BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2014 5:50 pm  #961

Re: Germany board meet up

You do? 3 weeks to go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 2, 2014 5:27 am  #962

gently69 wrote:

You do? 3 weeks to go.

When and where will the meeting, be, please? I may be able to stop by...

February 2, 2014 9:14 am  #963

No, Doctor, isn't a "Sherlock" meeting. Totally different occasion. There aren't concrete plans for another happening so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

March 13, 2014 8:08 am  #964

Ah, Ratingen... I had such a lovely time in lovely Ratingen with you lovely ladies.

Yesterday the lovely city of Cologne sent me a letter and thereby felt free to remind me of Ratingen. They sent me a fine. Apparently someone (and I won't name any names here, of course ) made me drive a bit faster than allowed somewhere on the Autobahn around Cologne... this someone just couldn't wait to get to Ratingen as fast as possible, and so apparently I exceeded the speed limit. Just a tiny bit. A teensy bit.
Anyway. 98,50 € and 1 lovely point in the lovely city of Flensburg. I regret nothing. It was definitely worth it. And of course I will never ever drive too fast again. Nononononooooooooooo.

(Mental note to Solar: In the future always fly with MJN Air to a meet up. Lovely Martin always sticks to the rules and would never dare to fly too fast.)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 13, 2014 8:50 am  #965

Remember: only go up to 20 km/h too fast to avoid points ;)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 31, 2014 11:05 pm  #966

SusiGo wrote:

Sounds great. I can imagine us sitting there in July in a cramped hotel room, blinds drawn, sweating at 35° in the shade over 13.5 hours of Sherlock.  

Hello Ladies ;)
Sometime soon I will plan my summer holidays, so when exactly will we watch 13.5 hours of Sherlock? July, August? I don't know why, but somehow I'd like to be there when it happens *goodmemories*

Last edited by Whisky (March 31, 2014 11:07 pm)

"It is what it is."

April 5, 2014 9:33 am  #967

Oh, that is a good question. I would not want to miss this amazing event with you ladies :-)
Last time was a bit easier, having the air-date of the show. 
Maybe a doodle this time?

April 5, 2014 10:18 am  #968

Because there were a few 'disagreements" afterwards I don't want to be "in charge" of planning such an event anymore. But if anybody else like to arrange something ... I'm always interested.

(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 10:56 am  #969

I'm not sure if I could arrange it - I'm not brilliant with organizing I confess, my life is proof of that :D
But this time we wouldn't need to go to a hotel, because we don't need live BBC, right?
So we could just meet somewhere private maybe?
I don't know which kind of disagreements happend, gently, and I'm sorry they did. but maybe a more private meeting would be easier to organize... and maybe others could do the main organizing stuff this time.
Maybe we could first agree on the period when exactly we want to meet (summer? juni? july? august?). Then I could put up a doodle up with more specific dates.
And we all could think about locations, and what exactly we would like to do - watch series 3 again, what else?
Just putting my random thoughts here. what do you think?

Last edited by Whisky (April 16, 2014 10:57 am)

"It is what it is."

April 16, 2014 11:32 am  #970

Somewhere private? Well, won't be easy as well ... if there are 10 or more interested parties again. Or has anybody a place big enough? If not there has to be a location rented again and ... no overnight stays? Would be uncomfortable and puts pressure on the schedule. Unless you start in the morning and just watch S3. 4 1/2 hours already. With breaks in it ... you need to eat something ... If people have to get back home again, depending on where they have to go, you have to stop early enough.
But maybe I think to complicated and it can be done much easier.

Last edited by gently69 (April 16, 2014 11:33 am)

(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 11:52 am  #971

I would agree that it'll be difficult to do this at a private flat with so many people. And imo we will need one overnight-stay. So a hotel or a youth hostel would probably be best. 
I'm afraid though that I won't be able to volunteer to organize this...  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 16, 2014 12:09 pm  #972

I'm pretty sure I'm the source of the "disagreements", and I'm really sorry because I didn't mean to ruin anything for future meetings.

I'm not sure I'd participate in a meet-up myself, but when I read the discussion about a possible location, I had to think of the youth hostel in Düsseldorf. I haven't been there myself, but I've heard it's very nice, and I know someone who's had meetings there. I could quiz him about details if you're interested in more first-hand experience.

The JH does seem to offer meeting rooms (see http://www.jugendherberge.de/de-de/jugendherbergen/duesseldorf442/ausstattung), and they start at 150€ per day, which I guess could be split among the participants. It sounds like there are beamers and/or TVs, but I don't know whether this kind of community watching session in a more official setting may require looking into whether you'd need a license for public viewing, which I'm sure would be out of scope for the kind of meeting you're trying to organize.

The other thing that came to mind is something like a Vereinsheim, maybe one of a Kleingartenverein? They often have these little houses that you can rent for a night, and you'd be much more "on your own" and independent there.

But anyway, these are just ideas which I wanted to throw out there, in case someone wants to volunteer to look into more details for possible venues.

April 16, 2014 9:05 pm  #973

Hmm we got some space, but maybe not for 10 and I think my husband won't like it .

But I would be interested in the meeting .

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 16, 2014 11:42 pm  #974

I see your point with the many people...
I've got space here, living in a student's home. We've got a big room for parties in the basement, easily accomodates 30 people, but it's not quite as cosy as a hotel room... but we've got sofas! :-) Also the walls aren't white painted, so we would need a screen of some sort. And overnight stays wouldn't be a problem as long as everybody would be fine with a mattress on the floor - which I am not sure of!
...just offering. I wanted to do a Sherlock party anyway at some point down there... but it would be student like, not high comfort, that's the point I'm trying to make^^
(but hey, I can offer 10 mattresses, REAL ones not air ones... who else can? )

"It is what it is."

September 8, 2014 11:42 am  #975

Monday after a weekend full of scientific research.

September 8, 2014 11:51 am  #976

A brilliant way to show it.

(Tony Hadley)

September 8, 2014 11:52 am  #977

How would you know? You're not a proper scientist! 

September 8, 2014 12:11 pm  #978

Why does this seem familiar?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 12:17 pm  #979

Tell us, Susi: Is that moment, that exact same moment, included in the book? 

September 8, 2014 12:22 pm  #980

SolarSystem wrote:

How would you know? You're not a proper scientist! 

Why do say such ... things?

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera