BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2014 2:33 pm  #141

Re: New special edition of series 1-3 with lots of extras

SusiGo wrote:

Here is the deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNpCm1y1xEk

This is quite intriguing. Magnussen insinuates that Sherlock is gay and either Irene (The Woman) has sent the rose or the card is upside down as some clever people on tumblr said. If I remember correctly, Steven Moffat said it was from Irene.
Now I would like to know if they originally wanted to substitute this scene for the one with Janine or Mary or if they wanted to keep all three. 

OMG  For a moment I thought CAM was going to kiss him!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 1, 2014 3:02 pm  #142

Oh yes, it's very much an "almost kiss".   I've been rethinking and I don't think Magnusson is using the sexual stuff to get to Mycroft through Sherlock.   He has the big, serious threats that he uses to manipulate people (publishing the letters, etc.).   The sexual stuff is just for his own amusement - I think he enjoys that power.  So that's what's going on in that scene - Magnusson enjoying his power over Sherlock, and letting him know what position he's in.  I was comparing it the face-flicking, but it's a lot more like the face-licking - it has that stronger sexual element. 

(Yes, SusiGo, I think the words about Mary are the actual threat - he's letting Sherlock know that he has control with valuable information, and leaves him to think why that information is valuable to him and work out that he's going to control Sherlock through John and Mary.   I suppose it also highlights that some of his information is just in his head, too.)

It's different seeing it on its own like that, but as part of HLV ... I think it might have been one two many incidents of Sherlock as a victim - he is SO abused during that episode.    But it would have made a nice little trilogy of hospital visits, with Mary and Janine, all bringing a level of threat.

November 1, 2014 3:37 pm  #143

I just found the deleted scene on tumblr.

Totally creepy when he kissed his hand and then said "Apologies for the dampness of my touch, you get used to it"  and I really thought he's going to kiss him on the mouth. I almost vomit just thinking about it! Oh God

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 1, 2014 3:50 pm  #144

Is there only this one deleted scene on the DVD? I had hoped for some more  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 1, 2014 3:57 pm  #145

They always announced only one deleted scene and four minutes of outtakes. No promise broken. 

I am going to open a new thread for the deleted scene so we do not have to communicate in spoilers. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 1, 2014 3:57 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 1, 2014 4:36 pm  #146

SusiGo wrote:

They always announced only one deleted scene and four minutes of outtakes. No promise broken. 

Really? Oh, then I misread it. I thought, that the gay bar scene would be in it too. Pity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 1, 2014 4:51 pm  #147

That was a hopeful expectation but never a fact. And tbh, I am very happy with the scene we got. 

As far as I can say, they have not not promised anything that is not in the special edition, the information was correct. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 1, 2014 5:05 pm  #148

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't meant to complain and I don't blame anyone.I had other expectations but that was wishful thinking. My mistake. I am quite happy with the scene either. It's much more intense and complex then the gay bar scene probably would have been.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 1, 2014 5:07 pm  #149

No worry. I did not take it as a complaint. On tumblr some people were so obsessed with the gay bar scene that it became almost a fact. It would have been funny, sure, but I think the one we got is much more interesting in many ways and tells us more about the characters. 

November 1, 2014 5:26 pm  #150

Sorry but your last post made me laugh so much, Susi.
People being so obsessed that things become fact.
But aside from all that...
Fabulous discussion.
My DVD arrived today.
But you know what?  I'm not even going to open it!
You may remember that I have the BIG version on order too and I know that is on it's way, so I can wait...
This  S3 one can be left unwrapped,as a gift for somebody...it's very pretty and certainly worth buying, from the discussion above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 1, 2014 5:54 pm  #151

Yes, even knowing that everything goes straight onto youtube, it's quite nice to own the DVDs. 

Great idea to start a new thread for the deleted scene!  I should have thought of that. 

November 1, 2014 6:00 pm  #152

Yeah and sorry for my forgetting that this thread IS about the BIG special edition pack and not just the S3 one!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 1, 2014 8:12 pm  #153

I forgot as well!  I don't have the big one, just the S3 one. 

Love Benedict smiling at his mum in the Christmas scene - so sweet!  And Mary right at the end!

November 2, 2014 8:07 am  #154

Do we really need to use spoiler tag? I think it is quite obvious that in a new special edition thread the extras will be discussed?

However, the scene with Magnussen is wonderfully creepy. I cannot feeling sad that he has been eliminated so quickly, he definitely deserved more than just one episode!

November 2, 2014 8:19 am  #155

I was just using the spoiler tags because it's before the official release date (Monday) and some people haven't received their copies yet.   But apart from the deleted scene, I don't suppose there's anything really to "spoil"!

I would have loved more than one episode with Magnusson.  He was fantastic in every scene he was in, and I liked his style of villain more than Moriarty's. 

November 2, 2014 8:47 am  #156

Oh I much prefer Jim, but CAM is great.
I recall my very post on here after HLV aired.
It went along the lines of: firstly, congratulations to Mary for surviving the series, I didn't think you would and commiserations to CAM for not making it!
I really didn't see it coming that he would be phased out so quickly, though possibly this has to happen if Moriarty(or somebody else) is going to be phased 'back' in.
I'm not sure what criteria is used for desciding the relative weight for any particular villain.

November 2, 2014 9:08 am  #157

I don't know about the weight, but I suppose that according to canon he had to be killed.   I'm sure I read that Steven and Mark felt that the story hinted at a cover-up - that Holmes was the person who actually shot him - and they wanted to make that explicit in the TV show.   So right from the beginning, I imagine they'd planned to bump him off. 

Mary supposedly dies in the books, but her death isn't a plot point (unlike Magnusson's), so I don't think they really HAVE to kill her off, if they don't want to. 

November 2, 2014 9:11 am  #158

Shucks!

November 4, 2014 3:28 pm  #159

Does anyone know when the season 3 special edition ( with the deleted scenes ) will be released in Germany?

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

November 4, 2014 5:40 pm  #160

Sorry, I dunno.
But I think my biggie arrived today...
So unfortunately it's now sitting at the delivery office, waiting for me to collect it tomorrow!

Board footera