BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2014 3:03 pm  #461

Re: Recently watched movies.

Maybe it's one of those films where it's best not to have read the story!  I love Kubrick and think the film is amazing.   I like King too, but sometimes I think his stories work even better as films than books/stories (Stand By Me, for instance).  Or maybe that's just because there have been some outstanding adaptations of his books.

Last edited by Liberty (October 26, 2014 3:04 pm)

October 30, 2014 7:15 am  #462

I watched 'Frank' the other day. The cast includes: Michael Fassbender, Domnhall Gleeson, Maggie Gyllenhaal and directed by Lenny Abrahamson. This is a really good film. At first, the fact that Michael wears a large paper mâché head throughout the majority of the film may seem off-putting but I actually isn't at all. A very, very funny film (I literally laughed out loud several times and in one part got a complete fit of giggles) it is also very poignant and sad at times as well. Dealing with mental illness in a film is always tricky but this film walked the line very well. I can, unhesitatingly recommend it. I watched on DVD as it didn't come to our local cinema as I had hoped. Happy, smiley, welcoming face (you'll get that if you watch the film). 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 3, 2014 9:16 pm  #463

I recently watched Le Weekend, which is of note to Sherlock fans because it stars Lindsay Duncan (Lady Smallwood).  She and Jim Broadbent play a wife and husband, both teachers, who go for weekend in Paris.  The writing is by Hanif Kureishi (The Buddha of Suburbia, My Beautiful Laundrette). 

I really enjoyed this film - I think because it's so rare to see an exploration of relationships between older people.  Also because Lindsay Duncan and Jim Broadbent are a joy to watch.   The couple's children have grown up and they're facing the ends of their (disappointing) careers and a future together in what seems to be a shaky, sometimes resentful, sexless relationship.  I've made it sound really depressing!  It isn't .. but it isn't sappily heartwarming either. 

I'd heard the film was boring.  I didn't find it so, but I see how it could be if you weren't in the mood for it.  There are some funny moments, but it's really about the couple's relationship, and the kind of late life crisis they're both going through in their different ways, but together.  I loved it!

November 8, 2014 11:14 am  #464

Last night I watched 'Dark Harbour' having managed to get a DVD (via a German selling, ironically). This stars Alan Rickman, Polly Walker and Norman Reedus and was released back in 1998. I loved this film. The plot is seemingly simple but has plenty of twists and turns. All the leads play their parts brilliantly. You do get to see Alan naked (nothing terribly shocking) and I loved the ending although some aspects of it were very sad.There were plenty of OMG moments and I thought the tension and atmosphere was built up very well. Not everyone will enjoy this film as it does require thought and, without giving the plot away, some might find the ending off-putting (I don't know why personally but you kow some folk...). Anyway, if you do get a chance to see this I really would.

I am now part way through watching District 9. It is a really good, different film. Review when I have finished.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 8, 2014 11:44 am  #465

I know this film, having it on DVD for a long time, because I´m a fan of Alan Rickman too. He is brilliant in it like he always is, but the stuff is hard, sometimes, so I´m a little bit split of it.
There are other movies with AR I like more and my absolute favorite is "Sense and Sensibility"

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 8, 2014 11:51 am  #466

I love Alan Rickman (who doesn't?), so I'm not sure how I managed to miss this one - maybe it just hasn't been widely available.  It sounds like just my sort of thing.  Thank you for the recommendation! 

November 8, 2014 1:05 pm  #467

It is quite hard to track down. Yes, I agree re: his other films although some of them are just easier to grasp, I think. Dark Harbor is the US title/spelling. It isn't a particularly easy film in that he does not play a very appealing character and it is quite intense and claustrophobic but I loved the way it is written and the plot line. I shall certainly watch it again as I am positive that I missed 'clues' and 'ticks' the first time. I love Alan's work and am a massive fan of Norman as well. I thought Polly Walker played her part extremely well and one could certainly sympathise with her character. 

November 12, 2014 10:08 pm  #468

28 Days Later...watched it for a second time because I wasn't paying attention properly the first time. Danny Boyle directing. Cillian Murhy, Brendan Gleeson, Christopher Ecclestone etc. Brilliant zombie apocalypse movie. Great soundtrack, great acting, great cinematography. Genuinely frightening in places. Plus two alternative endings!

November 15, 2014 2:50 pm  #469

Not a movie but a lovely short film by the European Space Agency, ESA, to explain the Rosetta Mission.

"How Rosetta is turning science fiction into science fact. Ambition, the film, starring Aiden Gillen (Game of Thrones), Aisling Franciosi and ESA Rosetta. Screened on 24 October during the British Film Institute’s celebration of Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 15, 2014 3:06 pm  #470

Fabulous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 15, 2014 11:47 pm  #471

Recently saw both "Intersteller" and "Big Hero 6."

Big Hero 6 was a lot of fun but also very touching.

Intersteller was amazing.  The visuals were very like 2001.  The science was believable and the story had a big human heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 16, 2014 3:52 am  #472

tonnaree wrote:

Intersteller was amazing.  The visuals were very like 2001.  The science was believable and the story had a big human heart.

Awesome… been wondering about this every time I see an interview with someone involved mention how "different" or "amazingly visual" or the mix of 'love' and 'science' and what have you, and Nolan saying it was one of his most personal works.  Did you hear the little anecdote about Nolan writing a note to Hans Zimmer about doing the music (because they'd worked together before, and Zimmer is just good), and he didn't tell him what the film was about, what genre, nothing.  Just said "I am going to give you an envelope with a letter in it. One page. It's going to tell you the fable at the center of the story. You work for one day, then play me what you have written."  And he only mentioned in that interview that the fable had something to do with… I think 'what it meant to be a father' or 'how we see ourselves through our children's eyes'.  And so he did, and played it, and Nolan said he captured the heart of his story, and made that piece the main theme.  Wow 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 16, 2014 6:13 am  #473

I just saw Pride for the 4th time, in the cinema!  Andrew is adorable & everyone was brilliant.  It's no surprise that it's up for so many awards!  I hope you all can see it!
I'm waiting for The Imitation Game now!

November 16, 2014 2:16 pm  #474

Russell wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Awesome… been wondering about this every time I see an interview with someone involved mention how "different" or "amazingly visual" or the mix of 'love' and 'science' and what have you, and Nolan saying it was one of his most personal works.  Did you hear the little anecdote about Nolan writing a note to Hans Zimmer about doing the music (because they'd worked together before, and Zimmer is just good), and he didn't tell him what the film was about, what genre, nothing.  Just said "I am going to give you an envelope with a letter in it. One page. It's going to tell you the fable at the center of the story. You work for one day, then play me what you have written."  And he only mentioned in that interview that the fable had something to do with… I think 'what it meant to be a father' or 'how we see ourselves through our children's eyes'.  And so he did, and played it, and Nolan said he captured the heart of his story, and made that piece the main theme.  Wow 

No I had not heard that!   But it totally fits.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 16, 2014 8:16 pm  #475

tonnaree wrote:

I saw it today and I agree, it was quite amazing. The visuals were breathtaking and McConaughey was pretty convincing. I'm not sure about the ending though, in my opinion Nolan should have let the film end about 20 minutes earlier. The 'big human heart' got a bit too big for me at the very end, with some not very convincing dialogue I've heard far too many times before in movies. And...

...I think Nolan should have let Cooper die. When that weird fifth dimension collapsed and everything went white... would have been the perfect moment to let him die.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 17, 2014 7:54 am  #476

I am very much looking forward to seeing this film, although I'm not a massive Matthew McConaughey fan.

November 24, 2014 7:58 pm  #477

28 Weeks Later. Properly scary, well constructed and acted ZA film. Jeremy Renner is great in this as is Idris Elba.

November 24, 2014 8:49 pm  #478

I finally watched "Kill Your Darlings."   Fascinating film.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 25, 2014 7:54 pm  #479

I finally watched yesterday "Guardians of the galaxy". Very funny and very relaxing.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

November 26, 2014 8:50 am  #480

I NEED to watch Guardians! It has got Michael Rooker in it and I like him! 

Board footera