BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2014 1:32 pm  #81

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

No - I guess if it was made as a big TV production it could work though; just wishful thinking

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 8, 2014 3:17 pm  #82

This movie truly is one of my favourites. I saw it twice at the cinema because after I watched it for the first time, it wouldn't stop haunting me until I gave in and indulged myself once again.

It's one of those films that get to you by their mere beauty. The cast, the style, the pretty much forlorn, nostalgic and melancholy feel to it all, the soundtrack - I was spellbound.
Of course, as most people, I didn't understand the film right from the beginning. It really helps to watch it several times. And to read the book.

I didn't care much for Benedict as Peter Guillam though. Sure, I liked his performance, but I was much more interested in the incredibly sad story of Bill Haydon and Jim Prideaux (left me heartbroken).

A true masterpiece of a film - I really need to watch it again soon, haven't done so in much too long.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 21, 2014 3:46 pm  #83

Today I watched "The spy who came in from the cold" (1965) with Richard Burton and Oskar Werner, and while I had already seen the movie years ago, today I made so many connections to TTSS. Both films are based on novels by John le Carré, and to those of you who liked TTSS I can only recommend to give "The spy who..." a try, as well.
The film has an even darker and more depressing atmosphere than TTSS, it seems that here absolutely everyone is playing everyone. You can't trust anyone. The ending is... a bit not good. 
And we already get to know Control and Smiley, although I would say that this Smiley has nothing in common with Oldman's Smiley.

And because I'm in the right mood now, I'll watch TTSS again tonight.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 15, 2014 6:33 pm  #84

Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.

June 20, 2014 10:59 pm  #85

Gosh, I really need to stop trying to give spy movies a chance. I wish I knew what it was that makes my brain get all blank when I watch them. Cause I decided to pop the recently acquired Blu-ray in tonight and watch it, and I can honestly say that I wasn't impressed. I did watch it until the end, but only barely, and I think I might have retained about 5% of the plot. If that.

Which isn't to say it's a bad movie. I'm sure it's fabulous if you like spy movies. And I could definitely appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it. It was brilliant how they let the silences and clandestine looks and gestures speak, how they conveyed more than any dialogue might have in their stead. I could appreciate the fantastic work of all the actors.

Maybe the movie would have made more sense to me if I had seen the TV show or read the book. But, you know, spy stuff. Just not my thing. I think I could happily live my life if any of my favourite actors stopped being cast in spy movies and I wasn't roped into trying again all over.

That said, I'm inclined to give my Blu-ray to someone who would appreciate it more than me. For free. Otherwise it'll stand in my cupboard without ever being watched again, and that's no good. Anyone want it? PM me your address. (Though it should probably be someone who is or can speak German, because a) the DVD menu is in German, and b) the bits in Hungarian and Turkish only have German and no English subtitles.)

Last edited by TeeJay (June 20, 2014 11:00 pm)

June 21, 2014 10:31 am  #86

Strangely enough, I do not like spy movies or novels either. I remember trying to watch the old TV version of TTSS and I did not understand a word. And was terribly bored. Reading "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" did not go any better. 

But with this film it was different. I am still not interested in Cold War spy stories but the excellent actors and the overall style of the film convinced me. To watch this ensemble at work is something very special. And I really loved Benedict's short scene where he sends away his boyfriend for the sake of his work and sits alone in the flat crying afterwards. 

I even understood the complicated story much better. I will surely watch it again. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 21, 2014 10:32 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2014 10:33 am  #87

I confess it's one of the many DVDs on my shelves that I wouldn't rush to watch again...though I did enjoy it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 21, 2014 10:43 am  #88

I can't say how many times I've watched this film already, because the atmosphere and the characters completely draw me in, every single time anew.
I like spy movies, but to me this isn't even just a spy movie. To me it's a movie about people in impossible situations and how they deal with it. People who have to lead a life that often leaves them alone and helpless and disaffected. Of course there is this complex spy story, but without those fascinating characters it would just be another spy movie.

Susi, I really recommend "The Spy Who Came in..." with Oskar Werner and Richard Burton, even if you didn't like the novel. Great atmosphere, great actors, just like TTSS.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 21, 2014 1:51 pm  #89

This is another one of those movies that was on my to view list well before I became a fan of Ben (I really, really, really like Gary Oldman). I knew it would be a tough story to follow, as spy stories are, so I waited for a rare afternoon where I could watch the movie straight through and I did so with subtitles. I was able to follow and even anticipate the plot in parts, which surprised me.

It definitely isn't a movie I would have watched if I was only interested in Ben, which, again, I wasn't really at the time. But Peter is another role that made me start to fall for Ben, especially the scene where he has to dismiss his lover (I just about cried with him).

I am definitely going to watch this one again.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 21, 2014 7:23 pm  #90

Yes, SolarSystem, yes! I agree with you. The main thrust is not the 'mole' spy part but the destructive effect this has on individuals' lives. The betrayals. The distrust. The tragedy.

The film of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold that you mentioned is a real classic. Again, the individual tragedies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 16, 2014 4:56 pm  #91

For all the german people here, TTSS is on german tv tonight, on Pro7maxx at 8.15 pm!

January 17, 2015 9:47 pm  #92

I watched this movie today. And I will be honest (and apologize beforehand if I offend anyone) - that was the most boring movie I've ever seen in years. I'm not saying it was a BAD movie, not at all. Acting was superb quality all around, and I am sure the technical quality was outstanding as well. Production, design, music - all good, I reckon. And besides Gary and Ben, I loved to see Ciaran Hindes, John Hurt and Colin Firth. Love these guys.

But it didn't appeal to me in the slightest. I found absolutely nothing I could relate to, nothing that interested me. The time period was boring, the setting was dark, wet, grey and brown. The stillness of the movie was horrible. And I am not saying that because I'm a teenager with short attention span who requires explotions to be entertained. I find action movies equally boring, and my all-time favorite movie is Tokyo Story (Japanese movie from the 50s).

But this movie was really not for me, at all.

However, there were two things that stood out for me:

1. Ben's acting when he breaks up with his boyfriend broke my heart. It really did, it was actually physically painful. 
2. Gary Oldman has been my hero for years, and he never ever fails to deliver. This man is a true chameleon, and he impressed me to no end.

As a coincidence, though, I actually watched the theatre play The Turning Point with Ben playing G. Burgess earlier today. Heh, that was kinda cool.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 17, 2015 9:53 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2015 10:11 pm  #93

I would have loved to have seen The Turning  Point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2015 10:33 pm  #94

It's on YouTube.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2015 10:41 pm  #95

Ooh!

Board footera