherlock was already back.
That was my original idea for the special. That this single episode might take place at that particular Christmas with a nice story but also some hints about Mary's past or Moriarty's return that the audience would recognize but the characters not. It would also be a possibility of doing the special without direct continuation of series 3 which IMO will not happen until series 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera