BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2014 3:35 am  #1

Steve Thompson Appreciation Thread

I thought we could do a post in which we appreciate his work. I find him to be an underappreciated contributor to Sherlock.

While Moffat and Gatiss can put more focus on humor and characterization in their stories, Thompson’s scripts are always straightforward and driven purely by plot. There seems to always be a sense of tightness in his writing. It is for this reason that I still find The Reichenbach Fall to be a masterpiece as well as consider The Blind Banker to be an underrated episode (even though I will admit it has some flaws).

I personally look forward to seeing more Sherlock stories done by him.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (November 21, 2014 3:36 am)

November 21, 2014 7:00 am  #2

Re: Steve Thompson Appreciation Thread

I think they will continue to use him as a writer and one can see why.
A good talent.
So far, Reichenbach has been his masterpiece and it may be a while before he gets the chance to top that.
I like Blind Banker, it's just the subject matter doesn't interest me as much as some of the other episodes.
But the 'staircase scene' is classic and some of the domestic scenes are lovely.
Further,  I will certainly always defend Stephen to the hilt, over that episode.
The abuse aimed at him and lies told are unforgivable.
Anyhow. He also wrote the Stag night. As a piece of TV, it is probably the one I was least inetersted in.
Having said that, he made a good job of it and it is hilarious.

Last edited by besleybean (November 21, 2014 7:03 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2014 1:06 pm  #3

Re: Steve Thompson Appreciation Thread

I loved Reichenbach, it's still one of my favorites and it's the one that made me completely addicted. Apart from the ending, that sequence where Moriarty 'steals' the crown jewels, absolutely brilliant. And Stephen Thompson also came up with my all-time favorite character: Mycroft. 

I agree that he has a stronger focus on plot than the other two. I vaguely remember him saying somewhere that he didn't like the lack of plot so much in TSOT but I could be wrong, it's been a while. 

I became fan because of the writing and because the writers do interviews, (well, two of them do) so I would like to see a bit more of him, so far I've only read one interview with him and he's in one of the making of videos.

Board footera