BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2014 1:41 pm  #1

Mycroft's testimony

(Not sure if this is the right place to post this…)

I’ve just finished reading Mycroft’s Testimony by Sophie Bellocq-Poulonis. It’s in French and I don’t think it’s ever been translated. I really enjoyed this reading so I wanted to share my impressions with you, well, that is, if anyone’s interested 

It is a small book, the story itself is about 60 pages long and there is a psychopathological study of SH at the end of the book. I don’t claim having read a lot of SH related books (I mean, other than ACD’s work, obviously) so maybe that’s there’s nothing new in this book for those who have read a lot of books about our favourite detective. Still, I really enjoyed the reading. Note that the book was published in 2009 so before Sherlock arrived on BBC.

The story starts with the (fictional, obviously !) great-great-grand daughter of John Watson (John’s son was called William Scott Watson, something that should please the Johnlockers, hehe) telling us she has inherited texts of exclusive adventures of SH & JW and a text written by Mycroft Holmes in 1930, not long before his death. This is this text which is delivered to us here. Therefore, the story is written in the first person and from Mycroft’s POV.

Mycroft explains that Sherlock had a twin called Arthur and who the Holmes family called Arty. Arty was evil, and he was really bad to Sherlock. Sherlock was literally his punchbag.

When the twins were about 7 year old, Arty was found dead, floating in the house’s pond. Mycroft found Sherlock in tears, a few hours later, huddled up in the outhouse, terrified, swinging back and forth, repeating « Mori Arty » (mori, -ior, -eris, moriuus sum… here it could simply mean « Arty is dead »)

Although Sherlock claimed it was an accident, his mother was convinced he had killed Arty and from that moment, despised him. He lost his mother’s love. He went to the South of France where he lived a couple of years with the parents while Mycroft was making a name for himself in the British Government. When they came back, nothing had changed. Sherlock and his mother’s relationship was still as tense.

Then Mycroft explains Sherlock was brilliant at University, and told the story of his meeting with John Watson through Mike Stamford, though explaining he had himself studied several profiles (including John’s) to find a good flatmate for Sherlock, someone he could trust and who would allow him to indirectly keep an eye on his brother (who had turned to drugs and all when their parents both died the same day earlier in the story: Mycroft refuses to say what has happened)

Mycroft explains John clearly exceeded his expectations and that Sherlock felt better and better with him around. Learning to be « someone » (and not the shadow of his late twin) and slowly overcoming his traumatism.

But then John got married to Mary and Sherlock was devastated. He became really addicted to cocaine, fell into a deep depression for which John was both the responsible and the perfect antidote as Sherlock was only feeling better when John visited him at Baker Street or followed him in another adventure.

At the same time, London was the theater of horrible crimes committed by the man people called « Jack the Ripper ».

Mycroft was more and more worried for his little brother who fell deeper and deeper into darkness. He talked to Professor Gull, the personal doctor of the Royal Family, who decided to help him. Gull asked a lot of questions about Sherlock, tried to understand his traumatism better etc.

On his deathbed, that doctor called Mycroft and said he had two revelations to make. The first one concerned the royal family (Mycroft had to make one of its members « disappear » because he had syphilis and that it would have darkened the reputation of the family) and the other concerned Sherlock. Dr Gull had no proof but he was convinced Sherlock and Jack the Ripper were the same person a bit like Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde (that book was published a year or so prior to the events). That Sherlock had been so badly treated by his twin that he had kept a lot of violence inside him, and that he killed prostitutes because John had abandoned him for a woman and that it was a way to get revenge.

Mycroft then realised Sherlock had made up the character of Moriarty (« Mori… Arty… », remember ?) because he wanted to have a decent enemy, and because he had hallucinations. But if he wanted Sherlock to get rid of Moriarty (in his mind, that is), he had to « make him real », so he hired an actor to play the part of Moriarty and elaborated a complex stratagem which ended up to be… the Reichenbach Falls scene !

Of course, Watson had to believe Sherlock was really dead so that he could tell the whole world about it and convince everyone as he was convinced himself.

Mycroft then sent Sherlock three years into a mental institution, and he only came back after the death of Mary Morstan.

Mycroft finally tells that he never dared to talk about Jack the ripper to Sherlock and that Sherlock took the secret to his grave…

Well, this is a very quick and lame summary but you get the idea !

It was very well-written and interesting to read about Mycroft’s deep concern about his brother.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (September 6, 2014 2:01 am)

Just like old times...

September 5, 2014 2:01 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft's testimony

I don't know if that sounds more like bad fan fiction or like something Moftiss actually read!

I'm going to see if I can find a copy. Now that I've read most of the ACD stories, I'm more interested in the broader Sherlock Holmes universe. Thanks for the info about this book!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 5, 2014 3:06 pm  #3

Yes, I know! When I started to read about the twin brother and all, I thought "oh my..." but I must admit I quickly got hooked (and you read it quickly too as it is only 60 pages)

The whole twin brother's death, Sherlock possibly turning into a evil murderer (Mycroft's biggest regret at the end is that Jack the Ripper had never been arrested, therefore it leaves doubts about Sherlock, and Mycroft doesn't know how he would react if he ended up knowing Sherlock truly was that murderer).... it's true it all sounded like bad fanfic, yet I enjoyed it because the way it is told by Mycroft, with his doubts, his concern about his little brother... make it "believable", it is well written.

And in the end, he wants Sherlock to feel better and as Sherlock gets more and more obsessed by Moriarty and is not aware he is an "hallucination" (and Watson does believe in Moriarty too as he believes what Sherlock tells him about this enemy), Mycroft says that the only way to free Sherlock of his hallucinations is to elaborate a  Machiavellian plan which was so complex it could turn against him anytime.

He hired a couple of thugs to keep his brother "busy" and make him feel "useful" and then hired an actor to play the part of Moriarty. So he had to make sure Sherlock thought he was fighting the Moriarty he had completely imagined, and that Watson didn't realise either that Moriarty was just an actor.

It took Mycroft months to elaborate the Reichenbach Falls scene, because Sherlock had to believe Moriarty was dead, and Watson had to believe that both Moriarty and Sherlock were dead!

Mycroft felt bad about it, but he invented all that to "save" his brother.

Yes, I wondered if Moftiss have ever heard of that little book, because at the end of HLV, if you think of it, you could also imagine that Mycroft made everything up (included Moriarty's potential come back) to save Sherlock from his "demons".

I actually think Moriarty really existed (contrary to what is said in Mycroft's testimony), but Mycroft being behind the whole "Did you miss me?" thing crossed my mind. As much as the Government is important to him, I think Sherlock is more important to him than anything else so I believe him capable of such a thing just to prevent Sherlock from going in the suicide mission. I'm not saying this is what happened, just that it could be a possibility.

Anyway, Mycroft's testimony is not the book of the century but I thought it was a pleasant read, and it was nice to read something from Mycroft's POV.

Just like old times...

September 5, 2014 4:29 pm  #4

Yup, definitely need to read this. Copies seem difficult to find. I'll be in Montreal shortly and will go ask at my favourite used book shops there. I haven't been on the hunt for a book in a while and it'll be fun.

Mary

September 5, 2014 6:05 pm  #5

I didn't know you spoke French, hehe. Are you from Quebec or have you just learnt it as a foreign language?

My only regret about the book is that, like I said, it is short. Therefore, it mostly focuses on Mycroft's feelings. There aren't a lot of details about the story itself (IE. what exactly Arty did to Sherlock, why he was like that, or the details of Mycroft's plan, you know the big lines --he hired actors-- but you don't know how it happens exactly). That's kinda frustrating...

Just like old times...

September 5, 2014 9:19 pm  #6

Punch me in the face wrote:

I didn't know you spoke French, hehe. Are you from Quebec or have you just learnt it as a foreign language?

I'm French-Canadian.

My only regret about the book is that, like I said, it is short. Therefore, it mostly focuses on Mycroft's feelings. There aren't a lot of details about the story itself (IE. what exactly Arty did to Sherlock, why he was like that, or the details of Mycroft's plan, you know the big lines --he hired actors-- but you don't know how it happens exactly). That's kinda frustrating...

It still sounds really interesting. The idea that Sherlock was in an asylum all those years!

Mary

September 5, 2014 9:24 pm  #7

Seems like a cool story. 

September 6, 2014 1:46 am  #8

Too bad it's not available in English.  I'd love to read it!  I've branched out into other author's as well.
I find Moriarty an interesting character, throughout all the Sherlock movie history.  So I was attracted to some books by John Gardner.  I wasn't disappointed.  There's 3 in the series & goes into detail about Morarty & even his brothers.  They are:  "Moriarty", "The Return of Moriarty", & I think the other one was "The Revenge of Moriarty".
Obviously I'm a huge Andrew Scott fan & love Mark Gatiss as Mycroft!  I'm curious thinking about Mycroft's next direction by Moftiss.  I wonder if they read outside of Doyle too.
I've also read Michael Robertson's books, just about some solicitors who move into 221B Baker St. & have to answer incoming post for Sherlock Holmes, lol!  Not bad!

October 10, 2014 6:47 pm  #9

I have re-watched all episodes quite often, so no, there is no scene I have not seen more than once. 

But there is one scene that makes me cringe every time - the scene in front of Sholto's hotel room. I do not like Mary forcing herself on Sherlock and John during a case, I do not like Sherlock's "Get your wife under control!" because it is very much out of character, and I do not like the way John calls him a drama queen and belittles his abilities. The only reason I watch it is Sherlock's short dialogue with Sholto which is beautiful. 

Board footera