BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2012 10:32 am  #1

Americans won the war in 1776, but ..........................

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/07/04/independence-day-thought-americans-won-the-war-in-1776-but-they-are-now-defenceless-against-the-seductive-power-of-the-male-british-accent/

Americans won the war in 1776, but they are now defenceless against the seductive power of the male British accent

...........................On the other hand, several fans of British actor Tom Hiddleston have met him in Detroit recently, and had their photos taken with him.

These pix were promptly uploaded to the Internet, where they offer hope to many, while sending others into conniption fits of jealously and longing.

Oh, did I say that fans have set up a Twitter feed and web pages devoted to his voice alone? They have.

Another British actor whose dulcet tones are much admired, is Benedict Cumberbatch, star of the BBC TV show Sherlock. He plays an as-yet unnamed  villain in the coming Star Trek movie.  He was stoic, resourceful and devious-as-required as Smiley’s right-hand-man in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. He played Victor Frankenstein and his Creature (though not at the same time- talent has its limits!) in the play Frankenstein, and the filmed version, which was shown here in Montreal recently. Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston appeared together (all too briefly for fans) as British soldiers in WWI, in Steven Spielberg’s fin War Horse.

Geez, it's taken this long? I've been a pushover for any British accent for decades!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 5, 2012 10:43 am  #2

Re: Americans won the war in 1776, but ..........................

Guilty as charged.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

July 5, 2012 12:41 pm  #3

You can always rely on the Canucks to be on our side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 5, 2012 2:33 pm  #4

Yeah, but George III wasn't nearly as sexy. He was just kind of...insane.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 5, 2012 7:07 pm  #5

Only periodically! Ask the trees...they know.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 6, 2012 10:11 pm  #6

Well, "THE" British accent..?

British accents are the best thing that could have happened to the English language! 
Too bad, Americans. Too bad.

July 12, 2012 12:57 am  #7

Oh  I  am a pushover for men with british accents.  I'm American,  and  I get that we cut loose from   England way back when,  but still--God Save the Queen  and all that is British.   And,  nowadays, I'm liking English/British tv shows a lot more than the stuff USA makes.   Is that wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 12, 2012 1:04 am  #8

kazza474 wrote:

Geez, it's taken this long? I've been a pushover for any British accent for decades!

And thee's nothing wrong with that Aussie accent either Kazza.  Some of us Americans really go for that one too.
Crocodile Dundee - now there was a man!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 12, 2012 3:01 am  #9

Personally, it is a man with a French accent that does it for me. Even little Nicholas Sarkosy (spelling?!) sounded sexy until I looked at him 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 12, 2012 7:01 am  #10

hepzibah wrote:

Personally, it is a man with a French accent that does it for me. Even little Nicholas Sarkosy (spelling?!) sounded sexy until I looked at him 

The most beautiful thing about him is definitely his wife.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera