BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2014 9:03 pm  #1

Ethnographic Field Project

Some of you may know me from my introduction thread, some may not. My name is Jen and I'm an Anthropology student in the CSU system working toward my BA degree. I'm working on an Ethnographic research project and I'm studying fandom, more specifically the sherlock fandom, even more specifically this fanboard. Anthropologists go to great lengths to make sure the identities of their research subjects (I hate that word it makes people sound like nothing more than a tool to gain information, but there it is, that's the word) are protected. Now that all the boring stuff is out of the way, let's get to the interesting bit.

I want to know absolutely everything. That is pretty much the gist of it. I want to know what being in the sherlock fandom means to you, how you participate in fandom, how big a part of your life is it, etc. I want to know how friends are made, the nature of friendships made, and anything else. I know what it's like to be a participant in fandom, I've been an avid member of several fandoms over the last decade or so, Sherlock only being the most recent. I've made friends, even my best friend I met through the Buffy fandom.

Share with me whatever you want pictures, stories (funny, sad, whatever experiences that have stuck with you during your time involved in fandom, it doesn't have to even be about your involvement in this fandom, or this board), fanart, fanfic, etc (I'm also really interested in cosplay). If you don't want to share something with me through this thread, feel free to send me a private message, or even if you just want to chat. I love talking to new people, that's why I'm an anthropologist. 

At some point I may post a survey, as of yet I haven't come up with anything, so until then I'll mostly be relying upon what I observe in the boards and what everyone here decides to share with me. So please, let me show my class what fandom is all about, and let me learn from you what being a Sherlockian is all about. 

Also, if you do share something with me you'd rather keep private, I won't include that in my paper, even just having the information helps.  Even if I can't use it explicitly, it helps me understand the whole picture a bit better. And Time is of the essence, as much as I'd like to have all the time in the world to work on a project like this, the semester system does make that a bit problematic, I have to have my rough draft handed in to be peer reviewed by the end of november. 

If I'm coming off a bit strong, it's only because I'm really excited to start this project and meet new people. So please, don't be shy. If you've made it this far into the post, kudos to you, and thanks for givng me your time and consideration. 

Board footera