BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2014 12:27 pm  #1

Key word?

Sherlockology @Sherlockology
 · 1h1 hour ago
"I can certainly give you one word. Ghosts..." - Mark Gatiss, #SherlockChronicles Page 302.

https://twitter.com/Sherlockology?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sherlockology.com%2F&profile_id=296977242&tw_i=527052417754341376&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=347422053890154497

Sherlockology seems to interpret this as a key word for series 4. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 28, 2014 12:28 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 28, 2014 12:31 pm  #2

Re: Key word?

Oh please!!!!  Now give us two more!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 28, 2014 12:34 pm  #3

I´m trying to recall anything from the canon that has to do with ghosts, but I´m coming up blank.
Vampires, on the other hand....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 28, 2014 12:45 pm  #4

Maybe Moriarty is the ghost ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 28, 2014 1:01 pm  #5

Interesting Doyle was into ghosts wasn't ..he founded /was in the ghost club?..

Also this ACD quote comes to mind..."Of all the ghosts the ghosts of our old loves are the worst."....

Last edited by lil (October 28, 2014 1:07 pm)

October 28, 2014 1:05 pm  #6

lil wrote:

Interesting...Doyle was into ghosts wasn't he...he founded /was in the ghost club?

That´s true. He was deep into spiritualism, believed in fairies and similar stuff...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 28, 2014 2:14 pm  #7

Do we know anything about the context in which Mark says this in the book?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 28, 2014 2:48 pm  #8

No, it will only be released on 6 Nov. as far as I know. 

As for the word - just think of rat, wedding, bow. Wedding was the only really obvious one. Ghosts could mean everything or nothing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 28, 2014 2:50 pm  #9

Just like Redbeard.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 28, 2014 3:09 pm  #10

October 28, 2014 3:26 pm  #11

Interesting indeed, Solar.
Also, there were some theories that one story of S4 will be based on "The Valley of Fear" where a scary criminal organisation of freemasons is mentioned. Could the word "Ghosts" be possibly refering to them?

October 28, 2014 9:39 pm  #12

Maybe the word ghost does not refer to a certain Sherlock Holmes story but to the term 'ghosts of the past'. That would fit for the Moriarty-situation but also for a probable Mary-storyline. There are several original ACD stories in which the sins of the past catches up with someone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 28, 2014 9:46 pm  #13

Isn't "ghosts" also a term that can refer to "spies?"   Just a thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 29, 2014 9:36 am  #14

First thing I thought of when I saw it was that phase stoertebeker just mentioned. "The ghosts of our past come back to haunt us"...etc....And then I instantly thought of Mary. She definitely has a few ghosts in her past and I think they're going to catch up with her in Series 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 29, 2014 10:25 am  #15

But wouldn't that be a bit... obvious? After all, it's what most of us expect to happen anyway... Mary's past catching up with her. 

October 29, 2014 3:10 pm  #16

Most of the keyword clues are kind of obvious though. I mean, look at "Wedding". It could have been a whole number of canon stories with different twists and turns on it, but no, it was just basically Sign Of Four with John and Mary getting married, the most obvious wedding of them all.

Same with "Bow". Everyone was like, "ooh, is it the bow of a ship"...no, it's just a variation on His Last Bow, the most obvious one. The clues aren't as clever as people like to make out! The only ambiguous one was "Rat".

And the clues from Series 2 were even more obvious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 29, 2014 3:14 pm  #17

I don't know canon that good. So what does "Ghost" mean? If it is a obvious clue?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 29, 2014 4:42 pm  #18

I have no idea! I don't think it is that much of an obvious clue...the only thing I can think of is a reference to Mary's ghosts of the past catching up with her, like I said before. But I'd rather wait till the official three words are released before speculating too much!

October 29, 2014 6:17 pm  #19

Ghosts are usually the spirits of dead people who come back to haunt the living.   Which would absolutely, and probably far too obviously, fit Moriarty.   But there's only one of him. 

ACD attitude to the supernatural was very strange ... on the one hand, this solid, medical, scientific background (and interest in science) and on the other hand being amazingly gullible, particularly about that obvious fairy hoax.  I find it difficult to understand.

October 29, 2014 6:52 pm  #20

His religious upbringing left him open to believing the unbelievable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera