BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2014 2:37 pm  #21

Re: IG press & reviews

Liberty wrote:

I know that often details are changed in biopics (they are entertainment, after all), but I'm disappointed that they seem to have changed some things unnecessarily, especially in what is an important film.   If they're adding in things that denigrate Turing's character, with no evidence, then that's pretty dodgy. 

But this is the point: you haven't seen the film and this review is obviously trying to influence your opinion ante litteram, in a negative way. The title of the text is actually very aggressive and denigrating.

So I haven't seen the film either, but
1. this is the first reveview to make such an accusation. Curiously enough, the film has been accused also of "sanitazing" Turing biography and being too celebrative. It has been accused of omitting "darkek" or less "attractive" sides of Turing life, of being too crowd-pleasing...
2. I can understand some average viewers complaining about inaccuracies or historicians regretting this or that detail. However, that's why a "documentary" and "feature movie" are considered two different film genres. IG is BASED on a true story and the producers & director & writer are the first to admit they changed some facts and details.
And if something is sure about this production, is that it is a product of a profound love and admiration for Turing, driven by the need to render justice to him.

November 21, 2014 4:16 pm  #22

Tobe, I think the film does a good job of highlighting the issue, but it's not quite the same as a royal pardon for all of them. 

It's difficult to discuss the rest without spoilers.  Actually the only reason there are spoilers is because things have been added that are fictional!   But I'll use a spoiler tag, as I know not everybody has seen it, and maybe talk some more in the spoilered thread.

The review is right in that they do show an incident where Turing is blackmailed, and I agree with the reviewer that it's a touchy subject because of the tendency to view gay men as a security risk at that time, and particularly because it appears to be fictional.  I'm not an expert and maybe the writer has access to other information - although the credits say the film is based on Andrew Hodges, and the article says he claims that it never happened.   Anyway, in the film, it does look as if Turing is thinking about revealing the spy, although he puts the phone down ... and then when he finds that somebody else may be incriminated if he doesn't reveal him, he's about to do so, when he finds that the spy is a plant.   Storywise, the spy also plays a part in making Turing's sexuality explicit. 

As I've said, I'm not completely averse to facts being changed to suit the story and know that it's standard practice in biopics.  I suppose this adds drama and tension, and another view of Turing's character ... but I would probably personally prefer that it was left out if it wasn't true.  I think there could have been other ways to make it clear that Turing was gay.

On the other hand, the scene where Alan is told of Christopher's death is wonderful (an astounding performance by Alex Lawther) and I don't think it's so important the facts were changed slightly here.

Last edited by Liberty (November 21, 2014 10:51 pm)

November 21, 2014 4:45 pm  #23

Liberty wrote:

Tobe, I think the film does a good job of highlighting the issue, but it's not quite the same as a royal pardon for all of them. 

It's difficult to discuss the rest without spoilers.  Actually the only reason there are spoilers is because things have been added that are fictional!   But I'll use a spoiler tag, as I know not everybody has seen it, and maybe talk some more in the spoilered thread.

It was my understanding that the screen writer intended to maintain that any of those accused and convicted men deserved a royal pardon. Sadly, this hasn't happened to date.
Btw I wonder, Liberty, how you could be so sure about everything – even want to discuss things - when you haven't seen the film yet.
Or did I misunderstand you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 21, 2014 4:57 pm  #24

I saw it this afternoon, Tobe!  Sorry, for being confusing (I didn't make that clear at all, did I?)

And yes, the review said that the "justice" part was one that the film got right.   It's just that there are issues around the pardon (not the film) being limited to Turing.   It's as if, by pardoning one person, the UK is saying that what all those men did was still wrong, but that in Turing's case, his contribution to the country outweighs his wrongdoing.  A bit like the Camden garotter .   It's too late for Turing to benefit from it, but other people who were convicted and still alive could benefit.  So it's not a simple issue - I have mixed feelings and agree with the reviewers comments that it was controversial at the time.

November 21, 2014 6:31 pm  #25

I actually have problems understanding what your point is, Liberty, when it comes to pardoning Turing. It's absolutely right that ALL accused and convicted men should have been pardoned a long, long time ago. But in my opinion this has nothing to do with Turing, it has to do with the British government and whoever else is responsible for granting or not granting such a pardon. Pardoning Turing certainly isn't wrong. What's wrong is the fact that others haven't been pardoned. But how can we know that they all would have been pardoned by now if Turing hadn't been pardoned? 

About changing or adding details in biopics: I agree with those who say that this lies in the nature of a biopic. If one wants to have absolute historical accuracy, one has to watch a documentary. For me it's important that the added details make sense when I look at the inner logic of the film. Most biopics try to tell an important story to a broad audience, and it makes a lot of sense to tell such a story in an entertaining and at the same time enthralling way. I guess we will never know if it was really necessary to add details in order to achieve that effect. But as long as it is done in a respectful manner, I can accept it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 21, 2014 7:45 pm  #26

Well, my point is partly just that the reviewer is correct in saying that it the pardon was controversial.  It was welcomed, but it also served to highlight the injustice.  It doesn't somehow make things OK, or help Turing or for any of those men (some of them still alive with a criminal record).  I'm glad that was mentioned at the end of the film.  Benedict Cumberbatch also implies something similar when he talks about Turing.  There was nothing wrong with what Turing did - it's not up to the Queen or the government to declare him innocent.  It shouldn't have been a crime in the first place, and perhaps all the convictions should be overturned.  The government does not have a great record on gay rights (I did put this more strongly, but I've edited because I'm aware that the UK is so much better than some countries, and that huge progress has been made.  But we have a lot to be ashamed of, in the quite recent past.  You don't have to go back even as far as Turing).

Some of the changes do work very well (like the one I've spoilered).   I can see how making more of Turing's relationship with Joan helped to make the film work (by letting us see him through her eyes, and showing key conversations with her).   I do think it's dangerous ground though to claim that Turing was blackmailed AND then to speculate about how he would have reacted and imply that he really was a security risk due to his sexuality, just for the sake of a better story.  There is a disclaimer at the end, but we're not told which parts are fictional and which aren't.  To be honest, I don't feel it was necessary and I would have loved the film without it.   And if I hadn't read this review beforehand I would probably have gone away believing it as fact. 

Last edited by Liberty (November 21, 2014 10:47 pm)

November 23, 2014 12:59 pm  #27

This is an article from last year, but it's quite detailed about the legal aspects of the pardon and suggests an alternative.

Last edited by Liberty (November 23, 2014 1:07 pm)

November 23, 2014 1:59 pm  #28

It's offensive to me that he was given a pardon...he'd done nothing wrong!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 25, 2014 10:12 am  #29

This is from a new "Telegraph" article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/11251483/Russell-Crowe-in-The-Water-Diviner-Rewriting-history.html

"In interviews, Cumberbatch has made a great deal of noise about wanting to play the tragic figure of Turing, who was later prosecuted and chemically castrated for being gay, as faithfully as possible.
But ironically, the film is a load of junk history. The catalogue of offences against the truth is too long to list here, but the most egregious falsehood is the notion that Turing covered up the treachery of John Cairncross, the Soviet spy, on the grounds that Cairncross was about to out him.n truth, the men never met. But most of the British public will now believe that Turing abetted treachery. So much for honouring the poor man’s memory."

May be the journalists just cannot swallow the success IG is having among the audience? The snarky remark abut BC who "makes a great deal of noise" really gives away author's bias, but more importantly than this, reading the viewers' tweets/ opinions I haven't found a single one which would indicate that such was an impression they got from the film. No angry & disgusted comments about "traitor" Turing [size=75]at all.[/size]

November 25, 2014 11:25 am  #30

To be honest, I'd guess that most people didn't know that that bit wasn't true.  Even though I've read the book, I think I'd just have accepted it as fact after seeing the film. 

I suppose we almost all have our pressure points and are susceptible to blackmail, so I wouldn't think Turing was a terrible person if he had been too.   If it had really happened, I would be happy for it to be in the film.   But inventing it and putting it means that we're being told for a fact (in the film) that Turing succumbed to blackmail and would cover for a spy/traitor, AND that the government was probably right to see gay men as a security risk (because of their susceptibility to blackmail!). 

That IS an important issue (in fact, it was the goverment creating the security risk by having sex between men be illegal), but it wasn't Turing's issue (as far as we know), so I don't think it was the right place to explore it.  I don't want to spoiler, but the film doesn't show anything of Turing's sexuality (beyond his first, chaste love) and so the spy and the blackmail, are a way of making it clear that he was gay and practicing, so that the confession to Joan doesn't come out of the blue.  I don't know if that was why that was added - I would love an explanation, as it does seem a controversial thing to invent.  I'm even wondered if maybe it did happen and THAT's why it was added?  And then it worries me that I'm questioning it!  The fact that Benedict (and the film) is so good makes this worse, because you find yourself being drawn into believing it.

Last edited by Liberty (November 25, 2014 11:27 am)

November 25, 2014 12:24 pm  #31

These are interesting points, Liberty. I haven't seen the film yet, so I cannot discuss the fully, but I would like to ask you two things:
1. I went to see the film AFTER having read the article about "slender": do you think your reaction to the movie would have been just the same if you hadn't done it?
2. I haven't seen the film but I've read the script, so I knew about the "spy" issue. I don't know whether the movie changed the way this was tackled, but in the script, while T. was susceptible to the blackmail, it was resolved very quickly when he had to choose between his secret and the risk to harm a person he cared for. And in doing what he did he also sacrificed something very important to him. (ok, being a bit criptic but probably you know what I mean)
What is very real, I think, is that secret services were very unhappy with his being gay: it was also shown in "Breaking the code" with Jacobi: they were always controlling him, checking on his lovers, especially foreginers and using it as a pressure point. Which was, if I am guessing rightly, also a crucial point in IG, wasn't it?

November 25, 2014 12:52 pm  #32

1. As I mentioned, if I hadn't read that the blackmail was invented before seeing the film, I would have believed it.

2. But in reality (I assume) he wasn't a risk just because he was gay - there was no evidence that he was being blackmailed.  (By adding in the blackmail, the film is showing that it was right that he was monitored in this way.  And obviously during the war, in such a high security environment, they have a point).  Although I take your point - modern audiences might not be aware of this and perhaps the blackmail was added to show why gay men were seen as a risk.  And it does add to the drama/story/entertainment aspect. I would rather it had been done differently, though. 

In the film, yes, the situation is resolved (I mentioned some of the story in the bit I put in spoiler tags further up), and

there was no need to expose the spy - MI6 were using him to feed selected information to the Soviets, which it looks may well have been true

.   But we're still left thinking that Turing succumbed to blackmail, and in fact may well have continued to cover for a traitor

whom he had no idea was a plant, if he hadn't thought that Joan was at risk

There's another article in the Telegraph here about the people involved.   It does have spoilers (e.g. if you don't know who the spy is, and want to watch the film as a "thriller"). 

Last edited by Liberty (November 25, 2014 1:17 pm)

Board footera