BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2014 5:17 pm  #21

Re: Fears and Phobias

I love those too...

But I guess it's all about previous experiences and views on things...

As an example I'm fascinated by blood; and I actually love having my blood taken for tests or when I donate blood... 

but silly things like spiders and clowns freak me out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 13, 2014 5:23 pm  #22

Clowns don't scare me, I just think they are vile!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 14, 2014 1:29 pm  #23

Spiders, lizards and most bugs disgust me, but I wouldn't put those in a phobia scale, unless we were talking about large spiders and dangerous snakes (then the disgust would very likely escalate xD).

-Wasps, on the other hand, are a phobia of mine. Probably because I got stung by a few when I was a child...
-Dangerous dogs. Not a fan of dogs generally, but the dangerous ones do scare me a lot.
-Trypanophobia (needles).
-Religious fanatics and mob mentality. Being in an area of extreme misoginy (think Near East level).
-Also quite a bit of a hyponchondriac, me. And I'm afraid of bad things happening to my loved ones.
-Psychological terror is the form of horror that most gets to me.

Last edited by ArwendeLuhtiene (September 14, 2014 1:33 pm)

September 14, 2014 9:41 pm  #24

Religious fanatics! LOL, that's not a phobia, being afraid of them is completely rational! Phobias are irrational fears. 

I used to think about phobias really rationally (like c'mon, spiders in the Netherlands are never venomous, they're not dangerous etcetera), but since I have a mood disorder I've aquired all kinds of weird phobias, weirdest of which is for my own phone. Great lesson in empathy that one was. 

October 7, 2014 7:13 pm  #25

My fear of clowns is really getting out of hand.

Every Tuesday at the pediatric ward we get a visit from the same two clowns, and of course I have to go and perform some tests with some of our patients every Tuesday. Just the thought of it scares me.

Last week when I was going in to pick up a patient one of the clowns stopped me and I honestly felt like I was having a heart attack. In front of the little patient he asked me what I was going to do with the kid and I could barely speak... I almost started crying. 
Hopefully no one noticed though... but it's really unfair!

Today they were there again... the male clown was alone and had given the boys ballon pistols and one of them was really happy about shooting me with the thing... I saw the clown too but tried to ignore him as much as I can.

I really need to do something about this. I love my job! I especially love when I get to spend time with the patients... 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 7, 2014 7:14 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 7, 2014 7:15 pm  #26

I'm still with you...
Well I don't have a fear of clowns, but they are vile..I hate them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2014 7:26 pm  #27

Oh... I just remembered it's not just clowns... it's mall Santa's too...

I have never sat on Santa's lap, even as a little girl I started crying if I saw one. I actually like the idea of santa, I'm a HUGE fan of Christmas and as a kid I happily believed in the real santa (I still do actually, very much so). but show me a mall santa and see me run!

2 years ago my mother and I came across one, and she knew the man in the suit and asked him if I could shake his hand. I was so scared. My mother told him my story and the man gave me two toffees from his sack since I had been so deprived as a kid. Lol.

I was more ashamed than afraid... I was 22!

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (October 7, 2014 7:27 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 7, 2014 7:33 pm  #28

Santas are even worse!

October 7, 2014 7:40 pm  #29

Fear of clowns is surprisingly common. My daughter is much the same (she even had to shield her eyes from the glass model clowns in Murano, Venice). Johnny Depp is petrified of them. The Santa/clown thing is very similar as both have faces which are changed in their appearance. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2014 9:17 pm  #30

My daughter is afraid of clowns as well. I am not but I do not like them and cannot laugh about them. Never could, not even as a child. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 8, 2014 12:30 pm  #31

Discovered something new my daughter is afraid of.   My mom had a huge collection of ceramic dolls.  We've moved into her house but I haven't finished rearanging anything so all the dolls are still in their big case in the sitting room.  Daughter says they completely freak her out.  She says they are looking at her! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 8, 2014 1:30 pm  #32

My dad is petrified of them!

October 8, 2014 2:12 pm  #33

Haha, guess the dolls will have to go. Wasn't there a time in horror movies that ceramic dolls were used as scary images. I vaguely remember something like that. It probably has to do with the uncanny valley. 

And I don't see the point of clowns either, they're not funny, if I want to laugh I go see a comedian, not a clown. They don't look and behave like humans, even though they are. Weird, creepy, another uncanny valley. The worst is when they improvise, it always seems a bit unhinged.

Maybe it would help Phantom if she would have a chat with the clowns in her workplace when they're not in character. Then when you see them in character, you'll also see the person behind and that might break the spell. 

October 8, 2014 3:13 pm  #34

I have thought about seeing them out of costume... but they show up at the hospital in full gear... so yikes.

Dolls can be so creepy! When my anxiety in my childhood was worst I had a collection of ceramic figures, pictures etc... I had to pack them away because I felt like they were looking at me when I was going to sleep. *shivers* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

October 8, 2014 4:27 pm  #35

I never liked the 'funny' clowns as a child.  Agree they were/are never funny and I did find them a bit weird. Funnily enough I have no problem with the Pierrot type clowns, you know the ones with the white and black only makeup. Some dolls are definitely spooky!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 8, 2014 5:56 pm  #36

Phantom, so they're like cliniclowns? Someone once told me that the cliniclowns were a criminal organisation. I never checked it, it may have been gossip but a part of me wants it to be true, just for the sake of irony. 

I don't really know what Pierrot clowns are, a bit like cirque du solei? They look a bit more classy (and are actually amazing acrobats). 

October 8, 2014 6:18 pm  #37

Pierrot are black and white mime artists.

October 8, 2014 6:28 pm  #38

Oh, those with the white faces. I remember that my Protestant highschool once hired a mime artist to tell the Eastern story. That must have been the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. To be fair, as an atheist I was already prejudiced, the mime artist didn't help. 

October 8, 2014 6:33 pm  #39

We used to have a Christian clown(I know, hold me back!) coming into school....
Thank goodness we stopped that rubbish.
It's bad enough having the clown in the dog collar coming in!

October 8, 2014 6:41 pm  #40

LOL. Well at least you could put a leash on that collar. Are you sure that wasn't an S&M clown? 

Board footera