BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2014 6:26 pm  #81

Re: Amanda and Simon Pegg Twitter Conversation about Benedict

Will ask my English friend about it. If it is funny for British in general.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 10, 2014 6:48 pm  #82

I don't think everybody in Britain would find it funny (I can think of a couple whom I know wouldn't!). 

I started to type something to explain what I found funny about it, but I've realised I'm rubbish at explaining that sort of thing!

November 10, 2014 6:53 pm  #83

So it not only depends on the native speaking fact?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

November 10, 2014 6:54 pm  #84

No, it's partly Amanda and Simon...that's how they are..
I don't think Martin is much different..

Last edited by besleybean (November 10, 2014 6:54 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2014 6:56 pm  #85

Liberty wrote:

I don't think everybody in Britain would find it funny (I can think of a couple whom I know wouldn't!). 

I started to type something to explain what I found funny about it, but I've realised I'm rubbish at explaining that sort of thing!

Right, it's like explaining jokes. You cannot explain jokes. Well, you can, but it's not that funny anymore. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 10, 2014 7:02 pm  #86

Yes, it's either your humour or it isn't...
It's no big deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2014 7:08 pm  #87

Right, so it isn't only a German vs. British thing.

(Tony Hadley)

November 10, 2014 7:15 pm  #88

Well allegedly there are particular national humours...but I actually think humour can be a very personal thing.
It may be worth remembering in these cases, this isn't professional comedians giving a performance.
It's close friends having a laugh.
We are just fortunate to witness it.
Obviously people are free not to follow these individuals on Twitter.

Last edited by besleybean (November 10, 2014 7:16 pm)

November 10, 2014 7:39 pm  #89

besleybean wrote:

It's close friends having a laugh.

The problem I am having is that I spend sooo much time explaining my pupils how there is no privacy on twitter etc.

Someone who posts a tweet does so because they want to be read publicly. Therefore, to me they are not friends having a laugh, they are actors working to improve their media presence by using a famous actor's name. If they wanted to have a laugh in private they could have done so via different social networks that allow privacy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 10, 2014 7:43 pm  #90

But I don't feel they were saying anything they needed to be private about.
I just don't see this as being the same as teaching children about internet safety.
How were Amanda and Simon putting themselves at risk?

Last edited by besleybean (November 10, 2014 7:44 pm)

November 10, 2014 7:50 pm  #91

Maybe they put others at risk who naively think they can do the same and then can't find a place for vocational education or loose it or the like. Amanda and Simon have a solidified career already.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 10, 2014 7:57 pm  #92

I personally think that's a tad unfair and possibly unrealistic.
They are actors.
They are not counsellors, social workers or teachers.
Child protection is the responsibility of us all..
I would like to think we could all be good role models.
I couldn't see me engaging in  banter like this.
But then I don't have one of my best pals(of the opposite sex) living next door to me.
Maybe because they are celebs they are more likely to hold such a convo in public.
But this one doesn't particularly  bother me.
I have mentioned the times I've had issues with Amanda...this isn't one of them.

Last edited by besleybean (November 10, 2014 7:58 pm)

November 10, 2014 8:00 pm  #93

I'm glad that at least Benedict is aware he is also a kind of role model to younger people.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 10, 2014 8:02 pm  #94

Well he's a little more high profile than either of these two...
Amanda generally seems very nice with fans.
Simon is with his fans on Twitter, actually.

Last edited by besleybean (November 10, 2014 8:02 pm)

November 10, 2014 8:23 pm  #95

I´don´t understand the humor in the "discussion" between Amanda and Simon as well, but I think it is a personel Problem with me and british humor or/and language.
I grant them both their fun, but why must they do it in public? So I agree to Schmiezi, they really could find a better place for their private interacting.
But I also agree to besleybean, I must not follow if I don´t want to.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 10, 2014 8:32 pm  #96

And my friend, she is English, agrees to my opinion. So it is a matter of personal taste and not a cultural thing.
Having a laugh of this kind in public ... not necessary.

(Tony Hadley)

November 10, 2014 8:39 pm  #97

Do you do Twitter?
Because that's what people do.
Just don't follow them if you don't want to see it...you wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't come on this thread,
A bit of perspective.
They're not child molesters, rapists or muderers...they're just 2 mates having a laugh.
If you don't like it, fine, don't read it.

November 10, 2014 8:41 pm  #98

gently, thanks for the info. I didn't actually know whether I should be a bit worried about the British as some people claimed it to be a common British phenomenon, but it seems I don't have to at all.
Just a matter of taste, just like elsewhere.

November 10, 2014 8:45 pm  #99

I don't speak like that on Twitter and I don't necessarily think it's big or clever...but I can take it or leave it.

November 10, 2014 9:51 pm  #100

besleybean wrote:

Do you do Twitter?
Because that's what people do.
Just don't follow them if you don't want to see it...you wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't come on this thread,
A bit of perspective.
They're not child molesters, rapists or muderers...they're just 2 mates having a laugh.
If you don't like it, fine, don't read it.

So it's common to use words like f... and c... etc. on Twitter concerning friends? Yeah, didn't know that.
And who said anything about rapists or similar???
And same advice to you, bb. To avoid threads which contain something you don't want to read ...

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera