BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2014 10:17 pm  #1

Creating new villains from scratch

To me it seems that all the villains (or antagonists) from the Holmes canon such as Moriarty, C.A.M., and Irene Adler have been done so far. I don’t think there are anymore foes based the original stories that they could really use.

So it would be really interesting if Mofftiss could come up with completely original villains from scratch. I mean they do it on “Doctor Who”, so why not do it with “Sherlock”

September 26, 2014 3:49 am  #2

Re: Creating new villains from scratch

BrettHolmes wrote:

I don’t think there are anymore foes based the original stories that they could really use.

Oh, I think there are more. The one that springs to mind immediately is Baron Adelbert Gruner from "The Illustrious Client". Many good old-fashioned villains in other canon stories as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 26, 2014 4:27 am  #3

Agreed. And think of all the secret societies mentioned in canon. It's about time we see one of them and have a villain who is a member. I am sure there are villains in canon who are members of one of those. I just can't remember a special one.
Should read some canon again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 26, 2014 7:12 am  #4

And apart from characters who are already villainous in canon, we've seen with Mary that Mofftiss don't have problems with taking a character that is not a villain at all in canon and turn that character into... someone a little different. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 26, 2014 7:17 am  #5

I agree. Even with the established villains they have used new twists and will surely continue to do so (btw, I would love to see a Gruner-like type). How they will go about this IMO also depends on if they are going to return to a sort of one-case-per-episode scheme (which I doubt) or if they continue a wider story arc. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 26, 2014 7:25 am  #6

Speaking of villains, do you guys consider Mary to be a villain? Just the way that she is written on the show is very different to any other incarnation of Mary & her spy past could give her potential villainhood.

September 26, 2014 4:07 pm  #7

I need more data...
Maybe after S4?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 26, 2014 5:37 pm  #8

With the data I already have , I feel that she's written as a villain so far.  That could change in S4.  I love the way Amanda Abbington has played her, and the switch from likeable to sinister.  I also like the idea of changing the character of Mary.  I liked Mary in the book, but she was a rather old-fashioned character, and I'm enjoying seeing a stronger, more interesting female character with a more central place in the story. 

September 27, 2014 7:39 am  #9

And before this turns into another "Is Mary good or evil" thread,

I think there are a lot of fantastic villains in ACD's stories that could still be used in the show, whether with a modern twist or just as they are.

Baron Gruner is a bit of an old-fashioned villain, really, because the perception of relationships, starting them and ending them, and the consequences especially for women, have changed so much. But I can see how he'd still be an interesting antagonist, with his cold-hearted but totally mesmerising manner. Maybe his modern version could be not so much a Victorian womaniser but someone who ruins people in a different way, maybe a drug baron or a pimp or what have you.

I like "The Illustrious Client" especially because it has such a good ending - the villain is not killed or taken to prison, but he is still permanently neutralised, with a lot of time left to him to think about his crimes and repent. And I think that Doctor Watson really shines in it, too -  he's doing everything in his power to help the cruelly injured man even though he's a ruthless murderer, while Holmes is only concerned with securing the evidence of his crimes. Sherlock Holmes solving the crime but John Watson saving the life, once again.

Another brilliant villain that comes to mind is Bodymaster McGinty of "The Valley of Fear". I don't read that book very often because the part of it that is set in the US literally feels like a heavy weight on my chest whenever I do. But McGinty and his mafia are a brilliant creation that I could easily see transferred to the UK and used in a modern episode (and Sherlock more or less playing the part of Birdy Edwards).

There are a lot of secret societies and mafia-like organisations in ACD's stories and we've barely seen any of it yet in the show (other than the Tong in TBB; Moriarty's network doesn't really count because we never actually see any of it at work, except the man himself). I'm sure there's more of that to come.

Last edited by La Jolie (September 27, 2014 7:45 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 30, 2014 5:28 pm  #10

I would also like to state that the Cabbie in ASIP and The Black Lotus in TBB were completely original. So it is true that Mofftiss could give us foes that are from scratch since they have done it before.

As for Baron Grunner, yes I think he would make an excellent villain to do a modern take on. I would also recommend Lord Simon from The Noble Bachelor too (The Granada series with Brett did a pastiche of the story and it was called "The Eligible Bachelor) as he was very similar to Grunner in that he preyed on women although what he did was more on the lines of bigamy.

Board footera