BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2012 8:04 pm  #41

Re: Classical music

Just whipping up support for the idea!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 22, 2013 8:48 pm  #42

<digging out the thread>

It's interesting, how many of you are interested in classical music. A few composers have been mentioned, that I like as well. :o)
I'm in no way deep into the classical sphere with founded knowlegde, but that doesn't keep me away from the enjoyment. :o)

I have a fondness for church organ compositions and choir music (and medieval chants).This is certainly owed to my past as a singer in a chantry. :o) My vocal range is based from mezzo-soprano to alto.
Now I'm only singing at home, for my own pleasure. :o)

The most beautiful alto voice I have ever heard is the one of Kathleen Ferrier, a british singer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWhRn5T-3mQ

Carl Orff was a german composer and music educationalist. His most famous and well known opus is certainly the 'Carmina Burana' with the 'O Fortuna' opening. Here is one part of another I quite like: Der Mond (The Moon):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8WY_XI77Q

A more modern twist with saxophone and organ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wIghyMlBes

Hope you like it. :o)

Last edited by reality check (June 22, 2013 8:49 pm)

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

June 22, 2013 9:02 pm  #43

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll go and check them out. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 22, 2013 9:12 pm  #44

I love classical music.  Mozart would have to be my hands-down favorite composer, but I alse love Handel, Beethoven, Rossini and Verdi, too.  I especially love opera, and my favorites on that list are "Don Giovanni" and "Il Barbiere di Siviglia".  I was so thrilled to go see "La Fille du Regiment" at the Met with Juan Diego Florez and Natalie Dessay in the leads a few years back.  Probably my favorite non-opera piece is Bach's "Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major" and Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No.1" for piano...I'm not much of a pianist, but that's probably my favorite thing to play.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 22, 2013 9:58 pm  #45

Oh yes! This is one of the things I dearly would like to do in the future - to go to an opera performance. Perhaps 'Nabucco'?
This was the favourite opera of my grandfather. Thinking of him, this comes to my mind as one of 'his' pieces as well: *Smetana * The Moldau*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0BJOcEiOM

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

June 22, 2013 10:19 pm  #46

reality check wrote:

Oh yes! This is one of the things I dearly would like to do in the future - to go to an opera performance. Perhaps 'Nabucco'?
This was the favourite opera of my grandfather. Thinking of him, this comes to my mind as one of 'his' pieces as well: *Smetana * The Moldau*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0BJOcEiOM

I used to have season tickets to the Pittsburgh Opera...but then I had kids, lol.  Now I typically watch them when the Met does their "Met at the theater", where they broadcast the play live all across the world- it's a GREAT way to check out new operas for cheap ;)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 22, 2013 8:31 am  #47

< free entry - classical music open air concert >
Kassel, Germany - Saturday, Aug, 24th in the Karlsaue park with the Staatsorchester Kassel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6449QYb9w

The last time in 2011 I missed it - in 2012 they paused because of the documenta 13 - but this year I will be there for sure! :o))

~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

November 29, 2013 8:10 pm  #48

I have to reanimate this thread since I love classical music.
I'm a total romantic when it comes to classical stuff. Especially the slavonic ones like Dvorak, Smetana and the Russian like Tchaikowsky.
There was one great experience that year. We made our vacation in Bohemia and drove along the Vlatava River near the source and we were listening to Vlatava by Smetana. It almost brought me to tears.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

February 21, 2014 7:06 am  #49

Greetings all,  I am reaching out to each of you DESPERATELY in the hopes of finding out who the composer is who produced the music that can be heard in the background of a short spotlight on B.C. as an amazing play-actor.  (I'll include the link at the bottom of this post).
The music is so elegant & perfect for the spot, then, it swells & swells until it climaxes just before Benedict's voice is heard (so fitting, that!) then it fades away, but it leaves me inspired, longing for more!!
Is my hope in vain???

[url=//api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_139295978587510&key=64faf3df2afdc25161776bb805edbea2&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fsherlock.boardhost.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fid%3D1321%26p%3D1368&v=1&libId=557bf348-5b29-497b-aa57-d8231945968f&out=http%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F78467476&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fsherlock.boardhost.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fid%3D1321%26p%3D1369&title=BBC%20Sherlock%20-%20Fan%20Forum%20%2F%20Favourite%20Sherlock%2FBenedict%20pictures&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F78467476]http://vimeo.com/78467476[/url]  ... !!!

Last edited by Harobed (February 21, 2014 7:08 am)

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 8:02 am  #50

Davina wrote:

I like Vaughan Williams' works as they are so redolent of English Folk Tunes. Holst The Planets especially Mars and Jupiter. Peer Gynt by Grieg with Hall of the Mountain King and Morning (I think that is what the latter is called) which was always played as we walked into assembly at my junior school.

Wow...Davina...I am SO happy to see Another Human Being who appreciates some of the very same musicians that I do!
So rare!
Ralph Van Williams is My Very Favorite classical composer, bar none!
Gustov Holt's "The Planets" is one of my most-fun-to-listen-to symphony's, with "Mars...bringer of war" being thee most intense & irresistable to try to sit still to!!
I went to a concert by Emerson, Lake & Palmer who preformed "Mars..." & it was SO awesome, that a full orchestra would be hard-pressed to present a more engrossing offering!!
Our veecee listed RVW's "Lark Ascending" as one of her favorite inspiring compositions, and that happens to be a CD that I have literally worn-out!
Davina, are you aware that Ralph Van Williams, Elgar, Thomas Tallis & Elgar were "running buddies"?  I find their music to be incredibly moving & nice to learn that The Gifted One's were friends!   

Last edited by Harobed (February 21, 2014 8:03 am)

Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 11:39 am  #51

I didn't realise they were close friends. That is really lovely. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 1, 2014 2:49 am  #52

Wonderful how The Classics can set a mood...or draw out one.
I love how the music behind Sherlock is serious & somber, setting the pensive mood & adding to the focus on each engrossing moment!
Would like to hear more...wonder how other composer's would have fared?

Last edited by Harobed (March 1, 2014 2:51 am)

Cracks me up always!

September 18, 2014 5:10 pm  #53

veecee wrote:

The Lark Ascending -- Ralph (pronounced Rafe) Vaughn Williams.
It always gives me chills. I hope you get a chance to hear it and like it.

I love The Lark Ascending. It is a beautiful piece of music.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

September 19, 2014 7:05 am  #54

Love Vaughan Williams. So archetypically British. 

December 22, 2014 1:29 pm  #55

I love almost any kind of classical music.  My favourite - Mozart.  One of my biggest thrills was being in  Salzburg and listening to a Mozart concert.  My husband's favourite is Beethoven, so I have listened to a lot of him too and have learned to really appreciate him in a totally loving way (Beethoven... my husband I loved from first sight). 

I also love opera, but that a bit different.  I have gone to a few over the years but Dan isn't into that as much so it is more difficult to drag him along.

My favourite pieces... hard to say - it depends on what mood I am in.  It really does make a difference.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

December 22, 2014 5:33 pm  #56

Ah, Mahler....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 23, 2014 2:54 pm  #57

When I was young I really hate classical music, I thought it was very boring and I hate when my sister was practicing for her piano lessons. But when I grew a little I started to appreciate this music and now I really like it. My favourites composers are Bach and Rachmaninov, I could listen their work all day

Last edited by MartaSt (December 23, 2014 2:55 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

January 29, 2015 2:11 pm  #58

Yesterday we started rehearsing Mozart's mass in c- minor with the choir. What a wonderful piece of music! Anyone knows it? Parts of it might be familiar from the movie " Amadeus". The scales are quite hard work!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 29, 2015 11:53 pm  #59

How did you get started on classical music? What got you hooked?

My problem is, I love listening to classical music, but I do it randomly and I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount of it. Yet many people seem to manage to have favourites, a solid knowledge... I mean the people who don't work in musical fields, who just like it. Just how do you do that? Are you listening every day after work? I just find that I always just scratch the surface, and I find it difficult to get a solid knowledge because I'm simply bad at remembering names (of composers, of musical pieces), and also I lack the time... or maybe not the time, but the right times with the right mood for the music... I'm not sure, how to listen to classical music. Do you just lie on your beds, closing your eyes, listening? I find I can either concentrate on music or on something else. Background music doesn't work for me.

Well, I know I like Bruckner. A flatmate listened to it, and I fancied the flatmate, so I started feigning interest for the music... and was fascinated. Also, I like Tschaikovsky. And I remember that I liked Chopin when I was 14 or 15. And I like Mendelsohn-Bartholdy. I'm never so sure about Mozart. Sometimes I hear something and think, wow, sometimes it just feels too... light, to easy. Don't know. I like the dark, melancholic, romantic stuff.
Any recommendations?

Also, film music is what I still love best. Because it tells such a clear story, the music. For me it started with Lord of the Rings, when I just sat in my room for hours and listened just to the music, eyes closed. The whole story would just be so visible and colourful behind my closed eyes, amazing.
I like Howard Shore, but I adore John Williams.
And Yann Tiersen is really good.

Last edited by Whisky (January 29, 2015 11:55 pm)

"It is what it is."

February 10, 2015 7:50 am  #60

Whisky, if you like music that is not too light you might listen to some of the wonderful requiem masses out there. Actually the one by Mozart is just wonderful. And I know another one which I used to rehearse with my school choir by Andrew Lloyd Webber, of course it's not classic by definition but very powerful and moving music! Shorter pieces I can recommend are " Clair de lune" and Pachelbel' s canon in c minor to start with.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera