BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2014 2:56 pm  #21

Re: Amanda and Simon Pegg Twitter Conversation about Benedict

That's one example how real person fan (slash) fiction is born. So I hope Benedict won't be too shocked when some TV Host or Interviewer (it's always them not the writers or readers) "confronts" him with Ben/Simon stories or paintings.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 20, 2014 3:05 pm  #22

The Star Trek puns are kind of childishly funny .   I don't think it's meant to be cruel, just silly. 

October 20, 2014 3:46 pm  #23

I have to come out and say I absolutely love all of Amanda and Simons exchanges.
They particulary seem to bring the best out of Amanda and stop her having beefs about anything else.
When I first started following them both on Twitter, I think it was when Martin was away hobbiting,
Amanda and Simon planned and took the kids to Legoland, all told via Twitter.
It was fab.
Mind you.Simon could do anything for me,I adore him.

Last edited by besleybean (October 20, 2014 3:47 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 20, 2014 4:20 pm  #24

Liberty wrote:

The Star Trek puns are kind of childishly funny .   I don't think it's meant to be cruel, just silly. 

I don't think it's meant to be cruel, either. Careless sounds more like it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 20, 2014 4:26 pm  #25

I haven't been able to follow this really and I'm not updated on this...

But I guess it was them trying to make fun of the overreaction to the OUT interview and it's just run out of hand... that's what I think anyway

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 20, 2014 4:37 pm  #26

I just thought they were having a laugh!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 20, 2014 4:50 pm  #27

Yes, I think so.  It's just the way people talk.

October 20, 2014 4:59 pm  #28

I don't think there's any kind of second intentions behind this or deep meanings...they really are just two mates joking about, and seeing as they are both mates with Benedict, they're taking the piss out of him. Either Simon or Amanda will probably show him the tweets anyway, then proceed to take the piss out of him some more face to face. It's just what friends do. If you can't mercilessly bait your friends, then they're not your true friends. That's definitely a very British thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 20, 2014 5:19 pm  #29

Oh yes!

October 20, 2014 5:36 pm  #30

Maybe it is just a British thing then, if it's mainly the Brits finding it funny?

I think it might be the same thing as Benedict's "well-endowed" comment in the Apple interview that we were talking about in another thread - to me, that was just funny (and not at all revealing about his sexual tastes or anything). 

October 20, 2014 5:57 pm  #31

I´m probably not used to this part of British humour then.
Bordered on cheap vulgarity to me.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 20, 2014 6:03 pm  #32

nakahara wrote:

... probably a good description of a lot of British humour .

October 20, 2014 6:08 pm  #33

Liberty wrote:

nakahara wrote:

... probably a good description of a lot of British humour .

Well, maybe? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 20, 2014 6:08 pm  #34

Exactly!

October 20, 2014 9:38 pm  #35

Cheap vulgarity is an excellent summary of the majority of British humour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 20, 2014 10:23 pm  #36

Monty Python made a lot of money off cheap vulgarity.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 21, 2014 4:52 am  #37

Seems there are more people out there who don't get the British humour (and I'm still not convinced this has to do with understanding British humour or not, but well...):
http://bluebellglowinginthedark.tumblr.com/post/100490150436/milarvela-valeria2067-cumbertrekky

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 21, 2014 5:40 am  #38

Really, believe us, 2 mates having a laugh...and it would be quite diffierent 2 guys speaking about a female that way...

October 21, 2014 6:05 am  #39

Oh, would it? Why? Double standard?

Last edited by SolarSystem (October 21, 2014 6:06 am)

October 21, 2014 6:10 am  #40

Possibly.
Yet for me, that would feel more like an abuse of power.
But the point is moot, anyway.

Board footera