BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2014 7:40 am  #34641

Re: Favourite Sherlock/Benedict pictures

ancientsgate wrote:

All he has to do when the subject of johnlock comes up is to keep it light. Smile and say, "Not my cuppa, I don't get it, but hey, that's what makes a horse race--  everyone likes something different," or words to that effect. No reason to make generalizations and exaggerated statements about something he knows absolutely nothing about, after all. I am not personally offended by what he said about johnlock, because I can see that he's ignorant about the truth about who writes it and why, and who reads it and why (whole college courses have been offered about this subject, after all, lol), but I wish for his sake that he could make his peace about it and stop repeating the same silly things about it over and over. I've seen him saying the line about S and J being chained together on a bed floating through space, in both print and TV interviews with him, at least 5 times, over the last several years.

But it would be pretty sad if the attitude of us Johnlockers forces him into this kind of self-censorship, wouldn´t it? I´d rather know his own opinions than fake PR speeches he would prepare in an effort to not insult the fans.

Also, we should remember that Johnlock fanfictions are written for similarly minded people and placed on special sites so that the fans can easily find them and the people who hate the stuff can avoid them. It is not OK for those nosy reporters to take Johnlock fanfictions outside from this area and to forcibly show them down the throats of actors who are indirectly the subject of it, or to constantly bring this stuff out in an interview despite it being completely irrelevant in scope of actors work. I still remember how the reporter Caitlin Moran took one of such fanfictions on the public event where the staff of Sherlock just promoted S3 and forced Benedict and Martin to read the work outloud, during the live broadcast of the event, humiliating them both and the author of the piece in one swipe. It´s probably the unpleasantness of such occurences what negatively coloured Benedict´s opinion on fanfiction as a whole.

That aside, I would really like to know where did he read this stuff about Sherlock and John floating through the space on their bed. Sounds interesting.

And now back to some Benedict´s pictures:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 15, 2014 8:23 am  #34642

Swoon.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 15, 2014 8:24 am  #34643

Yes, pictures are a good idea.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 15, 2014 9:01 am  #34644

This one is pretty good too - beautiful spectre behind the window glass:

October 15, 2014 9:09 am  #34645

October 15, 2014 11:14 am  #34646

Amazing, simply amazing!! 

Black and white turns lethal even worse...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 15, 2014 11:26 am  #34647

nakahara wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Sorry, can I just leave this here?
A picture in a picture thread?
Good morning!

Beautiful one, tobe!
Good morning to you too.

Great and wonderful!   

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

October 15, 2014 11:28 am  #34648

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Oh, yes, it does

October 15, 2014 12:07 pm  #34649

EYES.  That's all.  EYES.

"A true friend stabs you in the front" - Oscar Wilde

October 15, 2014 12:36 pm  #34650

More like two shining gems.

October 15, 2014 1:32 pm  #34651

This thread, this man really helps healing... so sick of being sick. But wow! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 15, 2014 2:17 pm  #34652

nakahara wrote:

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Oh, yes, it does

Hia umbrella sparkles with the shining tears of a thousand fangirls.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 15, 2014 2:19 pm  #34653

nakahara wrote:

You're exactly right - I actually have gemstones that color.  Must go stare at them right now.

October 15, 2014 2:26 pm  #34654

Heidzer wrote:

nakahara wrote:

You're exactly right - I actually have gemstones that color.  Must go stare at them right now.

They have that hypnotising effect on a person... Could be dangerous.

October 15, 2014 3:09 pm  #34655

nakahara wrote:

Heidzer wrote:

nakahara wrote:

They have that hypnotising effect on a person... Could be dangerous.

Something especially soothing about that blue/green aquamarine color, I love it.  Wouldn't mind having those eyes to look at every day to, you know, ease stress and stuff..... ;)

October 15, 2014 5:34 pm  #34656

Heidzer wrote:

Tinks wrote:

I agree with you Liberty, and it's great that he's honest and hasn't allowed himself to be turned into a Hollywood cutout.
On the issue of the fanfic though, he absolutely knows by now how defensive people get about it; he's seen the problems Amanda had for seemingly criticising it, for instance.
Personally I didn't think he said anything too bad about it, and I think his real issue is that he has created his own version of Sherlock that doesn't fit with the version in some of the fics (maybe that proves Ancientgate's point that he's a little self absorbed - I don't know), but either he doesn't care if he risks alienating some fans, or he does need to be careful sometimes, because he was definitely unhappy once before when the Press seemed to turn on him, so I can't imagine him being OK with an outpouring of vitriol towards him from a section of fans.
For the record, I think people who are overreacting to his comments need to relax a bit; he's human and to expect him to be perfect at all times is unrealistic and scary.
Oh, and nakahara - I completely agree with you on the issue of his privacy.

Personally I find the whole johnlock thing gross, I think it just reduces something he's worked very hard to perfect to the lowest common denominator - smut - and something it's not, a homosexual relationship ("not that there's anything wrong with that"- Jerry Seinfeld).  The rage on tumblr is ridiculous, almost like "we made you and we can take you down". Sorry tweens, you did not MAKE him, he's fucking brilliant at his job without you, and true fans would not think to say something so entitled and downright stupid. Maybe he's disgusted by it, maybe he thinks it cheapens what he's spent years building. If anything this will separate the men from the boys, if you're a fan of his work and respect his views and his personal space - good for you, if you're a fanfic writer who thinks he OWES you his adoration for your stories, then suck it up, life is about to get very hard for you.  Honestly the sense of entitlement boggles, altogether too much time spent alone with a computer instead of out in the real world dealing with REAL THINGS.  I love that he was so honest, and it was my feeling that the author didn't twist what he said or sensationalize it, that he used it pretty much verbatim.

Thank You.

October 15, 2014 5:42 pm  #34657

A little prejudiced we are today, aren't we? 
But then, this should be discussed in the thread that was made for it.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 15, 2014 5:45 pm  #34658

I was just about to write something similar, Harriet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 15, 2014 5:48 pm  #34659

And just to come back to topic:

SolarSystem wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 15, 2014 5:55 pm  #34660

Right. A Thudder! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera