BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2014 9:10 pm  #1

Amanda and Simon Pegg Twitter Conversation about Benedict

If anyone has been following this over the past twenty four hours or so, it's quite hilarious...I'll also give it an 18+ warning:

https://twitter.com/CHIMPSINSOCKS/status/523935338671378434

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 19, 2014 9:33 pm  #2

Re: Amanda and Simon Pegg Twitter Conversation about Benedict

I followed it on tumblr and well, I guess it's just not my kind of humour... didn't think it was funny when it started yesterday and still don't think it's very funny today. But I have discovered that generally I sometimes can't stop laughing about Simon's jokes, and sometimes they're just not my cup of tea.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 19, 2014 10:26 pm  #3

No, doesn't really make me laugh. But like Solar, can't really say why.

"It is what it is."

October 19, 2014 10:36 pm  #4

Dayum. Maybe it's because you're German.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 19, 2014 10:38 pm  #5

I saw some of this on Facebook... it did make me giggle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 19, 2014 11:06 pm  #6

It makes me giggle.  But I'm easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 19, 2014 11:53 pm  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Dayum. Maybe it's because you're German.

Well, THAT made me laugh

Last edited by Whisky (October 19, 2014 11:54 pm)

"It is what it is."

October 20, 2014 8:43 am  #8

I actually find it funny, but I like Simon humor, so there.  It is also a big difference when the one making these jokes is a friend of Benedict and knows how far he can go or when he is a totally stranger...  

October 20, 2014 8:49 am  #9

I already said in the OUT-thread that I seldom find mingling of private circumstances and show and what arises from it funny. I don't like Amanda's comments.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 20, 2014 9:03 am  #10

Well said. My thoughts exactly. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 20, 2014 9:15 am  #11

But it's true, I'm German, I don't laugh about anything. Ever.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 20, 2014 10:19 am  #12

Well, it is true that different cultures have different humor. I click for example with the absurd dry english humor. I have difficulties to laugh at the german comedies shows (not all, but the most that comes in rtl or sat ). 

October 20, 2014 10:24 am  #13

But to be honest, I'm German and I avoid lots of German TV. Often supposed to plant the fun into your head. But I would not call this typical German humour. I also feel closer to the British one, maybe they are not that apart from each other? And as I said, what annoys me is the topic, not the way it's expressed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 20, 2014 10:59 am  #14

Yes, I love British humour, too. What bothers me about the tweets is that for them it seems to be fine to make these jokes in public. But then we should not wonder why every journalist keeps going on about Johnlock/fanfic etc. when actually they should be interviewing Benedict about something completely different. Maybe the fans are not the only reason for this deplorable tendency. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 20, 2014 11:09 am  #15

The initial remark "you bin played" is quite cute, but the rest of them are rather tasteless.
And it seems weird to make that kind of comments about the third party that is not even aware of this conversation, behind his back. It would be OK if such words were spoken on some party between friends and under the influence of alcohol... but they seem very weird presented on such a highly public place.
Susi, I agree, fans alone can hardly be blamed for this strange tendency.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 20, 2014 12:16 pm  #16

Yes, I agree. If the third party was on Twitter and had the chance to see and comment this, fine. Although I would prefer to keep such things to parties and other private occasions. 
But there is the hitch - this was meant for public consumption, for baiting fans. And that is why they put it on Twitter instead of texting or joking about it at parties. 

October 20, 2014 12:18 pm  #17

They could have chosen a more tastful way of how to do it, then.
They came as quite immature here.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 20, 2014 12:31 pm  #18

I just read the newest ones. They are getting worse. No idea why some many people find this funny. It is just tasteless and obscene. Poor Benedict.  

October 20, 2014 1:15 pm  #19

*sigh*

October 20, 2014 2:38 pm  #20

Oh dear...I said I'd keep away from the internet and I really should because I keep getting so irritated - maybe I'm getting old!!
I've got what I suppose would be described as "typically British" dark humour and I'm very good at laughing at myself so I get that kind of humour too.
I didn't like this, though - BC isn't gonna see it, presumably, so I have to ask if they're having a rather cruel joke at his expense, or if was intended to bait fans following the OUT interview - I don't get it...why didn't they carry on the joke by private text?
I like Simon Pegg a lot, but I'm not sure about this.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera