BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2014 11:07 pm  #321

Re: National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

Davina wrote:

I'm glad it wasn't just me. Unconvincing was me being rather kind (English trait?). I thought the was actually quite awful!

All I could think of was "Hey, it's Kingsley Shacklebolt from the Harry Potter movies."  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 13, 2014 11:45 am  #322

Never a good sign that...especially when he is supposed to be Victor Frankenstein's father! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 13, 2014 12:18 pm  #323

I agree. I was glad that his is a comparably small part. 

Off to watch it again today with Benedict as the Creature and next week, finally, the Reversed version. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2014 12:35 pm  #324

I´m angry with myself that I missed the version I didn´t see yet in my city.. I can only hope for another Encore Screening next year. Have fun, Susi! 

Last edited by Zatoichi (November 13, 2014 12:36 pm)

November 13, 2014 1:11 pm  #325

I'll be in Hamburg next Monday to see the second version (Benedict as Victor). Anyone else going?

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

November 13, 2014 3:01 pm  #326

When will they realize how much money they could make if they put this out on DVD. 
Especially since I know there are fans, not necessaily me or anthing , that would still go see it on the big screen even if they already owned it.

Think of the package they could make!  3 discs.  Both versions of the play and a disc of extras!!  With commentary tracks!!!   *swoon*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 17, 2014 8:12 am  #327

diva wrote:

I'll be in Hamburg next Monday to see the second version (Benedict as Victor). Anyone else going?

Hey diva, I will be there, too! I decided to watch the second version a second time because of the beauiful play of Benedict. He is fantastic in both roles! So we will see us this evening again.

November 17, 2014 11:04 am  #328

Great! I'm looking forward to see you there. I'll probably arrive at the cinema around 7.15 pm so we can have a nice chat before the film starts.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

November 17, 2014 11:52 am  #329

Yay! I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

November 17, 2014 1:15 pm  #330

I want someone with advanced editing skills to merge the two versions so that BC is playing both parts at the same time.   

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 17, 2014 1:50 pm  #331

That would be great! I loved him more in both roles - sorry, Jonny.

November 21, 2014 8:21 am  #332

So I finally had the chance to see the reversed version and was struck again by Benedict's performance. JLM did a very good job playing the creature in a less cerebral and more childlike way and as he said, he was inspired by watching his small child. 

But it is a fact that you have to be really good to give Victor Frankenstein real weight as a character. And in this Benedict is simply better. His Frankenstein stays in the mind longer, he has a wonderful way of combining intellectual arrogance and scientific pride with desperation and fear and showing his inability to build a relationship with another human being (felt reminded of Sherlock there).

There is one moment when he touches Elizabeth and looks at her appraisingly and you simply know that he does not see in her the woman he loves but is already taking measure for building a female creature. This is just brilliantly done.

Last edited by SusiGo (November 21, 2014 8:21 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 21, 2014 9:06 am  #333

Agree 100%.  I liked JLM creature, althought I have always thought BC has an edge in this part, but as Frankenstein Benedict has managed to built a real character and - as usual - a moving one, for all his arrogance and cruelty. I was never able to connect with Miller's Frankenstein, he just seemed to shout all the time and had not a one more "human" trait in him. Well, and of course there is a substantial difference in their vocal range: JLM has not only less impressive voice than BC but doesn't seem to be able to modulate it very well.
In fact, one of the things that irritated me in "Elementary" was the monotony of JLM-Sherlock permanent semi-whisper.

November 21, 2014 1:56 pm  #334

I have seen both versions now too and I was surprised to find out that I liked the version with BC as Frankenstein and JLM as the creature so much better than the other with reversed roles. I saw this version first and really felt with the creature, it really broke my heart when he got beat up by the old man´s son. And I thought at first the role of the creatue would be the much more challenging, difficult part to play and -excuse me for saying so but I do think BC is the more versatile and subtly nuanced actor-, so I was astonished to find out that I preferred JLM´s portray of the creature. But when I saw the second version with JLM as Frankenstein I realised what a brilliant job BC had done with this alleged "easier" role. I don´t know how to express this right but I felt that BC approached both roles in a more intellectual, scientific way and JLM took a more emotional, intuitive approach that worked wonderfully for the creature but not at all for Frankenstein. I wouldn´t have thought the two versions could be so different, but for me they definitely were, I was very moved by the first version and cared for both main characters immensely and though I laughed more during the second version I found it rather emotionally flat and a bit shallow.
It has been a very interesting experience and I´m even more curious now what BC will do with Hamlet next year.

November 21, 2014 3:51 pm  #335

For me it is different. If given the choice, I would always prefer the original version with Benedict as Creature. He is the stronger actor and after having watched it three times I still get breathless during the first ten minutes in a way I did not when watching JLM.
I think Benedict manages to show all aspects of the Creature:  the lonely, abandoned child; the ruthless killer; the intellectual while JLM is very much focussed on the childlike traits and less on the other ones. 
I am very glad to know both versions but given the fact that the Creature is the central part I would always prefer to see Benedict. 

November 21, 2014 6:55 pm  #336

After having seen the reversed version with Benedict as Frankenstein yesterday, I have to say that I was quite surprised to see that Frankenstein is indeed a very interesting character if portrayed by the right actor. I agree with Susi and miriel, JLM's Frankenstein didn't really work for me, I wasn't able to connect with him, to understand him, to feel for/with him. He felt quite one-dimensional to me. So wow, what a surprise to see that there is much more to the role than I thought... Benedict's Frankenstein was amazing, and I especially loved how he ended up showing some gestures and movements I had seen in his Creature before. I know that JLM also said that he gave his Frankenstein some motions of his Creature, and maybe I should see him as Frankenstein again now in order to be sure whether or not he succeeded in doing that. But Benedict's Frankenstein eventually shows more and more traits of his Creature, and that was a lovely thing to see.
JLM's Creature didn't seem very emotional to me, by the way. Especially in the first fifteen minutes I always was under the impression of seeing an actor giving a performance. For me JLM played the Creature, Benedict was the Creature.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 28, 2014 8:31 am  #337

I saw it yesterday with Benedict as Frankenstein, and I was really blown away! Unfortunately I missed the screening when he played the creature. I just hope there will be more screenings some time in the future. Even my boyfriend said it was an astounding performance - but by both of them. The screening was sold out, of course. The whole play was very well done (stage, light). The moments that were touching me the most were first: when the creature tells Elisabeth the most important thing his creator taught him: to lie. And the second: when Frankenstein tells his creature that he doesn't know what love is. It was so sad...

I just hope I get another chance to see BC as the creature, I'm sure he did an amazing performance.

On our way back home we were discussing the play a little. My boyfriend admitted that Benedict is a really extraordinary actor. He has seen some of his works now and begins to get really impressed by his performances. And it's not so easy to impress him. We agreed that working on stage in front of real audience must be so much more challenging. And not every actor can do this and bear a whole play like he and JLM did. Great work.

Last edited by Miss Sherlock Watson (March 13, 2015 9:15 pm)

"It's this - or Cluedo."
"No! We are never playing that again!"
"Why not?"
"Because it is not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock! That's why."
"It was the only possible solution!"
"It's not in the rules."
"Then the rules are wrong!"

March 13, 2015 9:16 pm  #338

Finally going to see the other screening in April with BC as the creature!

"It's this - or Cluedo."
"No! We are never playing that again!"
"Why not?"
"Because it is not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock! That's why."
"It was the only possible solution!"
"It's not in the rules."
"Then the rules are wrong!"

March 13, 2015 9:22 pm  #339

Miss Sherlock Watson wrote:

Finally going to see the other screening in April with BC as the creature!

Oh my God, where will it be? And when?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 13, 2015 9:25 pm  #340

tonnaree wrote:

When will they realize how much money they could make if they put this out on DVD.

Yes. They definitely need to realise that. Especially if you

tonaree wrote:

Think of the package they could make!  3 discs.  Both versions of the play and a disc of extras!!  With commentary tracks!!!   *swoon*

*forgets to breathe*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera