BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2014 9:55 pm  #101

Re: Amanda and Simon Pegg Twitter Conversation about Benedict

1.I personally think it's different when we're talking about the show.
2.  I never mind reading anything anybody has to say...and incidentally, in certain cases that's all I'm allowed to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2014 10:02 pm  #102

1. I don't see the connection.
2. I'm not really sure about that. And I have the same right to, haven't I?

Last edited by gently69 (November 10, 2014 10:04 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 10, 2014 11:24 pm  #103

Actually, the exchange does seem to be at least somewhat "British", for want of a better term--not the language, per se (certainly plenty of American's use language I would not), but there's a certain sort of sharp, mock-insulting give and take (at least, I assume it's mock! ) that's definitely more common among the Brits I know than among Americans.

At least, that's how it looks to me, sitting on the US side; I could certainly be wrong.

Last edited by REReader (November 10, 2014 11:25 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

November 11, 2014 5:05 am  #104

Of course everybody is allowed his/her own sense of humour.
And I'll admit it: to me it's quite fascinating that to some people words like "Cumberfucks" are funny.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 11, 2014 6:37 am  #105

Again, not a word I would use.
But then I am not a close, personal friend of Benedict's.
It does however remind me of soemthing I saw in a recent interview, which I applauded loudly.
Benedict saying that people don't get to call him 'Benny' more than once in his presence!
I loathe that name, so was pleased he said this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 11, 2014 8:04 am  #106

oh, usually I like a lot British humour... but I fail to see why this kind of banter should be carried on on public social media platform... it would be far more appropriate as an exchange of private messages or what's up exchanges, IMO.

November 11, 2014 8:16 am  #107

I do have my very own theory about why this exchange takes place on a social media platform, for everyone to see...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 11, 2014 8:47 am  #108

SolarSystem wrote:

I do have my very own theory about why this exchange takes place on a social media platform, for everyone to see...

Me too. But that's another fairy tale, as one would say in my mother tongue.

November 11, 2014 8:53 am  #109

miriel68 wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Me too. But that's another fairy tale, as one would say in my mother tongue.

I agree.

November 11, 2014 5:08 pm  #110

Oh, please do tell!

November 11, 2014 6:27 pm  #111

I think you can be cheeky and get away with it - or you don't. And balancing this line, some people think it's funny, and some think it's not. That's not really a cultural thing I suppose. Could be though that it's more of a natural thing in Britain, to challenge and come close to crossing the line.

I really wonder though what the true purpose of twitter is. When I started, it felt like a more serious place than other platforms, but by now I'm feeling there's just as much nonsense around (not saying it's wrong to post funny things, but I don't exactly get what they post it for).

Last edited by Whisky (November 11, 2014 6:29 pm)

"It is what it is."

November 11, 2014 6:41 pm  #112

There is a lot of nonsense.
But there is some good stuff too.

November 11, 2014 6:53 pm  #113

To me it looks a bit like they're playing to the gallery; maybe it's genuinely to amuse their fans, maybe slightly exhibitionist - maybe a bit of both, who knows?
I have to say it didn't make me (a Brit!) laugh, although I usually find Simon quite funny - his films, anyway.
As for Twitter, I'm done with it.
There are some nice people on there who I miss chatting with (I don't think they miss me though :-D), and it's useful for learning about Plays, Movies, etc., that I'd otherwise miss.
But the nastiness and entitlement - not to mention the selfishness of some on there just brings me down; I'd rather just stay away!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

November 11, 2014 6:57 pm  #114

I much prefer it to Facebook.

November 11, 2014 7:00 pm  #115

Oh goodness yeah!! I've never even ventured near Facebook; hate the way people seem to define themselves by it!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

November 11, 2014 7:13 pm  #116

Tinks wrote:

To me it looks a bit like they're playing to the gallery; maybe it's genuinely to amuse their fans, maybe slightly exhibitionist - maybe a bit of both, who knows?

Playing to the gallery AND being exhibicionist.
You are not the only one - I have the same feeling.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 11, 2014 7:17 pm  #117

Well, an actor's lot, I suppose.

November 11, 2014 7:20 pm  #118

Tinks wrote:

I share the impression. After all, they're both actors. And I don't believe for a second that they're not acting here to a certain extent. They do this because they know that it will be read by a lot of people. And they throw in Benedict's name because they know that this way even more people will read it, considering the fact that Benedict without a doubt has a far wider fan base than the two of them have combined. And essentially, that is all I need to know.

November 11, 2014 7:30 pm  #119

But they are both busy actors, I don't think they need to advertise.

November 11, 2014 8:06 pm  #120

It was somebody else who brought up the subject of Benedict.   (And nobody mentioned his actual name! ). 

Board footera