BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2014 8:42 pm  #34621

Re: Favourite Sherlock/Benedict pictures

I agree with you Liberty, and it's great that he's honest and hasn't allowed himself to be turned into a Hollywood cutout.
On the issue of the fanfic though, he absolutely knows by now how defensive people get about it; he's seen the problems Amanda had for seemingly criticising it, for instance.
Personally I didn't think he said anything too bad about it, and I think his real issue is that he has created his own version of Sherlock that doesn't fit with the version in some of the fics (maybe that proves Ancientgate's point that he's a little self absorbed - I don't know), but either he doesn't care if he risks alienating some fans, or he does need to be careful sometimes, because he was definitely unhappy once before when the Press seemed to turn on him, so I can't imagine him being OK with an outpouring of vitriol towards him from a section of fans.
For the record, I think people who are overreacting to his comments need to relax a bit; he's human and to expect him to be perfect at all times is unrealistic and scary.
Oh, and nakahara - I completely agree with you on the issue of his privacy.

Last edited by Tinks (October 14, 2014 8:45 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

October 14, 2014 8:46 pm  #34622

nakahara: any way I can break him free?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

October 14, 2014 8:56 pm  #34623

Tinks wrote:

On the issue of the fanfic though, he absolutely knows by now how defensive people get about it; he's seen the problems Amanda had for seemingly criticising it, for instance.
Personally I didn't think he said anything too bad about it, and I think his real issue is that he has created his own version of Sherlock that doesn't fit with the version in some of the fics (maybe that proves Ancientgate's point that he's a little self absorbed - I don't know), but either he doesn't care if he risks alienating some fans, or he does need to be careful sometimes, because he was definitely unhappy once before when the Press seemed to turn on him, so I can't imagine him being OK with an outpouring of vitriol towards him from a section of fans.

If it´s true that people are hunting actors down like an inquisition just over the fact that they don´t like fanfiction, then it´s absolutely scary. And disturbing. And wrong.

Even as an avid Johnlocker and a reader of said fanfictions I believe people are fully entitled not to like any of it. Their personal tastes does not hurt my nor anyone else´s enjoyment of those things, if they do not actively try to somehow ban it or remove it from the internet. 

I heard lately that Benedict is a vegetarian. I´m sure most of his fans eat meat. Should we stuff steaks down his throat now just because it fits our gusto? 

People should get over themselves because this is quite childish - and the world has much serious problems we should solve than being pointlessly enraged over stuff some celebrity said.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 14, 2014 8:57 pm  #34624

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

nakahara: any way I can break him free?

Oh, I´ll release him tomorrow. I would not stand to see him imprisoned for too long. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 14, 2014 9:02 pm  #34625

nakahara wrote:

So this interview caused some bad rap abou Benedict? That´s what I call "a storm in a watercup". 

I read it but I´m quite puzzled what exactly did people find so offensive (it is also not the first Benedict´s interview that threw people into rage over some fairly innocent remark taken out of context, but those previous cases were equally pointless). 

He didn´t like people disturbing his privacy althrough he is a celebrity and he should be used to it by now? But why should he be disturbed at all when he is obviously having a private, possibly serious conversation with somebody else? People don´t own him just because they saw him on TV nor does he own them anything over the fact. He is most polite to people who meet him in conventions and public events where it is expected that he should be photographed and spending time with fans. What he does outside this area is his own thing and he should not be judged too harshly for wanting to have this part of his life solely for himself.

(Not that he was all that rude to the woman who approached him. He refused her quite politely, IMHO.)

Not liking Johnlock fanfiction is similarly not a crime. There are people who hate Johnlock as a whole and are their worse human human beings for it? Probably not.

Of course, we can´t know merely from this interview if he is really pretentious or not, but... if his pretentiousness is only manifested by taking part in charities, playing his roles as good as he possibly can and hating unwanted attention, I see no harm in it. More harmless egoist like this, please!  

Preach it, sister!

October 14, 2014 9:14 pm  #34626

I wish he knew a little more about fanfic - it seems he has not the slightest idea about content and quality and intention of most works. But then, perhaps it is quite a lot to ask of him - him of all people   

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 14, 2014 9:16 pm  #34627

Edgeucated wrote:

Preach it, sister!

OK. 

I should maybe add that Ben had at one time the most unpleasant experience with a stalker who stalked him in his own home - then posted his every move on a Twitter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9925578/Sherlock-star-Benedict-Cumberbatch-is-cyberstalked.html

And how did he dealt with a woman? Well, upon realising that the person must be his neighbour, he asked his friend to knock at the door of the said stalker and politely asked her to stop.

That´s how unfriendly and pretentious he really is. 

Now, when he sat together with the reporter, reporter saw just those two women - Benedict maybe saw one more piece from the long chain of obssessive people who shadow his every step. 

October 14, 2014 9:42 pm  #34628

SolarSystem wrote:

There's more...

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

October 14, 2014 10:39 pm  #34629

Goodness, some people should really take a deep breath, walk their dog or something. Amazing, truly amazing. People on tumblr are asking him to apologize because he said rude things. Seriously? Apologize to whom? And for what exactly? For stating his opinion? For being honest? Or for, maybe, having a not so brilliant day to give a brilliant interview that makes the whole fandom happy?
I only hope they printed what he really said and didn't try some 'creative freedom' on his answers. And I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about and that some of his answers might not be hailed by the whole fandom. Whatever 'fandom' means anyway, since it consists of so many different people with different opinions, background, history, experiences.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 15, 2014 1:24 am  #34630

Tinks wrote:

Having initially seen the fuss about this interview, my first thought was that if there's an uproar about his comments this time, he can't complain because he must know by now that there's every chance that if he makes a disparaging comment, it'll get printed.

Agreed. If he doesn't know that, then he really is living in la-la land.

Having read it again - it's not that bad; he's not being really rude about fanfic - he just seems a little bewildered by some of it.

Bewildered?  I thought he was totally disparaging of it, speaking with some vehemence about a subject he apparently has no first-hand knowledge of. You can tell by some of the things he said that he's been told a lot of things about slash fan fic, but he's never actually read any of it--  indeed, why should he? No straight male worth his salt would ever, ever, ever read fiction involving sex between two men; two women, oh, yeah, that would be way okay, but not two men.  But anyway, the idea that all fan fic is written either by a) children or b) sexually frustrated middle-aged women with a lot of time on their hands couldn't be further from the truth. And the way he talked about the johnlock sex, about S and J (actually, did he say Sherlock and John, or "me and Martin", I can't remember) being chained together on a bed floating through space or whatever it was. Whaaa?? 

He's not even rude about fans really, he just says that sometimes he finds the attention difficult - he's been too candid in the way he's expressed himself maybe, but sometimes fans unfortunately can be rude and entitled - a small section of them anyway.

No, he was too well brought-up to be on-purpose rude to someone's face. But muttering under his breath about oh, here we go....  two florals sitting over there looking.....  blah, blah. I was a bit sad about that, that he thought he had to say that. Again, could be a guy thing, I suppose, and if it had been two gorgeous 20-somethings dressed in florals who'd been peeking at him, he would have kept his trap shut. ???  I dunno.

Amanda has done this with Martin - his public persona is a million times different since he got together with her, and he admits it's her that encouraged him to change his manner with journos and fans!!

I dunno. He and AA have been together for like 10 years or something, and yet Martin was very busy giving the finger to every camera he saw pointed at him for a while there, a couple of years back.  I imagine he comes and goes with his impatience with his own celebrity, as they all do.

Just my own opinions, two cents marked down from five. I'm old enough to be the man's mother, so my attitudes and ideas about him are colored by that, and I realize most of you here are decades younger than I.

October 15, 2014 1:36 am  #34631

nakahara wrote:

Even as an avid Johnlocker and a reader of said fanfictions I believe people are fully entitled not to like any of it. Their personal tastes does not hurt my nor anyone else´s enjoyment of those things, if they do not actively try to somehow ban it or remove it from the internet.

All he has to do when the subject of johnlock comes up is to keep it light. Smile and say, "Not my cuppa, I don't get it, but hey, that's what makes a horse race--  everyone likes something different," or words to that effect. No reason to make generalizations and exaggerated statements about something he knows absolutely nothing about, after all. I am not personally offended by what he said about johnlock, because I can see that he's ignorant about the truth about who writes it and why, and who reads it and why (whole college courses have been offered about this subject, after all, lol), but I wish for his sake that he could make his peace about it and stop repeating the same silly things about it over and over. I've seen him saying the line about S and J being chained together on a bed floating through space, in both print and TV interviews with him, at least 5 times, over the last several years.

But yeah, everyone needs to take a breath. I think if Ben did, his fans might find it easier to as well. Just a thought.

October 15, 2014 1:39 am  #34632

nakahara wrote:

Now, when he sat together with the reporter, reporter saw just those two women - Benedict maybe saw one more piece from the long chain of obssessive people who shadow his every step. 

Interesting thought, thanks for sharing it: I never thought of that. Maybe he's scared. After all, the public can be a pretty scary place these days for everyone, and for celebrities, undoubtedly even more so.

October 15, 2014 1:42 am  #34633

SolarSystem wrote:

.........whatever 'fandom' means anyway, since it consists of so many different people with different opinions, background, history, experiences.

And fandom skews young, especially tumblr, from what I understand. There's nothing like the passion of a young person involved in their first serious celeb crush. Says me, who almost *perished* of Beatlemania, back in the day. If we'd had the internet in the 60s, OMG, I cannot imagine it.

October 15, 2014 4:03 am  #34634

Sorry, can I just leave this here?
A picture in a picture thread?
Good morning!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 15, 2014 4:09 am  #34635

ancientsgate wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

A couple of things in the interview made me a little sad.

Me, too. In fact, a lot of it did. It might be what the article's author chose to pick out and use out of that interview, of course, or the slant that an "Out" reader would expect from that particular magazine, I don't know. As an older, straight female, of course nothing in the magazine would be "aimed at" me in any way, shape or form, editorially, so I shouldn't be surprised that any type of article in "Out" didn't exactly do it for me.

He sounded a bit trapped by his new life, and that's sad. Not surprising, but a bit sad. He seems very self-absorbed-- a wife and kids would soon burn a lot of that out of him, of course, but as long as it's just he, himself and him, not even a dog as a pet, then he can buy into the idea of the whole world seemingly revolving around him and his own needs.

I was frankly surprised by his disdain for the fans gawking at him in public and of his deliberately refusing photos and autographs, but I don't know why it surprised me. I remember a year or so ago, when someone on the internet  posted photos of him and and a female friend in some public cafe, draping napkins over their heads and faces because they were sick of being looked at. That's okay, but if you don't like it, stay home. Or wear a disguise. It wouldn't be difficult to escape most notice.

I dunno. Whatever. He lives in a world that I can only imagine, so I should shut up. Shutting up now......

I am not at all surprised at his disdain for the "florals" who were starting to gawk at him and take notice, (and did in fact charge over and interrupt the interview) in fact I was relieved to hear that he's NOT the nicest guy in the world and that it does bother him and most important that he sets boundaries and politely sticks to them. I don't see why he should stay home rather than be gawked at.  Don't people have any manners at all?  I would never in a million years approach him if I saw him at a restaurant or someplace where he's clearly not working (or even if he is). Firstly, I don't know him. I recognize him, but I don't know him.  So would I interrupt his personal business to say I'm a fan (I'm sure he couldn't care less at that point) and then ask him for something? No! How awkward. My mother taught me to mind my own business, intruding on someone's personal space and demanding something of them is just beyond rude. I can't imagine doing it OR putting up with the constant intrusion by people who don't have the good sense to recognize a boundary and not cross it.  Happy to hear that he won't accommodate everyone every time they ask, he doesn't have to, he owes us nothing.

"A true friend stabs you in the front" - Oscar Wilde

October 15, 2014 4:29 am  #34636

Tinks wrote:

I agree with you Liberty, and it's great that he's honest and hasn't allowed himself to be turned into a Hollywood cutout.
For the record, I think people who are overreacting to his comments need to relax a bit; he's human and to expect him to be perfect at all times is unrealistic and scary.
Oh, and nakahara - I completely agree with you on the issue of his privacy.

Personally I find the whole johnlock thing gross, I think it just reduces something he's worked very hard to perfect to the lowest common denominator - smut - and something it's not, a homosexual relationship ("not that there's anything wrong with that"- Jerry Seinfeld).  The rage on tumblr is ridiculous, almost like "we made you and we can take you down". Sorry tweens, you did not MAKE him, he's fucking brilliant at his job without you, and true fans would not think to say something so entitled and downright stupid. Maybe he's disgusted by it, maybe he thinks it cheapens what he's spent years building. If anything this will separate the men from the boys, if you're a fan of his work and respect his views and his personal space - good for you, if you're a fanfic writer who thinks he OWES you his adoration for your stories, then suck it up, life is about to get very hard for you.  Honestly the sense of entitlement boggles, altogether too much time spent alone with a computer instead of out in the real world dealing with REAL THINGS.  I love that he was so honest, and it was my feeling that the author didn't twist what he said or sensationalize it, that he used it pretty much verbatim.

"A true friend stabs you in the front" - Oscar Wilde

October 15, 2014 5:15 am  #34637

Ah, so here´s where the "Out"-discussion is. 

I don´t want to add to it, I liked his interview and his attitude is completely understandable if you keep in mind he is a normal human being (I can´t find anything self-absorbed in the fact he sometimes likes his privacy and isn´t completely educated about the different dimensions of fanfic-culture).

Just wanted to say I find the pictures absolutely stunning and thud-worthy.. 

October 15, 2014 6:19 am  #34638

Thank you Tobe, that's an amazing Sherlock shot!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 15, 2014 6:42 am  #34639

SolarSystem wrote:

Goodness, some people should really take a deep breath, walk their dog or something. Amazing, truly amazing. People on tumblr are asking him to apologize because he said rude things. Seriously? Apologize to whom? And for what exactly? For stating his opinion? For being honest? Or for, maybe, having a not so brilliant day to give a brilliant interview that makes the whole fandom happy?
I only hope they printed what he really said and didn't try some 'creative freedom' on his answers. And I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about and that some of his answers might not be hailed by the whole fandom. Whatever 'fandom' means anyway, since it consists of so many different people with different opinions, background, history, experiences.

Absolutely nothing to add!!!

And tobe, a pic in a picture thread? I love this one!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 15, 2014 7:17 am  #34640

tobeornot221b wrote:

Sorry, can I just leave this here?
A picture in a picture thread?
Good morning!

Beautiful one, tobe!
Good morning to you too.

Board footera