BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2012 12:03 am  #1

Benedict Cumberbatch - Cheltenham Music Festival

Benedict Cumberbatch - Cheltenham Music Festival

A quick interview backstage with Benedict Cumberbatch, ahead of his WW1 Piano & Poetry event at Cheltenham Music Festival 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZbce9oMmVc&feature=youtu.be

July 14, 2012 3:17 am  #2

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch - Cheltenham Music Festival

More about Benedict's appearance can be found HERE

This is a comprehensive list of what he read.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 14, 2012 9:21 am  #3

Oh, that's a beautiful programme, together with the music, would have love to be there. I remember we did "Dulce et decorum est" at school, and it has stayed with me ever since.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 14, 2012 4:27 pm  #4

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/wars-words/story-16535062-detail/story.html

THE voice was familiar, but the subject matter was far removed from the quirky tales of Sherlock Holmes.

Benedict Cumberbatch, star of the recent TV series, brought the horrors of the First World War to life with evocative poems and prose.

Intertwined were wartime- related piano pieces including Ravel, Debussy and Stravinsky and snippets of information from a military historian.

An interesting mix and although there were some moments of hesitation when it came to whose turn it was next, it worked pretty well.

Cumberbatch, with his deep, clear voice, breathed life into a personal selection of poignant and graphic readings – bayonet training from Siegfried Sassoon's Memoirs of an Infantry Officer, DH Lawrence's delight at failing his medical and the anguish of an officer for his lost men in EA Mackintosh's In Memorium.

More famously, were the classic Wilfred Owen poem Dulce et Decorum Est and John McCrae's In Flanders Fields.

Military historian Margot van Bers Streeter gave a factual and fascinating slant on the war from numbers killed to life in the trenches. Mud, barbed wire and mustard gas were the things that caused the most misery, she said.

The choice of music echoed the readings with calm, rippling phrases through to crashing chords that echoed the horror of battle.

Pianists Katya Apekisheva and Charles Owen were outstanding, bringing tone and texture to a range of pieces, opening with Debussy's En Blanc et Noir and the mournful Page d'album.

Stravinsky's lively Souvenir d'une Marche Bouche was followed by the brisk March Militaire by Enrique Granados and pacifist Frank Bridge's poignant Lament for Solo Piano, a memorial to the sinking of the liner Lusitania.

But it was Charles Owen's masterful playing of Ravel's Frontispiece and Le Tombeau de Couperin that earned most applause.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 14, 2012 5:43 pm  #5

I wish we could hear that "deep, clear voice breathing life...."    Maybe something will come out on youtube.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera