BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2014 9:05 am  #41

Re: Women's Rights

A bit different in the UK where we have school uniforms...
The teenage girls where skirts as short as belts, showing the whole world what they have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 10, 2014 3:23 pm  #42

I hated skirts when I was a little kid. They interfered with tree climbing and ditch crawling activities. Luckily, my parents didn't force me to wear them. 

Now I'm an adult I do wear them and enjoy wearing them but I still don't really see the point of them for children. 

October 10, 2014 3:26 pm  #43

I have to admit that I love skirts and dresses on my little one. She looks soooo adorable in them...

But on the other hand she likes playing football un kindergarten and had a Darth Vader costume for carneval. That's all right by me.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 10, 2014 3:38 pm  #44

My older ones put on whatever they like anyway. I can vocalize my appreciation or concern but from a certain age of course your influence fades away. I like what Schmiezie mentioned though that children should learn about dress codes. There's nothing wrong with that IMHO.
An advantage I see with school uniforms is that there would be less discussion and emphasis on what is currently the thing to wear or the shop to buy because it is always gruesome for the poorer pupils.

Last edited by mrshouse (October 10, 2014 3:39 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

October 10, 2014 3:40 pm  #45

Well if the girl likes it there's obviously no problem. People are different and lots of girls love to dress up as little princesses. 
Preferring trousers is just my personal taste. And I find it more practical for playing children, that's all. 

October 10, 2014 3:53 pm  #46

another option 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/nils-pickert-german-dad_n_1840290.html

Last edited by Harriet (October 10, 2014 3:55 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 10, 2014 5:25 pm  #47

I remember that story.  What a great Dad!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 10, 2014 9:06 pm  #48

That's wonderful.  Yeah, I was just gonna say - men are given a mixed view too when they're too "feminine" or do 'girl' things.  The equality issue is for everyone!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 10, 2014 9:12 pm  #49

Russell wrote:

That's wonderful. Yeah, I was just gonna say - men are given a mixed view too when they're too "feminine" or do 'girl' things. The equality issue is for everyone!

Amen!  Some men look hot in pink.  

Everyone should be free to be their authentic selves without judgement from society.  If you're going to judge someone, judge them by their honesty, their kindness, their passion,  or lack of any of these.

Last edited by tonnaree (October 10, 2014 9:12 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 10, 2014 9:46 pm  #50

Thank you!!  I feel guilty of this, but my case in point… isn't it a sign of the male/female divide that's so hard to escape soaking in a little from society (even if you believe in equality) that when, for example, you see a guy in a pink shirt, you think 'Oh wow, he's actually wearing pink!' in surprised appreciation? 
Gag, and don't even get me started on the 'typical' baby/little kid clothing styles and colors that usually dominate the boys/girl departments, as was being discussed.  If they like it, fine, but not a lot of variety if they choose not to.  Saw an amazing article a while back about a mom getting a major chain's attention, for once, by blogging/taking pictures about the ridiculous size difference and amount of material used for boy shorts versus girl shorts, for the same age of little kids (and yes, the girl shorts were skimpy.  companies really like to start ingraining that attitude young!)   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 10, 2014 10:45 pm  #51

With regard to skirt sizes, it has to be culturally appropriate. Not that this will stop Walmart or which ever chain that's promoting skimpy skirts. Some cultures like to emphasize large butts (African/Pacific Island), some cultures like to emphasize big boobs (European) and some cultures like to emphasize small feet (Asian).

Whatever you're selling or promoting has to strike a balance between gender appropriate and cultural defined. If we break the gender stereotype for specific cultures, it will do more harm than just plain "leave us girls alone". It's a very delicate balance and like religion, culture is extremely difficult to break and is one of the main things sustaining gender differences.

Last edited by saturnR (October 10, 2014 10:47 pm)

October 11, 2014 7:52 am  #52

I have to be honest, saturn, I'd never really thought of that aspect of skirts.
I was more on them being long enough, so you are decent.
Bit more than that.
In some cultures, why just females in skirts?
Even in Scotland, men tend to only wear kilts for special occasions.
I wish men would wear them all the time.
Nothing better than a man in a skirt.
But actually, why skirts at all?
They are totally impractical.

Last edited by besleybean (November 3, 2014 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 11, 2014 11:18 am  #53

For years conservative christians railed about what an abomantion it was for women to wear pants.
This confused me greatly because you know that NO ONE in the Bible wore pants.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera