BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2014 2:17 pm  #1

About Moriarty's Return

Technically speaking, I don't really have an issue with them bringing him back but for me, I feel that they are just doing it too soon. As one TV reviewer said "Moriarty should have remained in Sherlock’s mind palace for at least another series before he came back."

So for me it is the timing of it all. To have him come back this early seems rather desperate to me. That said, if and when he does return I do hope he helps bring the show to its glory considering that this third season didn't grip or amaze me like 1 and 2 did.

September 30, 2014 3:24 pm  #2

Re: About Moriarty's Return

Well, for me it is not just the timing but also the question if and why he should come back in person at all. It would be an enormous deviation from Canon, even bigger than what they did with Mary. I really do not want to have him back in person because for me the story was told. I know that there are a lot of Moriarty fans who would disagree but for me the story arc was complete with his death. I loved to see him in Sherlock's mind palace. And we still do not know if his "return" was not a trick by Mycroft, one of the few people who would be able to pull this off technically. Or a brother. 

For me series 3 had enough glory and I really do not need Jim Moriarty to restore it. But this is just my opinion. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2014 3:56 pm  #3

To be honest, even though Moriarty was well done, I think think he was dragged out over too much of the series already.  Thinking of it, are there only two episodes in all three series where he doesn't appear or is mentioned?  TBB and TSOT?  (Maybe he's in those too - I can't remember at the moment).   I really hope he doesn't come back, and I'm disappointed that he's going to have to be mentioned at the beginning of Series 4.   I think it's time to let go .

I admit, I did initially fall for the Mycroft/Moriarty thing at the beginning of ASiP, but it was fun - I'd like to see a more Mycroftian villain.

Last edited by Liberty (September 30, 2014 3:59 pm)

September 30, 2014 4:09 pm  #4

Hm, didn't we discuss all this somewhere before? 

Anyway, I am one of those Moriarty fans; but I don't want him back either. Some scenes in the mind palace, some flashbacks, yes.
But bringing him back seems a bit "stupid" to me - as Sherlock and Moriarty both would have faked suicide. That would be cheap. Soap opera.
So IF they really bring Moriarty back (or Andrew Scott in some other way - twin?  ) they should have a very, very, VERY clever explanation, otherwise I'd be very, very, VERY disappointed.
Meanwhile I prefer my Andrew in different movies. 
And different villains in "Sherlock".

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 30, 2014 4:12 pm  #5

Liberty wrote:

To be honest, even though Moriarty was well done, I think think he was dragged out over too much of the series already.  Thinking of it, are there only two episodes in all three series where he doesn't appear or is mentioned?  TBB and TSOT?  (Maybe he's in those too - I can't remember at the moment).   I really hope he doesn't come back, and I'm disappointed that he's going to have to be mentioned at the beginning of Series 4.   I think it's time to let go .

I admit, I did initially fall for the Mycroft/Moriarty thing at the beginning of ASiP, but it was fun - I'd like to see a more Mycroftian villain.

He is in TBB as well, at the very end when Chan communicates with "M" on her computer and is shot. 

Mattlocked: I agree, this is getting a bit repetitive. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2014 5:17 pm  #6

I think we will find out soon enough whether he coming back or not. We should pay attention to articles next year in regards to the filming of Season 4 if they mention Andrew Scott (or show photos of him) then it is possible that Moriarty might be coming back. All I can say we'll see.

September 30, 2014 5:19 pm  #7

Yeah, well... it could also just mean that Andrew is somehow involved in the making of S4. Doesn't mean he'll be back as Moriarty.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera